|Birth: ||Jan. 31, 1831|
|Death: ||Sep. 20, 1905|
Note: This headstone is very old and was apparently only carved with the intitals "M.A."
Martha "Molly" ALLDREDGE was the daughter of Bowen JOHN and Cynthia Ann TODD. She married William E. ALLDREDGE 9 Aug 1849 in Carroll, Hendricks Co., IN.
Martha is listed twice on the 1850 census. She and her husband William are found on the following censuses as adults:
1850 - 10 Sept in Jackson Twnshp., Carroll Co, IN (still listed with her parents at age 19 under her maiden name of JOHN)
1850 - 7 Sept in Rock Creek and Washington Twnshps., Carroll Co, IN (age 19 and married to William ALLDREDGE)
1860 - 9 July in Nevada, Story Co, IA
1870 - 9 Aug in Jackson Twnshp., Gentry Co, MO
1900 - 16 June in Oregon City, Clackamas Co, OR
Given the times they were probably farmers, but it appears that they acquired a fairly large house upon arrival in Oregon City, which Martha used to house her unmarried adult sons as her boarders after the death of William. Martha, William, their known children, minus one, and most of their children's spouses are all buried in Mountain View cemetery, Oregon City, OR.
In 1883 Molly and William, though no longer young people, came west from Iowa with most of their adult children and such grandchildren as had been born to Oregon City, OR. There they settled and established homes that made them and most of their descendents local residents for the better part of the next two generations. An account of this wagon train journey was kept by Mary Matilda SURFUS, daughter-in-law of the wagonmaster A.F. SURFUS. It may be found at the Clackamas Historical Museum in Oregon City, OR.
Their known children:
1) Mary Elizabeth Alldredge, b. 29 July 1850 in Carroll Co., IN. D. 9 Feb 1932 in Ardenwald, Clackamas Co., OR.
Husband: George Washington Boylan.
2) Chaney Pleasant Alldredge, b. 1853 in Maxwell, Story Co., Iowa. D. 1868 in Story Co., Iowa.
3) Joseph William Alldredge, b. 25 Dec 1855 in Maxwell, Story Co., Iowa. D. 25 Feb 1941 in Oregon City, Clackamas Co., OR.
Wife: Rebecca Tomlinson.
4) Alonzo Oscar Alldredge, b. 7 May 1858 in Story Co., Iowa. D. 25 Jan 1920 in Oregon City, Clackamas Co., OR.
Wife: Eliza Jane Boylan.
5) William Wesley Alldredge, b. 29 Aug 1863 in Maxwell, Story Co., Iowa. D. 17 Jan 1920 in Oregon City, Clackamas Co., OR.
Wife: Bertrice Harriet Randall.
6) Reuben "Dube" Rudolph Alldredge, b.17 Nov 1865 in Nevada, Story Co., Iowa. D. 22 Nov 1939 in Battle Ground, Clark Co., WA.
Wife: Nella McClellan.
7) John Pleasant Alldredge, b. 15 Oct 1869 in King city, Gentry Co., MO. D. 11 May 1924 in Oregon City, Clackamas Co., OR.
Wife: Flora Adeline Marrs.
8) Frank J. Alldredge, b. 24 Sept 1876 in King city, Gentry Co., MO. D. 14 Oct 1943 in Oregon City, Clackamas Co., OR.
Wife: (1) Charlotte "Lottie" Bell Myers. (2) Bessie Crawford.
Sources: Family group sheet, obituaries, relatives, burial records, and the Federal census.
Bown Washington John (1797 - 1878)
Cynthia Ann Todd John (1810 - 1862)
William E. Alldredge (1826 - 1886)*
Mary Elizabeth Alldredge Boylan (1850 - 1932)*
Chaney Pleasant Alldredge (1852 - 1867)*
Joseph William Alldredge (1855 - 1941)*
Alonzo Oscar Alldredge (1858 - 1920)*
William W. Alldredge (1863 - 1939)*
Reuben Rudolph Alldredge (1865 - 1939)*
John Pleasant Alldredge (1869 - 1924)*
Frank James Alldredge (1875 - 1943)*
Nancy Ellen John Harding (1826 - 1903)**
Martha Jane John Alldredge (1831 - 1905)
William Tipton John (1833 - 1907)*
Daniel Webster John (1842 - 1925)*
Samuel B. John (1851 - 1924)*
Mountain View Cemetery
Plot: Old Section 140
Created by: D. Goodboe
Record added: Dec 03, 2007
Find A Grave Memorial# 23222572