John GROOVER R.S., born about 1739 in Ebenezer, St. Matthews Parish (became Effingham County in 1777), Colony of Georgia, as Johannes GRUBER, was the younger of the two sons of
• Peter GRUBER Sr. (born 1697 in the Gastein Valley, Austria, married about 1736 and died 1740, both in St. Matthews Parish, Colony of Georgia) &
• Maria KROEHR (born 1715 in Salzburg, Austria); their first child (Jr.) died within a week of his birth in 1738.
Peter GRUBER had emigrated from his family's farm in Austria, leaving behind aged parents and at least three brothers. Originally part of the majority of the Salzburgers who were heading to settle in East Prussia, his group was persuaded by an English agent to join the several Salzburgers who would immigrate to the new British colony of Georgia; both those who settled in East Prussia and those who came to Georgia were religious exiles, fleeing persecution because they were Protestant (due to the Edict of Expulsion, 1731).
Maria KROEHR, her first husband (Johann MOSSHAMER 1699-1735), her future husband (Peter GRUBER), one of her sisters, her two nieces, and two of the future husbands of those nieces, all came to Georgia on the First Salzburg Transport, the Purysburg, which arrived in Savannah on the 12th of March, 1734. The twice widowed mother of one son, Maria married thirdy, by 1750-1758, Carl FLOERL of Salzburg (1705-1764) who had arrived the 17th of February, 1736, aboard the Third Salzburg Transport, the London Merchant.
John GROOVER married on the 4th of June, 1765, by the minister of Zion Lutheran Church in Ebenezer, to
• Maria Magdalene KALCHER, born 1740-1741, died about 1810, daughter of Ruprecht KALCHER (about 1710-1752) & Margaretha GUNTHER (died after 1802), who had emigrated from Lindau to Ebenezer on the Second Salzburg Transport, the Prince of Wales, which arrived on the 28th of December, 1734.
John and Maria were the parents of six sons and one daughter, born 1766-1780:
• John GROOVER Jr (1766-1836), who married Hannah LASTINGER (1768-1837, daughter of John LASTINGER) in 1790. The couple settled in Brooks County.
• Solomon GRUBER (1769-1855), who married Elizabeth WiSE (1780-1855, daughter of William WiSE & Sarah Margaret DENMARK) in 1798.
• Joshua GRUBER (1772-1802).
• Charles GROOVER (1775-1825), who married Sarah REISER (1788-1858, daughter of Nathaniel REISER Sr & Dorothea GUGEL) in 1810.
• David GROOVER (1777-1846), who married Martha SHEFFIELD (1777-1853, daughter of William SHEFFIELD Sr RS & Mary ABBOTT) in 1799 in Bulloch County.
• Rev. William GROOVER (1778-1854), the husband of Sarah H. MILLEN (born 1790, daughter of Gottlieb Millen & Salome GUGEL).
• Elizabeth GRUBER (born in 1780), who married Henry WISE (1799-1828, son of William WiSE & Sarah Margaret DENMARK) in 1801.
Sources include: The Progeny of Peter (Gruber) Groover, b. 1697, d. 2 Dec. 1740 by Fred Lee GROOVER of Jacksonville, Florida, published 1991.
Mary Maggalene Kalcher Groover (1740 - 1810)*
John Gruber/Groover (1766 - 1836)*
David Gruber (1778 - 1846)*
Veterans Park of Effingham County
Created by: jrpv
Record added: Sep 25, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 42364270