|Birth: ||Sep. 1, 1855|
|Death: ||Apr. 10, 1935|
THE FAITH FAMILY 1882
From the Vertical Files in the Herman Brown Free Library, Burnet, Texas. The Faith Family, by Mrs. Viola Faith Hartley, of Marble Falls, and Mr. R. L. Faith of Granite Shoals. Undated.
John Newton and Addie Gentry Faith moved to Burnet County around 1882 from Commanche Texas. They bought a farm in Smithwick on the Colorado river where they farmed and raised livestock. He later operated a cotton gin. They were members of the Baptist Church. the house where they lived still stands North of 1431 highway in Smithwick, and is now occupied by the Jim Layton Cox family. A short time before his death, John Newton moved to the city of Burnet to operate a cotton gin there, while he kept the property at Smithwick. After John Newton died, March 24, 1910, his sons went back to operate the gin at Smithwick in season.
After her husband's death, Addie Faith lived at Burnet until the boys were grown, then lived with one or the other of them until she died on April 10, 1935. Both are buried in Odd Fellows cemetery at Burnet.
Husband, John Newton Faith was born near Macon, Georgia, November 28, 1855, to parents John Faith and Louvenia Annie Bell Redwine, who met and married in Murray County, Georgia (now Whitfield Co.) John's father was James Faith who was born in South Carolina, moved to Henry County Georgia before 1830 and on to Murray County in 1846. John's mother was born in North Carolina; her father Michael Redwine pioneered in Redwine's Cove, named for him.
John Newton migrated to Commanche County, Texas, while a single man, and there met and married Nancy Addaline (Addie) Gentry on July 7, 1878. Addie was born in Jackson County, Tennessee, September 1, 1855, to Green W. (Washie) Gentry and Emmiline Conaway.
The Gentry family lived in Texas before and at the time of the marriage of John and Addie.
Children of John Newton and Addie Gentry Faith:
1. John Oscar Faith, born January 13, 1881, at Commanche, Texas, reared in Smithwick. Married Mattie Stinnett July 24, 1902. Graduated from Burnet High School in 1906.
Was the postmaster at Smithwick in 1907. Taught school at Lake victor, Oatmeal, and Doublehorn. Moved to Karnes County in 1910 where he practiced law for 55 years. He was County attorney 8 terms and mayor of Karnes city 10 years. He died in March 1966. Mattie died April 1962; both are buried at Karnes City.
2. William Edgar, born May 19, 1884. Graduated Burnet High School in 1906; married Jesse Crow at Smithwick. Taught school at Naruna, Pleasant Valley, Spring Creek, and Mahomet. Was pastor at Briggs Baptist Church in 1922. Children: J.N., Vera, Edwin, Melvin, Randall Lee, Edith, Lola, Beulah, Ina.
3. Thomas Walter, born June 18, 1887; died Oct 29, 1888.
4. Joseph Ernest, born Dec 5, 1889; reared in Smithwick. Served in U.S. Navy in WWI as 2nd class fireman on Battleship Texas. Day laborer in Marble Falls all his life; died Dec 11, 1961. Married Tina Rowmey: children, Merlene, Dwane, R.E., and Ernest Joe. Married second to Edna Becker; no children from this marriage.
5. James Monroe, born Nov 11, 1891; died in Flu epidemic of 1918. Married Minnie James. One child, Beatrice Faith.
6. Otto Arthur, born Jan 5, 1895 in Smithwick; married Angie Boultinghouse. Three boys died as infants. Otto served in the infantry in WWI; earned college degree at Sam Houston State; taught in rural schools in Karnes County. Was school superintendent at Reisel, Winters, and Bradshaw. Died in Waco Jan 6, 1979.
Green Washington Gentry (1814 - 1893)
Emeline Conway Gentry (1824 - 1906)
John Newton Faith (1855 - 1910)*
John Oscar Faith (1881 - 1966)*
Joseph Ernest Faith (1889 - 1961)*
Louisa Jane Gentry Sides (1841 - 1919)*
Rosana Martha Gentry Franks (1846 - 1933)*
Sarah Elizabeth Gentry Long (1848 - 1930)*
Levi Alan Gentry (1850 - 1936)*
Lucinda Emeline Gentry Danner (1852 - 1873)*
Nancy Adeline Gentry Faith (1855 - 1935)
Tabitha Victoria Gentry Fowler (1857 - 1935)*
Melissa Josephine Gentry Hicks (1861 - 1937)*
Odd Fellows Cemetery
Created by: Joyce Parker
Record added: Jun 13, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 53629246