|Birth: ||Apr. 27, 1845|
|Death: ||Feb. 20, 1908|
North Carolina, USA
Mr. Charles Benjamin Bloxton, age 63, of Spout Springs, Appomattox County, VA, died suddenly at 4:30 AM on Thursday, February 20, 1908, at the home of his son, Mr. John Willard Bloxton (1870-1939), 1920 Carr Street, Greensboro, NC. C.B. Bloxton had been in good health and was as well as usual the night before, the summons coming quite sudden. He came to Greensboro the previous week to attend the funeral of his son's wife, Olive Jennings Bloxton, who died February 5th. C.B. Bloxton's remains were shipped to the former home of the deceased for interment.
A party hosted by their children, Miss Etta Bloxton and her brother, Dr. Benjamin Bloxton of Richmond, VA, was held in 1904 at "Poplar Springs," the country home of C.B. Bloxton in Spout Springs.
Their children, in birth order:
Floyd Emmet Bloxton, born May 7, 1867
Walter Augustus Bloxton, born circa 1869
John Willard Bloxton of Greensboro, NC, 1870
Mrs. Cora Bloxton (Charles H.) DeShazo, 1872
Dr. Benjamin Bloxton, 1874
a dentist from Richmond, VA, and
Mrs. Etta Bloxton Singhass (1877-1946)
(2nd wife of Walter Frye Singhass) of Romney, WV
According to newspaper accounts, Clementine V. Portwood (Mrs. C. B.) Bloxton died Tuesday, June 11, 1907 (but she probably died late the night before, on June 10th, like her monument says, after the conflicting accounts about her husband's passing), at her home in Spout Springs, VA. The burial took place at the Bloxton family burying ground at Spout Springs on Wednesday afternoon at 2 PM. Their son, Mr. John Willard Bloxton, closed his furniture store on South Elm Street, Greensboro, NC, on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Charles Benjamin BLOXTON is the third son of:
Robert Nelson BLOXTON
(38 in 1850), Manager of farm, born 1812, and
Mary "Louisa" (Brown) BLOXTON (34 in 1850), born 1816, d/o Mary L. Brown, b. VA, and Mr. Brown, b. MD.
(Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania Co., VA 1850 Census)
On that 1850 census, he is listed among his five siblings:
1. Robert Vinton BLOXTON (11),born 1839; died 12 MAY 1920 never married. In AZ on BLOXTON-Sanford Ranch, 1880 Census with their sister, Louise J. BLOXTON (Mrs. Don Alonzo Sanford). WA POST, May 14, 1920: RVB died Wed night at the Takoma Park Sanatorium, Washington, D.C.; bro of late H.N. of Lynchburg (J.C. Noel's father); Mrs. L.J. Sanford of D.C.; & Emmet of MI.
2. John Bernard BLOXTON (9), (31 Aug 1842 - 29 Mar 1909)
(Louise J. w/brother "J.B." in Tucson with Don A. Sanford 9-4-1875) Served Confederacy in Civil War 1861-1865: 1861 - Sergeant, VA, 1st Battalion, VA, Light Artillery (Hardaway's) & (Moseley's), Co. B. 1864 - 1st Light Artillery (OPendleton's Regiment) AND Hardaway's & Moseley's. 1865 - 1 Virginia Artillery and Capt. Richardson's Co. (James City Artillery), Capt. Rives' Co. (Nelson Light Artillery)
3. CHARLES "BENJAMIN" BLOXTON (6), born 1845 on 1900 Census of Appomattox County, VA. (Louise/Louisa J.'s bro, "Benjamin", came with her from D.C. to AZ where she wed Don Sanford.)
4. William "Emmett" BLOXTON (4), (NOT "Female"--1850 Census) born 1846 - (53 on 1900 Census, b.1846 VA, ("Emmit" photo in Don Sanford papers), Wife: Elizabeth A (1852), Son: James W. (1874), all @ BLOXTON Station, Santa Cruz Co., AZ)
(1910 & 1920 Census for Grand Rapids, Kent Co., MI, where they are buried: William E.(69), b. VA "Checker @ Seating Co."; Lizzie BLOXTON (67), b. MI-VT-Canada, own home/M, 1015 Scribner, after 337 Eleventh
1930 Census GR/Kent/MI: Lizzie A. (78) b. MI 1852 "Head"; James M. (55) 1874, b. MI "Head" & wife Della C. BLOXTON (59) 1870. 1-13-1920: Ecorse Twp, Oakwood Village, Wayne Co., MI, 2891 Fort St. rent "Manager, Typewriter Co." James M. Bloxton (46), Della (48) MI-NY-OH
5. Louise/Louisa Jane BLOXTON (2), born 1848, "of D.C., formerly Fredericksburg, VA" m. Donald Alonzo "Don" Sanford, Sr. 10/5/1875 "native of Appomattox County, VA" on ASU info DASanford sheet
6. A.F./J.R. BLOXTON 5/12 (5 months old) female, born 1850
7. Howard Nelson BLOXTON, b. May 17, 1866 - d: June 13, 1907, of Lynchburg, VA (Hilda Noel's dad) not on 1850 Census, but mentioned in WA POST death notice as RVB's brother.
Clementine Virginia Portwood Bloxton (1844 - 1907)*
Floyd Emmet Bloxton (1867 - 1908)*
Walter Augustus Bloxton (1869 - 1929)*
John Willard Bloxton (1870 - 1939)*
Benjamin H Bloxton (1874 - 1932)*
Etta Bloxton Singhass (1877 - 1946)*
Reedy Springs Baptist Church Cemetery
Maintained by: DONNA BLOXTON PETERSEN
Originally Created by: Christine Phelps
Record added: Feb 19, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 34018570