South Carolina, USA
|Death: ||Jun. 2, 1908|
In September of 1850, Frances M. MILLER, age 34, was living in Savannah with her daughter, Mary A., age 10. Each was born in South Carolina.
In 1861 in Effingham County, John B. BENNETT married Mary Ann R. MILLER.
The two BENNETT infants who were also buried in Lot 82 of Laurel Grove Cemetery were likely the first children of John & Mary:
• Christopher H. BENNETT (1863-1864), and
• Florence Georgia BENNETT (1865-1865).
In June of 1870, John B. BENNETT, a Printer, age 39, and his wife Mary E., 29, are living in Savannah with their surviving children, Ann, 3, and Maria(h), 1, and John's sister, Jane, 35.
In 1873, John died, leaving a widow and three young daughters, aged about 6, 4 and 1.
In June of 1880, Mary BENNETT was a widow, age 35, keeping house in Savannah, at 49 South Broad Street (south side of street)[today Oglethorpe Avenue], with her three daughters, Thirza 13, Pharna 11, and Mary, 8, all three of whom attended school within the year. The census recorded that Mary was born in Georgia, and that her parents were born in South Carolina.
In 1882, Mrs. Mary A. BENNETT was a seamstress, residing at 2 Broughton Street (one of 33 inmates of the Abrahams Home).
In 1886, Mary's middle child (of her three adult daughters),
• Pheamy BENNETT (1869-1886), died at age 18. In 1887, Mary's eldest adult child,
• Thurza Ann BENNETT (1866-1935), was married to William R. CLARK (1863-1929) by the pastor of the Lutheran Church of the Ascension, Savannah. In 1891, Mary's youngest adult daughter,
• Mamie BENNETT (born about 1872), married William E. EVANS (of Augusta, 1861-1924) in Chatham County (parents of Alma EVANS). Sometime prior to 1900, Mary adopted a son,
• James BENNETT, born 1886 in Georgia.
In June of 1900, Mary A. BENNETT, age 56, was boarding in the Benjamin BOUSHELLE houshold at 308 Lorch, with her adopted son, James J. BENNETT, 13, who was at school. The census reports that Mary had given birth to five children, and that two of them are living.
Abstract from Laurel Grove Cemetery Keepers Book: Mrs. Mary BENNETT died the 2nd of June, 1908, and was buried the following day in Lot 82. She was a native of Georgia, aged 65 years, and a resident of 545 Oglethorpe Avenue, West.
Famariah Miller (____ - 1854)
John B. Bennett (____ - 1873)*
Pheamy Bennett (____ - 1886)*
Christopher H. Bennett (1863 - 1863)*
Florence Georgia Bennett (1864 - 1865)*
Note: The marker of the infant Alma EVANS is the only one in the lot today (2010) - six other graves are outlined with border tiles, but have no markers.
Laurel Grove Cemetery (North)
Plot: Lot 82
Created by: jrpv
Record added: Sep 14, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 58664409
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.