|Birth: ||Apr. 8, 1782|
New Jersey, USA
|Death: ||Oct. 15, 1860|
~~~~~SETH HURIN BATES~~~~~
Seth was born in 1782, New Jersey. He was the son of Uzal Bates and his wife Elizabeth Hurin of Morris county, NJ.
We can follow the early years of Seth Bates written in a diary by James Wood, who had gone to work for the family of Uzal Bates.
James recorded that on May 17, 1790, he and the Bates family started out for the Miami country in the Northwest Territory, arriving in Ohio about 1792. Uzal Bates was listed in Hamilton County, OH. as a lieutenant in the Militia and a supervisor of highways in the Delhi township in 1795.
According to deed records in Hamilton county, OH. we find that Seth's wife was named Sarah. Unable to prove her maiden name. (Seth married Sarah (unknown maiden name, per US and International Marriage Records 1560-1900 states be was born in NJ 1782, no date given) Sarah died in 1819, I believe. By 1820 Seth and children by Sarah had moved to Crawford County, Ill. Seth married Anna Mann
Doty, 7 June 1820, Crawford Co. Ill. but did not have children by her. Military records in the National Archives show Seth served in the War of 1812 from butler County, OH.
Children of Seth and Sarah were;
1. David Bates, b. 1807 Hamilton Co, OH. d. 1871, Limestone Co, Texas. David married Eliza Eastin, dau. of Charles Eastin and wife Sarah Swearingren Eastin. Eliza died 1845 leaving six children. David remarried 1846 to Mahala Daughety Cox and had at least four more children. This family moved to Limestone Co, Texas before 1860.
2. Orpha, (my g-g-grandmother), the oldest daughter of Seth, was born about 1810 in OH. and died after 1860 in Limestone Co, Texas. Orpha first married James James in 1827 in Coles Co, Ill. James died before 1836, when Orpha and her two small children filed entry papers in Robertson's Colony on the 14th of Jan 1836. Shortly after her arrival in Texas, she married Elisha Anglin and had a large family.
3. John M. Bates, the second son of Seth was born 1811 in OH. and died 1883 in coles co, Ill. John married Amanda Phipps and raised a large family there.
4. Elizabeth Bates Jeffries Second dau. of Seth, was 1811 in OH. and died 1902 in Coles, Co, Ill.
Elizabeth remained in Coles Co., Illinois when Seth left for Texas.
She married Samuel Martin, then Robert Miller then William Jeffries. Elizabeth outlived all three of her husbands. She died 3 Sep 1902 (see Find a grave # 13204101). She had six children with Samuel (my 3 great grand father) and 4 children with Robert Miller. There were not children with William Jeffries.
I am descended from Elizabeth Bates, daughter of Seth Hurin Bates and Sarah Easton.
5. Silas Hurin Bates born 1811 OH. died 1888 in Limestone Co, Texas,
Silas came to Texas with his father and served as a Ranger during the Texas Revolution. a plaque outside of Texas Ranger Headquarters in Waco, list Silas as an early Ranger. Silas first married Mary Anglin, and then Adelaine Faulkenberry. Silas had children by both wives.
6. Phoebe Bates Lumbrick Powers born 1815. In 1834 she married
Samuel Lumbrick in Ill. having a family and remaining there.
Then marrying Powers.
Records show that Seth supplied beef to the Rangers during the Texas Revolution, and also served on the first grand jury of Robertson County, Tx. His land which was located in the present counties of Milam, Robertson and Limestone Counties, received two Spanish Land Grants shortly after arriving in Texas. His normal residence was near the town of Groesbeck, Texas in Limestone County.
Seth Hurin Bates is my G-G-G-Grandfather.
Nancy Franklin-Walling Bundrick
Orpha Bates Anglin (1809 - 1860)*
Elizabeth Bates Jeffris (1811 - 1902)*
John M Bates (1812 - 1882)*
Fort Parker Memorial Park
Maintained by: Nancy Franklin-Walling B...
Originally Created by: Leona A. Mathis
Record added: Apr 02, 2002
Find A Grave Memorial# 6311256