|Birth: ||Mar. 17, 1848|
|Death: ||Sep. 19, 1886|
Alexander ARMSTRONG I, "Alec," was born to
• Benjamin Remington ARMSTRONG I (1821-1901, a brick mason from Rhode Island) & his first wife,
• Sarah C. DASHER (1819-1849, buried in Effingham County when Alexander was only 15 months old). His father's second wife was
• Elizabeth M. FERGUSON (1825-1902) of Charleston.
Alexander was the widower of Ellen I. WILLETT, "Ella" (1843-1878); they were the parents of four children, born 1869-1876:
• Iola L. ARMSTRONG (1869-1931), the wife of Robert Preston WARNER Sr.,
• Benjamin Remington ARMSTRONG II (born 1872, died 1952 in Houston, Texas - cremated at Brookside Memorial Park Crematory, Houston, Harris County, Texas),
• Emily Clifford ARMSTRONG, "Emma" (1874-1950), the wife, first of Robert E. WALLACE (1894 Effingham County), and then of Joseph HAM,
• Frank Willett ARMSTRONG (1876-1958), the husband of Rebecca Raysor LARISCY (1881-1970).
In June of 1870, Alexander, age 22, was a locomotive builder, living in Savannah with Ella and their eldest child, Iola, Ella's younger brother, George M. WILLETT Jr. (a railroad conductor), and a servant. In June of 1880, he was a 31-year old farmer in the 259th District of Screven County, a widower living with his three younger children, aged 4 to 8 years old (his eldest child, Iola, age 10, was living with his father and step-mother in Effingham County). In the Savannah City Directory for 1882, Alexander is listed as a machinist with the S.F.&W. Railway, residing on the north side of Barnard Street, two doors west of Anderson Street [sic, Barnard runs north and south, Anderson, east and west]. In 1885, Alexander remarried; his second wife was Jennie E. WARNER.
Alexander's funeral notice appeared in the Savannah Morning News on 20 Sep 1886 (8:2) - this brief obituary mentions that he resided at the intersection of York & Drayton Streets, and was survived by a wife and children. In November of 1886, his younger half-brother, Leander G. ARMSTRONG, was administrator of his estate.
Abstract from Laurel Grove Cemetery Keepers Book: Alexander ARMSTRONG died the 19th of September, 1886, at Savannah Hospital, and was buried the following day in Lot 1049. He was a native of Georgia, aged 38 years.
Benjamin Remington Armstrong (1821 - 1901)
Sarah C. Dasher Armstrong (1819 - 1849)
Ellen I. Willett Armstrong (1843 - 1878)
Iola Armstrong Warner (1869 - 1931)*
Emily Armstrong Wallace-Ham (1874 - 1950)*
John R. Armstrong (____ - 1866)**
Alexander Armstrong (1848 - 1886)
Sarah F. Armstrong (1849 - 1853)*
Leander G. Armstrong (1854 - 1927)**
Marion Armstrong Clark (1860 - 1913)**
Florence Armstrong Davis (1864 - 1945)**
George Ferguson Armstrong (1868 - 1924)**
Laurel Grove Cemetery (North)
Plot: Lot 1049-1050
Created by: jrpv
Record added: Nov 14, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 44324743