|Death: ||May 20, 1810|
Erected in memory of Lieut. James Alger, who died May 20, 1801, in his 82nd year.
Excerpt taken from "A genealogical history of that branch of the Alger family which springs from Thomas Alger of Taunton and Bridgewater, in Massachusetts. 1665-1875 by Arthur M Alger":
James Alger (Israel* Israel? Thomas1), m. in 1750, Martha, daughter of Jonathan and Mary (Keith) Kingman. He owned a large farm in West Bridgewater, his house standing 100 rods south-west of the " Abie- zer Alger House." Previous to the war of the Revolution, he held a lieutenant's commission in the local militia of Bridgewater. For some years he filled the office of selectman, and was frequently chosen moderator of the annual town meetings. He was a large, well-proportioned man, over six feet in height. He possessed a social disposition, and was fond of argument. His death occurred May 20, 1810, in his 81st year. His wife died Aug. 23, 1813, aged 81. They were buried on the hill near his house.
James was baptized on March 23, 1728/29 in the West Parish of the First Church of Bridgewater.
43. i. Anna, b. Dec. 10, 1752; m. 1st, Jesse Sturtevant ; 2d, Amos Keith.
44. ii. Alice, b. May 27, 1755 ; m. Peter Dunbar.
45. iii. Abiezer, b. July 25, 1757 ; m. Hepsibah Keith.
46. iv. Martha, b. Oct. 23, 1760 ; m. Calvin Keith.
47. v. Phebe, b. April 2, 1763 ; m. Thaxter Dunbar.
48. vi. James, b. 1765 ; died in infancy.
4!). vu. A child, died in infancy.
50. yiii. James, b. Oct. 22, 1770 ; m. Hannah Bassett.
51. ix. A child, died in infancy.
52. x. A child, died in infancy.
Martha Kingman Alger (1732 - 1813)
Alger Graveyard and Tomb
Created by: Marina Williams
Record added: Jun 28, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 27880383
a 6th great-granduncle - R.I.P.|
Added: Apr. 12, 2009