|Birth: ||Mar. 7, 1863|
|Death: ||Oct. 29, 1915|
After the death of his first wife Richard Washington Adams married:
Adelade "Addie" Alice Moring. Preferred name: The 1900 Census gives her name as Alice C. Born: Mar 7, 1863 in VA. Married: Jun 23, 1890 in Sebastian Co., Arkansas. Died: Oct 29, 1915 in Tipton, Tillman Co., OK. Burial: in Centerview Cemetery, 2 mi E, 1.5 mi N of Tipton, Tillman Co., OK. Age at death: 52. Education: Could read and write. Residences: Born in VA; Lockett, Prince Edward Co., VA in 1880; Dyer Co., TN; Washington Co., AR; Coalgate, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory; Tillman Co., OK. Other: The 1880 census shows her at 17 living with her uncle and aunt, E.W and J.W. Moring in Lockett, Prince Edward Co., VA, along with her 20 year old male cousin, W.J. Moring. Perhaps her parents were deceased.
Child of Addie and unknown apparently unmarried relationship with a man born in VA. Occupations: "In oil, quite wealthy". Other: Doubtful that he and Addie were married because Moring is her maiden name. He left the family when James Arthur Moring was quite young:
1. James Arthur Moring. Born: Oct 18, 1883 in VA. Appearance: Medium height, abt. 5' 4", slender build, wiry and strong, blue eyes, brown hair. Died: Jul 1945 in Frederick, Tillman Co., OK. Cause of death: Stomach cancer. Burial: Jul 14, 1945 in Frederick Cemetery, Frederick, Tillman Co., OK; 02-A-045-03. Age at death: 61 est. Occupations: Some mining at Coalgate, OK: ran second-hand store in 1918; repaired furniture and mattresses for Mr. Duncan in a furniture store; Frederick Air Base during WWII. Personality: Pretty quiet and did not talk much about his family. Married: Charlie E. James. Born: Jul 6, 1891 in poss. Snyder, Scurry Co., TX. Appearance: 5' 9" tall. Married: Dec 17, 1913 in Tillman Co., OK. Died: Nov 1979 in Frederick, Tillman Co., OK. Burial: Nov 27, 1979 in Frederick Cemetery, Frederick, Tillman Co., OK; 02-A-045-02. Age at death: 88 est.
Children of Addie and Richard Washington Adams:
1. Mary E. Adams. Born: Jan 5, 1890 in Coalgate, Indian Territory, now Coal Co., OK. Died: Apr 13, 1967 in Tucson, Pima Co., AZ. Age at death: 77. Other: They went to Washington with Lester and Lennie Adams in 1913 looking for work. Married L. C. Laing. Born: Sep 16, 1889 near Jonesboro, Hamilton Co., TX. Appearance: Tall, medium build, gray eyes, brown hair. Married: Jan 5, 1909 in Manitou, Tillman Co., OK. Died: 1959 in Tipton, Tillman Co., OK. Age at death: 70 est. Occupations: Farmer in 1930.
2. Martha "Mattie" Louise Adams. Born: Sep 9, 1894 in Coalgate, Indian Territory, now Coal Co., OK. Died: May 7, 1981, Wichita Falls, Wichita Co., TX. Occupations: First grade teacher; loved it and was excellent. Personality: At peace with herself and with the world. Other: Mattie accompanied Linnie Adams for a vacation trip to the Blueridge Country, TN, in 1919. She met her future husband on that trip. Never had children. Married William Henry "Bill" Canaday, born Apr 1, 1887 in Johnston, NC, died Jan 1, 1974. Married: Aft. 1920.
3. Lela Adelade Adams. Born: Feb 7, 1897 in Coalgate, Indian Territory, now Coal Co., OK. Died: Dec 1, 1987 in last SSDI res: Wichita Falls, Wichita Co., TX 76301. Age at death: 90. Married: Vestal Bose Dickenson. Born: Dec 2, 1896 in Brownwood, TX. Married: Abt. 1920. Died: Nov 1969 in last SSDI res: Wichita Falls, Wichita Co., TX 76301. Burial: Nov 7, 1969 in Crestview Memorial Park, Wichita Falls, Wichita Co., TX. Age at death: 72 est. Occupations: Owner of Dickenson Tile Co. in Wichita Falls, TX. Military: Veteran of WWI. Religion: Baptist
4. Dorothy Allen Adams. Born: Aug 1899 in Coalgate, Indian Territory, now Coal Co., OK. Died: Oct 22, 1940 in Wichita Falls, Wichita Co., TX. Burial: in Centerview Cemetery, Tillman Co., OK. Age at death: 41 est. Married: John Raymond Robinson. Born: Jun 8, 1892 in Indian Territory, now OK, died Apr 1, 1956 in Topeka, Shawnee Co., KS. Married: Abt. 1924. Occupations: Tile setter in 1930
It is frustrating to research Addie's genealogy because an 1870 census for her has not been found, and we can only deduce her parents' names from circumstantial evidence. The 1880 census shows her living with an uncle and aunt, Edward W. and Judith Moring. Edward's father, and thus her grandfather, was Caswell Wyatt Moring, and his father was Wyatt Moring. Probably the only son that would fit as her father is Alpheus Beverly R. Moring who was married to a Mary E. ? and died of dysentery a month or so after being conscripted as a private into the18th Virginia Infantry, Company C, Confederate States of America, late in the war, probably in 1864 or 1865. If her mother died or otherwise could not take care of the children, Addie could have been taken in by her uncle Edward. This is speculation, but is supported by some evidence. At some point Addie had her first child, James Arthur Moring, Oct 18, 1883 in VA, apparently through an unmarried relationship unless the father was also named Moring. Arthur was raised by her husband Richard Washington Adams in the marriage described above.
Lowell S. Adams from his book draft, 2012
Richard Washington Adams (1839 - 1901)*
Richard Washington Adams (1839 - 1901)*
James Arthur Moring (1883 - 1945)*
Mary E. Adams Laing (1890 - 1967)*
Dorothy Allen Adams Robinson (1899 - 1940)*
Created by: Lowell S Adams
Record added: May 30, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 37713141