Abel was a Filmmaker / Digital Computer Graphic Artist / Visual Effects
He founded 'ROBERT ABEL & ASSOCIATES' (on Highland Avenue) in 1971.
Abel's education included undergraduate studies in UCLA
From the 70's through the 80's ROBERT ABEL & ASSOC. led the way for visual effects. He is one of the visionaries of Digital Computer Graphics and Visual Effects. Robert Abel mentored a fresh group of talent like: Randy Roberts ("The Sexy Robot") and Kenny Mirman, who designed Escheresque CG spots for TRW that won RA&A praise. "We were making it up as we went along," recalls Mirman, who likens Abel to Obi-Wan Kenobi for his inspiring talents. "Bob built the best playground possible."
* 33 Clio AWARD winning commercials
* EMMY AWARD-winning documentary filmmaker
* He worked on: 'THE MAKING OF THE PRESIDENT'
* He worked on: 'MAD DOGS AND ENGLISHMEN'
* 'BEHEMOTH, THE SEA MONSTER' (1959)
* 'TRON' (1982)
* ANNIE AWARD: WINSOR MCKAY AWARD (1985)
* GOLDEN GLOBE AWARD for: 'ELVIS ON TOUR'
Abel died at the age of 64
"Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak Whispers the o'er-fraught heart and bids it break."
~ William Shakespeare, in MACBETH, Act IV, Scene III