|Birth: ||Jun. 17, 1746|
|Death: ||Nov. 24, 1807|
Born in Yorktown, York County, Virginia, son of Thomas Nelson and Lucy Armistead Nelson. Moved to The Dorrill in Hanover County, Virginia and married Lucy Chiswell on November 24, 1770. She was a daughter of Col. John Chiswell and Elizabeth Randolph. Colonel Nelson was educated in England, with his cousin, Governor Thomas Nelson of Yorktown, Virginia. He was present at the battles of Monmouth and Brandywine, and all the Northern battles in which Washington's army was engaged. He was present at the siege of Yorktown in 1781, with the rank of Colonel of Infantry in the American army.
William and Lucy Nelson's 17 children were:
1. Lucy Nelson born at Dorrill on Sep 13, 1771, married Nov 13, 1809 to William
Meaux, of New Kent County, Va.
2. Elizabeth Nelson, born on May 18, 1773, died single.
3. Caroline Nelson (no. 1) born May 18, 1775 and died Jul 6, 1775.
4. Norborne Thomas Nelson, born at Dorrill on Aug 29, 1776 and married abut 1801 to
his first cousin, Lucy, daughter of Major John Nelson, of Oakhill, Mechlenburg
County, Va. Norborne removed to Arkansas in 1836 and died there in 1844, aged 68.
5. Warner Lewis Nelson, born Dec 28, 1777 and died Apr 29, 1785.
6. Sally Cary Nelson, born Apr 6, 1780, married, first 1799, Charles Page, of
Hanovertown, Va. She married secondly, Thomas Atkinson, of Manfield, near
Petersbury, Dinnwiddie County, Va. She died in January, 1861, aged 81 years.
7. William Nelson, born Oct 30, 1781 and died Apr 2, 1782.
8. Mary Chiswell Nelson, born Mar 20, 1783, married about 1803, Mann Page, of
9. Dr. William Randolph Nelson, born Oct 9, 1784 and died at Gould Hill, Hanover
County, Va., 1862, aged 78 years. He married, about 1809, the widow Lucy Oliver,
whose maiden name was Tomlin. No surviving issue.
10. Caroline Nelson (no.2) born May 27, 1786, and died Nov 12, 1790.
11. Fanny P. Nelson (Francis Page Wellford Nelson), born Dec 23, 1787, married John
Spottswood Wellford, of Fredericksburg, Va.
12. George R. Nelson, born Oct 16, 1789 and died Nov 20, 1802, probably single.
13. Susan R. C. Nelson, born May 18, 1791, married first Mar 2, 1809, William
Wellford. She secondly married Philip Burewell of Chapel Hill, Clarke County, Va.
She died Dec 27, 1869, aged 78 years.
14. Unnamed Infant
15. Unnamed infant
16. Hugh Nelson, born at Dorrill. He married in 1826 to Elizabeth Harrison Minge.
He died Apr 1, 1862, aged 69.
17. Armistead Nelson, born at Dorrill on Feb 11, 1795. He became an officer in the
United States Navy, under Commodore Decatur. He afterward resigned and became a
merchant. He married, about 1820, Mary Henderson, of Fredericksburg, Va. They had
one son, Dr. William A. Nelson, United States Navy and married about 1846, Mary
Moncure., of Stafford County, Va.
Thomas Nelson (1716 - 1782)
Lucy Chiswell Nelson (1752 - 1811)
Lucy Nelson (1771 - 1824)*
Frances Page Nelson Wellford (1787 - 1815)*
Armistead Nelson (1795 - 1821)*
King William County
Created by: King William County Hist...
Record added: Mar 19, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 87038420