A native of Alabama, Mary Ann Bass was married first to William Ford and then, after his death, to Benedict Barnes, having come to Texas sometime between 1840 and 1850..
On the 1880 Texas census, Mary Ann's birth place is indicated as Alabama while her mother and father are shown to have been born in South Carolina. Mary Ann may have been a sister of L.L. Bass. Her parents and L.L. Bass were all on the 1840 Talladega County census and it is noted that he, L.L. Bass, had married Mary Ann Davis Barnes, daughter of Person Davis, and widow of Henry Barnes III, the son of Henry Barnes, Jr. and Ann Lanham Barnes. An association between the Bass and Barnes families dates back to their presence in Alabama, if not earlier.
The children of Benedict and Mary Ann Barnes were:
• Frances Sophire Barnes (Fannie) born ca. 1854, Freedom, Harrison County, Texas; she married W.J. Bell, moved to Wichita Falls, then Arlington, Texas.
• Ellie Barnes, born ca. 1856 in Harrison County, Texas; age 25 on 1880 census.
• Caroline Virginia Barnes, who married Dr. Robert McClelland and made her home in Gilmer, Texas.
• Benjamin Allen Barnes , who married Ellie Pollard and moved to Arlington Texas, where he became a very successful businessman.
• Thomas E. Barnes , who married Viola Metcalf, settled in Marshall, Texas, and worked for the T & P Railroad.
• William Oliver Barnes who married Alice Gray Owens.
• Della Barnes, born ca. 1865, age 15 on 1880 census; believed to have died young.
• Leela Blanche Barnes who married William Robert Stephens and who made her home in Gilmer.
Mary had four children by William Ford. He died sometime after the 1850 Harrison County Census. Children:
i. Lizzie Eliza Ford,* born 11 Oct 1843, Talladega Co., Alabama. married. 24 Dec 1860, Wm. Neal Ramey. Children: Neil, Annie, Jesse, Lizzie, Sallie, Betty.
ii. Mary Jane Ford, born 1845 Talladega Co., Alabama, married (1) Richard Taylor, then (2) W.D.Roberts. Children: Nonie and Eugenie Taylor.
iii. Sarah E. Ford,* born 1847 Harrison County, Texas, married Bishop Chandler.
iv. Major A.H. Ford,* born 1849 Harrison Co., Texas, married Mariah King. Removed to Ennis, Texas.
Benedict Barnes (1810 - 1878)
Nesbitt (Harrison County)
Created by: Ken Barnes
Record added: Jan 05, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 63800530