|Birth: ||1799, Switzerland|
|Death: ||Jul. 16, 1866|
Jacob Albright (Albrecht) was born in Switzerland and came to America on a boat leaving Amsterdam, Netherlands in July 1819. He arrived in Philadelphia on August 28th, 1819. His letters of passage said he was a farmer and he worked as a farmer in Spring Garden, Philadelphia in the early years.
In later years, he worked in Philadelphia, and was identified in the City Directory as working for a "Bill Broker" for a company on Dock Street. His death record listed his occupation as a "runner". From this we would deduce that he was a runner for "Philadelphia Merchantís Exchange Company", located on the corner of SE Dock and Walnut Streets. This business was later to be named the "Philadelphia Stock Exchange" in 1875.
His Oath of Allegiance was taken, as seen on his Naturalization Record, in Philadelphia on February 7th, 1829.
Jacob married Anna A. Dunlap in about 1831.
Anna and Jacob had seven children known to me.
1. George W. Albright, b. 1832; d.†1917; m1. Charlotte Endicott Rogers on Dec. 18, 1854, had eleven children; m2. Jennie in 1885, had two children.
2. Sarah Elizabeth Albright, b. 1838; d.†1881; m. Henry John Magee in 1861, had three children.
3. Ellen D. Albright, b. 1839; d. 1881; m1. Fletcher in 1856, had one child; m2. John S. Snyder, had one child; m3. William J. Cunningham on Mar. 28, 1879, had one child.
4. Albert Albright, b. 1841; d. 1872; married at time of his death; no children that are known to me.
5. Emily Theresa Albright, b. 1844; d. 1909; m1. Isaac Clifford Bryant, had eight children; m2. Euclid Hill, no additional children.
6. Edward N. Albright, b. 1848; d. before 1860
7. Martha Louise "Mattie" Albright, b. 1849; d. 1892; m1. George Washington Dodge on Jan. 31, 1870, had three children; m2. Euclid Hill in 1886, had two children.
Jacob is listed in the 1840, 1850 and 1860 Census data as living in Philadelphia with his family. He also can be seen 1861 City Directory as living at 445 Garden Street.
His obituary notice appeared in The Philadelphia Public Ledger and Inquirer as:
Albright - on the 16th inst, Mr. JACOB ALBRIGHT, in the 67th year of his age.
The relatives and friends of the family; also Franklin Lodge, I.O. of O.F., No.5 are particularly invited to attend the funeral, from his late residence No. 423 Garden St.
His death date and burial in American Mechanics Cemetery are documented in the Philadelphia Death Certificate Index (Permit number 5070, page 230, card number 9977. His wife Anna is listed as the AMC plot 24 owner, seen on card number 12275.)
In 1951, the AMC cemetery was purchased by the Philadelphia Housing Authority for the purpose of building on the location. The remains in this cemetery were removed in 1951, and the Raymond Rosen Housing Project was built.
In August of 1951, Jacob Albright and his family were re-interred in the Philadelphia Memorial Park in Division F, Section 2, Lot 24. The site is marked with a surface marker reading "ALBRIGHT".
Anna A. Dunlap Albright (1808 - 1891)*
George W. Albright (1832 - 1917)*
Sarah Elizabeth Albright Magee (1838 - 1881)*
Ellen D. Albright Cunningham (1840 - 1881)*
Albert Alfred Albright (1841 - 1872)*
Emily Theresa Bryant Albright Hill (1844 - 1909)*
Martha Louise Albright Dodge Hill (1849 - 1892)*
Philadelphia Memorial Park
Plot: Div F, Sec 2, Lot 24, Grave 3
Created by: Kline Lynch
Record added: Sep 18, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 97306716