|Birth: ||Mar. 13, 1818|
|Death: ||Nov. 30, 1877|
Rev. George Dixon Henderson:
Son of Andrew R. and Hannah H. (Dixon) Henderson
Gr-son of John and Isabell (Russell) Henderson
Gr-gr-son of American Patriot Rev. Matthew Henderson and his wife, Mary (Ferris) Henderson
Margaret Findley, b. [Mar,] 1820, near New Concord, Ohio, d. Nov. [marker states Oct.] 16, 1853, Granville, Putnam Co., Ill., mar. Rev. George Dixon Henderson, son of Andrew Russell and Hannah H. (Dixon) Henderson, April 22, 1840, Muskingum Co., Ohio. He was born Mar. 13, 1818, Washington Co., Pa., d. Nov. 30, 1877, Monmouth, Ill.
1. John Findley Henderson, b. April 8, 1841, Muskingum Co., O., died. Nov. 12, 1909, Hamburg, Iowa, bur. at Ordway, Colo., mar. Margaret Joanna (Maggie) Turner, April 9, 1864, Monmouth, Ill. She was b. April 28, 1843, Zenia, Ohio, d. Oct. 12, 1925, Ordway, Colo. [6 children]
2. Hannah Dixon Henderson, b. Feb. 6 1843, New Concord, Ohio, d. at Gordon, Nebr., mar. Thomas Margrave, April 18, 1864. He was b. Sept. 3, 1839, Clinton, Iowa, d. Mar. 13, 1920, Gordon, Nebr., son of J. W. and Elizabeth (Hopkins) Margrave, both are bur. at Gordon. His mother was born in Ohio and his father was born in Kentucky. They lived in Walnut Creek twp., Brown County, Kansas, P. O. Hiawatha, Kans., in 1870 census. [6 children]
3. Andrew Russell Henderson, b. Mar. 19, 1845, Muskingum Co., Ohio, d. April 13, 1901, Buffalo, Okla., mar. 1st: Harriet (Hattie) L. Corwin, Mar. 27, 1869, Monmouth, Ill., She was b. Nov. 3, 1848, Knoxville, [text missing], d. Aug. 19, 1900, Chicago, Ill. He mar. 2nd: Laura [text missing]. The 1870 census, Warren Co., Ill., shows that he was a dry goods merchant. Once lived at Optima, Oklahoma, Texas County. [3 children]
4. Mary Margaret Henderson, b. Sept. 15, 1852, Granville, Ill., d. July 8, 1927, Assumption, Ill., mar. Rev. Joseph, Willison Long, May 30, 1872, Monmouth, Ill. He was b. April 3, 1843, Mt. Lebanon, Pa., d. Nov. 22, 1914, Assumption, Ill. He was the son of Joseph and Sarah Ann (McCulley) Long, came with his parents to Christian Co., Illinois, in 1856. He was educated at Monmouth College and completed his theological course at Allegheny Seminary in Pennsylvania. He was licensed by the Bloomington, Ill. Presbytery to the ministry, Sept. 29, 1874, and was ordained by the Southern Illinois Presbytery as pastor of Romine Prairie, Marion Co., Ill., 1876-1888; Fredericksburg, Ohio, Nov. 1, 1888-May 1, 1892; Beulah, Kansas, June 1, 1892-Sept. 1, 1897; Springfield, Mo., Oct. 11, 1897-July 1, 1903. His labors as a minister ended at his old home at "Spring Creek" between Assumption and Taylorsville, Ill. At this time his health failing, he moved into Assumption where he resided until his death. He had served with Co. E., 115th Ill. Inf. in the Civil War, disch. in 1865 after 3 years. Ref: "Manuel of the Presbyterian Church of No. America" by James B. Schouller, and family records of Mrs. Hattie Myers. [7 children]
[Rev.] George D. Henderson mar. 2nd: Mary Ann Mead, 1854-55-or 56. She is buried at Granville, Ill. Marriage record not in Putnam County, Ill.
1. Estella M. Henderson, b. 1857 (census) mar. Hugh Morton, Salem, Ill. A son died at age of 6 months.
2. Lydia A. Henderson (adopted) b. June 24, 1859, mar. Thomas Kell, Aug. 22, 1878, Salem, Ill. 9 children
[Rev.] George D. Henderson mar. 3rd: Elizabeth Ann Jamison, Nov. 16, 1864, Monmouth, Ill., She was b. April 5, 1837, Guernsey County, Ohio.
Children born at Monmouth:
1. Lina M. Henderson, b. 1867 (census), died age 6 or 7 years.
2. George D. Henderson, b. 1870 (census), d. between 1943 and 1949, Pueblo, Colo., mar. Lulu
1.) Doris Henderson
2.) Bernice Henderson mar. E. Hartzler. Address: [text omitted] Pueblo, Colo. (1960)
3.) Maxine Henderson mar. W. C. Boxwell. Address: [text omitted] Pueblo, Colo. (1960)
[Rev.] Geo. Dixon Henderson was educated at Muskingum College and studied theology at Cannonsburg, Pa., licensed, June 8, 1847 by Muskingum Pres., and ordained Oct. 19, 1849, by Illinois; pastor of Granville, Ill., 1949-65; removed to Monmouth, Ill., where he was Sup't of Schools, Financial Agent, Treas., and Trustee of the College, and secretary of the Board of Education. Ref: Manuel of U. P. Church of No. America, 1751-1887, by James B. Scouller. (2nd edition)
Source: Findley Genealogy, by Mrs. Robert A. Hughes, published St. Louis, Missouri, 1967, pp 94, 103-106, 113, 125, 128. Note: Most references in the Findley Genealogy denote name as, Margaret Findley Henderson. Name is noted as, Mary Magaret Findley, p. 103.
Andrew Russell Henderson (1794 - 1861)
Hannah A. Dixon Henderson (1785 - 1861)
Margaret Findley Henderson (1820 - 1853)
Mary Ann Mead Henderson
John Findley Henderson (1842 - 1909)*
Hannah Dixon Henderson Margrave (1843 - 1920)*
Andrew Russell Henderson (1845 - 1901)*
Mary Henderson Long (1852 - 1927)*
Lydia A Henderson Kell (1859 - 1942)*
Rachel M. Henderson Wilson (____ - 1861)*
George Dixon Henderson (1818 - 1877)
Plot: Block 3, Lot 6
Created by: HJ
Record added: May 06, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 89659391