|Birth: ||Sep. 30, 1708, Germany|
|Death: ||Jan., 1794|
He was born at Falkenstein, Duchy Of Neuberg, Palatinate, Germany, the son of Nicholas Yager and Anna Maria Sieber. They came to America in 1717 when Adam was still a boy and settled with the Germanna Colony in Virginia on land that was then in Spotsylvania county, then Orange in 1734, Culpeper in 1748, and finally Madison in 1793.
He married Oct 1727 at Germanna to Susanna Kobler.
19 Sep 1730, Adam (and presumably also Susanna) became a charter member of Hebron Lutheran Church.
20 Dec 1735, they bought 100 acres of land in the fork of the Robinson River.
10 Jun 1737, they bought 400 acres adjoining George Moyer (Orange Co., VA Grant Book 17 page 327).
1739 - Adam was a tithable in Orange Co., VA.
18 Feb 1762 - they gave sons John and Nicholas 150 acres each.
15 Aug 1778 - they gave son Adam 123 acres.
1779 - Adam appeared on the Culpeper county tax list.
Adam wrote his will on 9 Sep 1793, indicating perhaps that he was in poor health.
He received communion at Hebron Lutheran Church in Nov 1793 and died sometime before 23 Jan 1794, when his will was probated at court. Susanna had predeceased him.
Will Book 1, p.24-27 Madison Co, VA:
"In the name of God amen I, Adam Yager, of the county of Madison being in perfect mind and memory, but calling to mind the uncertainty of this life do make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner of form following.
First recommending my soul to almighty God assuredly hoping and trusting for eternal salvation through the merits of sufferings of my blessed Saviour Jesus Christ. As of touching my worldly estate which it hath pleased God to bless me with, I leave and give in manner of form following:
First my will and desire is that my two old negros, Tom and Lucy shall be set at liberty. Neither of my children nor any other person to claim any right in or to them. All the estate that I have heretofore given to any of my children that they are or have been in possession of I do not consider as my estate, but theirs to whom it was given. I give to my four sons, Michael, John, Adam and Godfrey all my books to be equally divided between them by lot or other ways as they may agree. I bequeath to my son Godfrey Yagar all the land of plantation whereon I now live containing
by patent one hundred acres together with sixty one acres I bought of Nelson to him, his forever. I also give to my son Godfrey any horse or mare I shall be possessed with at my death, as also my best saddle and bridle. I give unto my daughter Barbara Chelf the bed and furniture whereon I lay to her and her heirs forever. All the residue of my estate both real and personal my will it shall be sold but no person shall be allowed to bid but my four sons, Michael, John, Adam and Godfrey, and my two grandsons Adam Clore and Benjamin Yager and the money arising from the sale to be divided into six parts and my four sons before named or in case of their death their legal representatives to have four of the six parts. My grandchildren the heirs of Nicholas Yager deceased one other part. My other grandchildren the heirs of Pete Clore begotten by my daughter Barbara the other part of the said parts so given to my said grandchildren, shall be paid into the hands of Adam Clore and Benjamin Yager to be by them paid to their brothers and sisters as before directed as they shall come of age or marry.
Whereas my granddaughter Elizabeth Hayman, daughter of Peter and Barbara Clore is dead. My will and desire is that Adam Clore shall pay the part would fall unto to her children as they shall come of age or marry. In case any of my grand children, either the children of Nicholas Yager or the children of Pete Clore shall die before they come of age or shall marry, that their part shall be divided between the r surviving brothers and sisters.
But in order that my executors hereafter named shall not be distressed, I allow them eighteen months to pay any legacy I have here given. My executors hereafter named, should they judge it would be to their interest may suffer other bidders at the sale of my estate.
I do hereby appoint and nominate my four sons, Michael Yager, John Yager, Adam Yager and Godfrey Yager to be executors of this my last will land testament revoking all other wills by me heretofore made in testamony whereof I have hereunto placed my hand and seal this ninth day of September 1793."
Adam, his mark, Yager, seal.
"Signed, sealed, published and declared to be his last will and testament in presents of John Smith, Joseph Carpenter , Cornelius Carpenter.
At a court held for the county of Madison on Thursday the 3rd day of January one thousand seven hundred and ninety four. This last will and testament of Adam Yeager, deceased was exhibited into court and proved by the oaths of John Smith, Joseph Carpenter and Cornelius Carpetner witnesses thereto.
Ordered to be recorded and on motion of Adam Yeager, John Yager and Godfrey Yager three of the executors herein named a probate thereof in due form is granted them they having made oath thereto together with John Smith, Samuel Carpenter and John Deer their securities entered into and acknowledged their bond according to law."
Teste: John Walker Jr. CMC
Adam and Susanna are likely buried at Hebron Lutheran Church as they were lifelong members and others of their family were buried there.
Researcher Virginia Nuta has a website on Adam Yager and wife Susanna at:
1. Michael Yager, b. 29 Jun 1728, Spotsylvania (eventually Madison) Co., VA; m.c. 1750 to Elizabeth Crigler or Manspeil; he d. between Jul 1793 (when he wrote his will) and Feb 1794 (when his will was probated).
Michael Yager's children:
1) John Yager, b. 28 Nov 1750, Culpeper Co., VA
2) Samuel Yager, b. 28 Dec 1752, Culpeper Co., VA
3) Barbara Yager, b. 13 Aug 1755
4) Susannah Yager, b. 5 Jan 1759
5) Eve Yager, b. 11 Mar 1760
6) Elizabeth Yager, b. 15 Jul 1762
7) Michael Yager Jr., b. 13 Jan 1768
8) Hannah Yager, b. 10 Dec 1770
9) Rachel Yager, b. 10 Mar 1773
10) Jemimah Yager, b. 13 Dec 1793, Madison Co., VA
2. Barbara Yager, b. 7 Sep 1730, Spotsylvania (eventually Madison) Co., VA; m. 1st c. 1747 to Peter Clore; m. 2nd c. 1764 to Phillip Chelf; she d. 1794, Madison Co., VA
Children by Peter Clore:
1) Adam Clore
2) Solomon Clore
3) Moses Clore
4) Delila Clore
5) Elizabeth Clore
6) Susannah Clore
3. John Yager ("Blind"), b. 15 Sep 1732, Spotsylvania (eventually Madison), VA; m. c. 1757, Culpeper (later Madison) Co., VA to Mary Margaret Wilhoit [daughter of John Christian Wilhoit and his wife Walburga Weaver]; he d. 17 Aug 1826, Madison Co., VA; probably buried Hebron Lutheran Church cemetery.
4. Nicholas Yager, b. 1735, Orange (eventually Madison) Co., VA; m. Susanna Wilhoit [b. 1740, Orange Co., VA; d. 26 Apr 1810, Madison Co., VA]; he d. 7 Aug 1781, Culpeper (later Madison) Co., VA.
Nicholas Yager's children:
1) Margaret Yager
2) Solomon Yager, Sep 1759, Culpeper Co, VA; m. Elizabeth Broyles;
3) Benjamin Yeager, b. 17 Feb 1768, Culpeper Co, VA; m. 1 Jan 1790, Culpeper Co., VA to Anna Krigler [b. 16 Dec 1768; daughter of Nicholas Krigler and Margaret Kafer]; he d. 1837, Oldham Co., KY.
4) Elijah Yeager, b. Jan 1769; Culpeper Co, VA; m. 19 Feb 1800, Madison Co., VA to Jemimah Stansiferm; he d. 1844, Kenton Co., KY.
5) Jesse Yeager1772 - 1841b: November 20,
1772 in Culpeper Co, VA(died in Oldham, KY)aka: Yager/
+Anna Clorm: November 27, 1799 in Madison
6) Rosanna Yager1778 - 1866b: October 09,
1778 in Culpeper Co, VA (died in Oldham, KY)aka: Yeager/
+Solomon Clorem: March 01, 1798 in Madison
5. Adam Yager, Jr., b. 9 May 1738, Orange (eventually Madison) Co., VA; m.c. 1760, Culpeper Co., VA to Juriah Berry [daughter of John Berry and Jemima]; he d. 1812-1813, Madison Co., VA.
Adam Yager's children:
1) Elisha Yager
2) Nathaniel Yager
3) James Yager
4) John Adam Yager
5) Philemon Yager
6) Jeremiah Yager
7) Elijah Yager
8) Joel Yager b. 1786, Madison Co., VA; m. 1800 in Madison Co., VA to Frances Tinsley [b. 1786; daughter of Edward Tinsley and Elizabeth Buford]; they lived in Madison and Norfolk Co., VA, then moved to Mercer (now Boyle) Co., KY; Joel d. 1832, Mercer Co., KY.
9) Jermima Yager
6. Godfrey Yager, b. 6 Jun 1747, Orange (eventually Madison) Co., VA; m. 1st to a Miss Klug [daughter of daughter of Parson Samuel Klug]; m. 2nd to Mary Wayland; he d. 26 May 1819, Madison Co., VA.
Children of Godfrey Yager by Miss Klug:
1) Ephraim Yager; b.c. 1767 VA; m. 1st 20 Jan 1791, Culpeper Co., VA to Mary Wayland; m. 2nd to Mrs. Sarah Rodoheifer.
2) Susanna Yager, b. 14 May 1766, VA.
Children of Godfrey Yager by Mary Wayland:
3) Simeon Yager, b.c. 1774, Culpeper (now) Madison Co., VA
4) Maria Yager, b. 24 Jan 1777, Culpeper (now) Madison Co., VA
5) Elizabeth Yager, b.c. 1780, Culpeper (now) Madison Co., VA
6) Lewis Yager, b.c. 1780, Culpeper (now) Madison Co., VA
7) Rosanna (Rose) Yager, b. 1781, Culpeper (now) Madison Co., VA
8) Anna Yager, b.c. 1785, Culpeper (now) Madison Co., VA
9) William Yager, b. 24 Sep 1786, Culpeper (now) Madison Co., VA
10) Julianna Yager, b. Jun 1789, Culpeper (now) Madison Co., VA
11) Sarah Yager, b.c. 1790, Culpeper (now) Madison Co., VA
12) Salathiel Wayland Yager, b. 10 Feb 1793, Culpeper (now) Madison Co., VA
Susanna Kobler Yager (1710 - ____)
John Yager (1732 - 1826)*
Hebron Lutheran Church Cemetery
Created by: Bev Golden
Record added: May 02, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 89494186