|Birth: ||Sep. 29, 1861|
|Death: ||May 4, 1924|
Died in Independence Township, Washington County, Ohio.
Nancy, most frequently known as Catharine, was the biological Daughter of Washington M. Swallow and Susan A. Tice (also known as Susanna).
Nancy's history is very complicated as she had at least eight different children with at least 6 different fathers. She was married at least twice.
The Fathers of Nancy's known children and her known Husbands are listed below. The biological father's names have been gleaned from the marriage licenses of her children and from death certificates. It would have been impossible to track the children listed below as Nancy changed the last names of her children in the Federal Census records several times. Why did she do this? I still have no answer for that question!!
Nancy's kids and known husbands are:
1. WILLIAM WALTER ENOCHS was born on May 18, 1875 in Washington County, Ohio. William's biological Father was Joseph Enochs. The unfortunate reality was that Joseph Enoch's was married to Nancy Catharine's Mother at the time. Joseph Enochs, according to records provided to me by Catherine J. Sams of Belpre, Ohio, was sent to the Ohio State Penitentiary from June 10, 1874--March 3, 1880 for "having had sexual intercourse with his step-daughter, Catherine Tice, on June 14, 1872".
Nancy married Christopher Ronshausen 3/31/1877 in Washington County, Ohio. As far as can be determined, no children were born to Nancy and Christopher.
2. JOHN HENRY DUFF (in his birth records listed as "Henry J. W. Swallow") was born on June 25, 1880 in Independence Township, Washington County, Ohio. Henry Duff, son of Aaron Duff and Mary Ann Treadway, was the biological father of John Henry Duff. I have found no records of Nancy and John Duff marrying.
3. JACOB NORMAN SCOTT was born on August 17, 1882 in Independence Township, Washington County, Ohio to Nancy. He is listed as "illegitimate" and under the name of "Jacob Norman Swallows" by Nancy, his Mother, who was the informant for the birth. Malachi Scott was the biological father of Jacob. Nancy and Malachi never married, as far as records show.
4. MARY JANE TICE was born on January 30, 1885 in Independence Township, Washington County, Ohio. Her birth record has her listed as "Mary Jane Swallow" and as "Illegitimate" by her Mother "Nancy C. Swallow". Little Mary Jane's Father is unknown as of April 2, 2013. She died on September 8, 1886 in Independence Township, Washington County, Ohio. According to records shared with me by Catharine J. Sams, Mary Jane died of diptheria.
5. TRACEY LOUISE SCOTT was born on 10/9/1887 in Washington County, Ohio. Although James Hearn is listed on Tracey's Marriage License as being her biological father, but Tracey's birth record names Malachi Scott as her biological father.
6. ALONZO (a.k.a as "Lonzo") HAUGHT was born on 4/24/1893 to Nancy. NO birth father is listed on Alonzo's birth record just his Mother's name. Toby (Tobias) Haught, per Alonzo's marriage to Sarah Jane Tice in 1920 in Washington County, Ohio, was the biological father of Alonzo. Alonzo's records use the surname of Tice, Duff, and Swallows. No where else, except in his marriage record, does he use the name "Haught". According to his Wife's records, Alonzo, died between 1930 and 1940, although, as of March 24 2013, this has NOT been verified through records.
7. HAZEL TICE was born on January 16, 1896. Nancy, her Mother, lists her on her birth record as "Hasel M. Tice" and states that she was born in Independence Township, Washington County, Ohio. She is NOT listed as illegitimate on her birth record, as many of Nancy's children are on theirs, but the space lists NO biological father. Hazel's last name is listed as "Duff" in 1900 Census, but this is VERY unlikely. Catherine J. Sams, a family researcher, through her research with Evelyn Duff, states that Hazel M. Tice's Father was Watson Tice. Perry Watson Tice frequently used his middle name, instead of his first name, in records and he is the only Watson Tice in the area in which Hazel was conceived that can be documented, hence Hazel is presumed to have been fathered by Perry Watson Tice, Son of John Granville Tice and Jane Tucker.
8 Elsie B. Mead was born on 8/1899 in Washington County, Ohio. His biological father was Frank Mead.
Nancy, married Richard Hanlon on 9/25/1919 in Pleasants County, WV.
(Much thanks goes to Sue Patterson Miller Smith and to Catharine J. Sams for providing additional research materials beyond mine.)
Susan A. Tice (1817 - 1901)
William Walter Enochs (1875 - 1939)*
John Henry Duff (1880 - 1964)*
Jacob Norman Scott (1882 - 1940)*
Tracie Louise Scott West (1887 - 1938)*
Hazel M. Tice Forshey (1896 - 1966)*
Elza/Elsie Bernard Mead(e) (1899 - 1978)*
Martin V. Tice (1842 - 1902)*
Nancy Catharine Swallow (1861 - 1924)
Muskingum Valley Church Cemetery
Created by: A. L. Schmidt
Record added: Apr 26, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 89166589
A. L. Schmidt
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.