|Death: ||Sep. 7, 1347|
Margaret de Audley, 2nd Baroness Audley and Countess of Stafford.
Daughter and heiress to Sir Hugh de Audley, 1st Earl of Gloucester and his wife Margaret de Clare. Granddaughter of Sir Hugh de Audley and Iseult de Mortimer, and direct descendant of both King Edward I and King John of England.
Margaret was abducted by Ralph Stafford, 1st Earl of Stafford, whose income was less than a tenth of Margaret's. A complaint was filed by her parents, but King Edward III of England supported Stafford. He appeased Hugh and Margaret by creating Hugh Earl of Gloucester. They were married before 06 July 1336 and had two sons and four daughters:
* Ralph married Maud of Lancaster & Isabel de Beaumont
* Sir Hugh, 2nd Earl of Stafford married Philippa de Beauchamp
* Thomas, clerk
* Elizabeth married Fulk le Strange, John de Ferres & Reginald Cobham
* Beatrice married Maurice FitzGerald, Thomas de Ros & Sir Richard Burley
* Joan married John Charleton & Gilbert Talbot
* Katherine married Sir John de Sutton
Margaret was buried at the feet of her parents, and Sir Ralph was later buried beside her.
Hugh de Audley (1289 - 1347)
Margaret de Clare (1293 - 1342)
Ralph Stafford (1301 - 1372)
Beatrice de Stafford de Burley (____ - 1415)*
Elizabeth Stafford Cobham (____ - 1376)*
Hugh de Stafford (1344 - 1386)*
Tonbridge and Malling Borough
Maintained by: Anne Shurtleff Stevens
Originally Created by: Jerry Ferren
Record added: Nov 16, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 80533801