|Birth: ||Oct. 13, 1873|
|Death: ||Aug. 26, 1951|
James Rogers "Jim" Jordan was the second child of Mabel Jeannette Johnson and John Henderson "Henry" Jordan. He was born 13 Oct 1873 and was married on 13 May 1895. His siblings were:
Rosa Ann "Rosyann" (wife of Alex Ratcliffe), John McConathy (husband of Ida Methvin), Bettie J "Lizzie" (wife of Robert A James), and Minnie (wife of Robert James).
Jim married Viola Bailey, the daughter of William Hopkins Bailey, B 22 Oct 1839 D 2 April 1919, and, Susan Elizabeth Turner, born 24 Nov 1848 died 10 Jan 1880; she was the daughter of Cornelius "Neal" Turner and Mary Jane Turner (her sister May Turner was married to Charles Beck). The brothers and sisters of Viola were:
Jessie Lee Bailey b 26 Nov 1867 died July 4 1936
Cornelia Bailey born 02 Feb 1870
John Loy Bailey born 06 Nov 1871
Turner Bailey born 20 Feb 1865 died 15 Feb 1927
James Rogers Jordan married Viola Bailey on May 13, 1895 in Arcadia, Bienville Parish Louisiana. They had 6 boys and 6 girls; all but 2 of the boys lived into adulthood. The children born to this union were:
- Henderson born 11 Oct 1896 in Claiborne Parish - the Sheriff who worked with FBI Agent Purvis in the capture of Bonnie and Clyde.
When Henderson heard from a Methvin relative that they planned to rob the First National Bank of Arcadia he contacted Agent Purvis and the plot was hatched.
Henderson married Annie Lesba Gloer; they had 2 children, Lesba Gloria 16 Jul 1925 and James Larry 30 Jul 1931.
Henderson died on 13 Jun 1958 in Arcadia, Bienville Parish, Louisiana; his wife died 29 Aug 1961 and was laid beside him.
- Nita Jeannette "Nettie" Jordan, born 18 Aug 1898 In Arcadia. On 07 Apr 1918, she married Lovis Kirkland Crosby, born 11 Nov 1895 Lincoln Parish, Louisiana and died in September 1974. His parents were Emma Ann Younse (1867-1939) and Joseph Richard Crosby (1866-1946).
Nettie served as the Dean of Women at Louisiana State University. They had one daughter, Agnes born 1919 in Westlake, Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana. On 07 Sep 1939, she married Dr. George Thomas Jr born 17 Aug 1917 died 26 Mar 1979 in Shreveport, Louisiana; they had 6 children.
- William Reves born 04 Jul 1900 died 04 May 1995 in Ruston, Lincoln Parish, Louisiana. On 04 Apr 1930 he married Martell Crump, born 11 May 1907 in Westlake Calcasieu Parish to Adella surname unknown (1883-?) and Henry Crump (1883-?).
To this union 5 children were born, Tom Lynn, DeLane, Wayne, and Anna Nell and Dorothy Dell who were still born twins in 1940.
- Susan Elizabeth "Susie" born 25 May 1902 in Arcadia. On 16 Aug 1912 she married James Wylie Pearce, Jr born 03 Mar 1898 in Arcadia; he was the son of Margaret Ann "Maggie" Lee (1857-1938) and James Wylie Pearce, Sr (1855-1902). To this union, 4 children were born: Susan Elizabeth born 21 Oct 1924, James Wylie III born in 1925, John Paul born 26 May 1929 died 2000, and William Garvis born 20 Dec 1931 died 2008. All their children were married and she had several grand children and great grandchildren.
- Minnie Mae born 11 Sep 1903 in Arcadia; she married Garland D Watson and they had 2 children, Janice died 24 Feb 1927 and James died 09 Feb 1977. Garland was killed instantly in a car accident on Highway 80 between Shreveport and Arcadia, Louisiana. Minnie Mae's children were grown and she moved in with her mother to care for her.
- Carl J born 01 Jan 1905 and died 18 Feb 1905, 1 month old
- Turner Loy born 14 Mar 1906 died 31 Jan 1999 in Burnett County, Texas. He married twice, first to Lilla Bell Eaststep born in 1906, married 19 Mar 1926 and they had two children, James and Michelle. After Lilla died he married Jane Howard born 1911 died 1996, together they had 1 child, James Wesley "Jim" born 04 Feb 1941 died 10 Aug 1984 and they also adopted Cathy who was born 23 July 1938.
- James Garvis born 11 Dec 1908 died 07 Sep 1925 at age 16 when he fell off of a horse and died from brain damage.
- Martha Earline born 20 Apr 1911 and died 20 Nov 1977 never married.
- Joe Richard born 25 Jun 1913 died 08 May 1946, age 32 never married.
James Rogers "Jim" Jordan was well know throughout the state for his mule team and ability to ride. There is a hill between Arcadia and Minden that was referred to by the locals as "Jordan Hill" because when the old Model T's came along that hill was too steep for them to pull the grade. So Papa Jordan, as the grand children called him, took his mule team out there and "drug the hill" now the old cars could travel to Minden. Jim preceded his wife Viola in death on August 26, 1951, I was only 3 but remember him well. Viola joined him on January 2, 1964. The window in the Methodist Church of Arcadia was dedicated to them for their work in the community.
Viola Bailey Jordan (1875 - 1964)
Henderson Jordan (1896 - 1958)*
William Reves Jordan (1900 - 1995)*
Susan Elizabeth Jordan Pearce (1902 - 1972)*
James Garvis Jordan (1908 - 1925)*
Martha Earline Jordan (1911 - 2004)*
Joe Richard Jordan (1913 - 1946)*
OCT. 13, 1873
AUG. 26, 1951
Maintained by: Susan Bruffey Lehman
Originally Created by: Scout Finch
Record added: Jun 18, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 71565271