|Birth: ||Jun. 16, 1841|
|Death: ||Nov. 26, 1918|
In the 1850 U.S. census, 10 yr. old C. R. Penn, b. in MO., was living in District 59, Monroe, MO. with his (her)
45 yr. old father, William N. Penn, a clerk, b. in VA.
38 yr. old mother, Sarah E Penn, b. in KY.
16 yr. old sister, A. E. Penn, b. in MO.
12 yr. old brother, William L. Penn, b. in MO.
11 yr. old sister, Mary E. Penn, b. in MO.
5 yr. old sister, Laura N. Penn, b. in MO.
8 yr. old Tobias Herndon, b. in MO.
65 yr. old William I Freeland, a preacher, b. in VA.
On the 12th day of October, 1858, Judge Brace was married to Miss Rosanna C. Penn, a daughter of William N. Penn. Mrs. Brace is a lady of many estimable qualities of head and heart, and is held in the highest esteem by all who know her. She is a lady of rare culture and refinement, and by her presence and brilliant conversation lends an additional charm to the polite and cultured society of Paris. Judge and Mrs. Brace have seven children, namely: Kate, Ned, Jessie Paul, Pauline Penn, Ruth and Theodore; they lost one daughter. Judge Brace has held several local offices, such as city attorney, etc., and was once prominently put forward by his friends for Representative in Congress from this district, but peremptorily, yet kindly, and with proper appreciation of the compliment and honor intended to be conferred, declined to make the race.
Excerpt from: History of Monroe and Shelby Counties Missouri 1884
Transcribed by Vicki Bryan, proofread by Nancy Overlander.
Judge Theodore Brace and Roanna 'Catharine' Penn were married on Oct. 12, 1858 in Monroe, MO., according to Missouri Marriage records.
Theodore and Roanna Brace became the parents of the following children:
1. Katie Brace, b. Jan. 28, 1862 in MO. (On Jun. 4, 1884, Kate became the wife of William F./S. Summerkamp, a druggist of Bowling Green, Missouri - and may have later remarried to become Kathleen Powell of CA.
Kate (listed as Mrs. W.F. Summerkamp in the newspapers), died Jan. 24, 1948 in Bowling Green, MO.)
2. Ned Brace, b. Oct. 8, 1864/1865 in MO. and d. Oct. 12, 1921 in Paris, Monroe, MO. of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Worry over the death of his father was thought to be the cause. Ned was well known in baseball circles and one time was given a tryout in a big league. He was also a druggist at Bowling Green, MO. Ned never married.
3. Jessie Brace, b. Jun. 4, 1868/ 1869 in MO. On Oct. 24, 1893, Jesse married Capt. Alexander Hamilton Weber, secretary of the Rivers and Harbors Committee of the National House of Representatives. Jessie didn't have any children. Jessie died May 29, 1951 and is buried in Arlington national Cemetery with her husband.
4. Paul Brace (twin), b. Sep. 25, 1870 in Paris, Monroe, MO. and d. Apr. 9, 1949 in Tulsa, Tulsa, OK. Paul became a stenographer in the Auditor's Office and for Judge Bond of the Missouri Supreme Court at Jefferson City. On Jun. 7, 1893, Paul marr. Elrena Bodine, of Paris, MO. They had one child, Theodore Brace, b. Mar. 10, 1894.
5. Pauline Brace (twin), b. Sep. 25 1870 in Paris, Monroe, MO. and d. in 1961. Pauline married Robert Alexander Crawford, of Jefferson City. They had once child, Robert Brace Penn Crawford, b. Jan. 26, 1899. Robert Alexander Crawford was a Civil Engineer in the service of the government and was engaged in the construction of the harbor of San Pedro, L.A., CA., at the time of his death. Pauline, after having reached the age of forty, courageously took up the study of shorthand and became the private secretary of Attorney Walsh, of Kansas City, MO.
After her husband's death, Pauline married, second, I.M. Lee.
6. Penn Brace, b. Mar. 19, 1873 in Paris, Monroe, MO. and d. Dec. 30, 1933 twelve miles south of Paris, Monroe, MO.
7. Emma Ruth Brace (twin), b. Sep. 8, 1876 in MO. and d. 1877 (later Ruth Owens of Houston, TX.)
8. (Charles) Theodore Brace (twin), b. Sep. 8, 1876 in MO. and d. 1888
In the 1860 U.S. census, 19 yr. old Roannah Brace, b. in MO., was living in Jackson, Monroe, MO. (Post Office:Paris) with her
25 yr. old husband, Theadore (Theodore) Brace, an attorney, b. in MD.
In the 1880 U.S. census, 38 yr. old Roanna Brace, b. in MO., was living in Paris, Monroe, MO. with her
44 yr. old husband, Theodore Brace, a lawyer and probate judge, b. in MD.
18 yr. old daughter, Katie Brace, b. in MO.
15 yr. old son, Ned Brace, a clerk in a grocery store, b. in MO.
11 yr. old daughter, Jesse Brace, b. in MO.
8 yr. old son (a twin), Paul Brace, b. in MO.
8 yr. old daughter (Pauline) (a twin) Brace, b. in MO.
6 yr. old son, Penn Brace, b. in MO.
3 yr. old brother, Theodore Brace, b. in MO.
70 yr. old mother, Sarah E. Penn, b. in KY.
Theodore Sr.'s father was b. in England and his mother in VA.
Roanna's father was b. in VA. and his mother in KY.
La Plata Home Press (La Platea, MO.),
Fri., Feb. 26, 1892, P.2
Received by Gov. andMrs. Francis
The members of the legislature were entertained by Gov. and Mrs. David R. Francis at the Executive Mansion, Jefferson City, on the evening of the 17th.
The invitations, which were general, read from 8 to 12, and during the four hours there was a veritable crush in the big halls of the mansion. The house was decorated tastefully, with cut flowers and potted plants, and never looked handsomer. Mrs. Francis was assisted in receiving by Mrs. A.A. Lesueur, Mrs. J. M. Siebert, MissMay McKee, Mrs. J.M. Hall, Mrs. Theodore Brace and other ladies of the state administration. Refreshments were served in the dining room, and later in the evening there was dancing.
Leavenworth Post (Leavenworth, KS.)
Fri., Dec. 10, 1897, P. 1
Judge Brace’s Daughter to Wed
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo., Dec. 9 - Judge and Mrs. Theodore Brace yesterday issued invitations to the marriage of their daughter, Miss Pauline, to R.A. Crawford, a government engineer, to be solemnized on Monday, December 20.
In the 1900 U.S. census, 58 yr. old Catharine R Brace, b. Jun. 1841 in MO., was living in Jefferson, Cole, MO. with her
64 yr. old husband, Theodore Brace, a Supreme Court Judge, b. Jun. 1835 in MD.
27 yr. old son, Penn Brace, b. Mar. 1873 in MO.
30 yr. old house servant, Henrietta Frisch, b. May 1870 in MO.
Theodore and Catharine had been married for 42 yrs.
Catherine was the mother of 8 children, 6 still alive by this census.
Theodore's parents were both b. in MD.
Catharine's father was b. in VA. and her mother in KY.
In the 1910 U.S. census, 68 yr. old Roanna C. Brace, b. in MO. was living on a farm in Jackson, Monroe, MO., with her
74 yr. old Theods (Theodore) Brace, a lawyer, b. in MD.,
46 yr. old unmarried son, Ned Brace, a farmer on a stock farm, b. in MO.
20 yr. old companion, Freda Schott, b. in MO.
Theodore's father was b. in England and his mother in MD.
Roanna's was b. in VA. and her mother in KY.
This was a first marriage for both Theodore and Roanna. They had been married for 51 years.
Roanna was the mother of 8 children, only 6 still alive by this census.
William Nelson Penn (1804 - 1873)
Sarah Emerine Penn (1810 - 1886)
Theodore Brace (1835 - 1921)
Ned Brace (1865 - 1921)*
Jessie Brace Weber (1868 - 1951)*
Paul Brace (1870 - 1949)*
Pauline Brace Crawford (1870 - 1961)*
Penn Brace (1873 - 1933)*
Charles Theodore Brace (1876 - 1888)*
Mary E Penn (1838 - 1865)*
Catherine Roanna Penn Brace (1841 - 1918)
Walnut Grove Cemetery
Maintained by: Chloé
Originally Created by: Randy Clark
Record added: May 15, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 69872996