|Birth: ||Jul. 28, 1843|
|Death: ||Dec. 8, 1876|
Eldest child of Thomas B.S. Stone and Nancy Ann Murphree. An extended bio will be added later.
On Sept. 28, 1865 at the now extinct town of Lafayette, Doniphan County, KS, John m. Prudence Ann Knowles (by Parson Eli Towne of Holt County, MO), dau. of Thomas and Sarah Knowles, b. June 17, 1845 at Davis County in the Iowa Territory. She d. Mar. 1, 1923 at Paden, OK. They had the following six children:
• i. Thomas Nimrod Stone, Sr., b. Aug. 3, 1866 at Doniphan County, KS, d. May 21, 1953 at Edmund, OK but is interred at Beggs, OK; m. 1) Aug. 18, 1889 at Skullyville in Choctaw Indian Terriory (now LeFlore County, OK), Sarah Josephine "Sarah Jo" Nessmith, dau. of Franklin D. and Susan M. Nessmith, b. in Dec. 1869 at Saverton Twp, Ralls, MO. She d. circa 1896 in the Cherokee Indian at present-day Gore, OK. Thomas m. 2) circa 1897 his deceased wife's widowed sister, Lillian Margaret (Nessmith) Lowery, b. circa 1867. She d. circa 1902 at Cedars in the Choctaw Indian Terriory, now LeFlore County, OK. Thomas m. 3) Oct. 30, 1906 at Ft. Smith, AR, Malizabeth "Minnie" Wells, dau. of George Wells and Rosina Bunn, and widow of Charles A. "Fairchild" Southerland. She d. May 12, 1952 at Beggs, OK. Thomas had eight children by his three wives plus two stepsons by his 2nd wife.
• ii. Nancy M. Stone, b. Feb. 14, 1868 at Doniphan County, KS, d. Dec. 16, 1890 in the Cherokee Indian Territory at present-day Gore, OK; m. Feb. 28, 1889 at Skullyville in Choctaw Indian Territory, Daniel D. Wright, b. in Dec. 1868 at Missouri, s. of unknown parents. They had one child, a son named Claude b. Nov. 21, 1890 who d. in infancy Feb. 8, 1891. Daniel D. Wright would subsequently have three additional wives and only one surviving child by them, plus a stepson by his 2nd wife and three step-children by his fourth wife. He d. Mar. 7, 1929 poss. at Phoenix, AR.
• iii. Otty Jane Stone, b. May 27, 1870 at Doniphan County, KS; d. in infancy May 29, 1871 after chocking on a sewing thimble.
• iv. Timothy Nimrod Stone, b. Mar. 17, 1872 at Doniphan County, KS, d. Jan. 20, 1958 at the National City section of San Diego, CA; m. bef. Mar. 1902, Bertha Margaret "Bird" Hastings, dau. of Robert James Yell Hastings and Melissa Catherine Southerland, b. purportedly Jan. 27, 1885 at Benton County, AR. She d. Aug. 7, 1956 at the National City section of San Diego, CA. Six children of the family, all daughters.
• v. George Stone, b. Oct. 14, 1874 at Cincinnati, AR; d. unmarried and buried Apr. 25, 1903 in the Cherokee Indian Territory at or near present-day Gore, OK.
• vi. Albert Nimrod Stone, b. Apr. 8, 1876 at Cincinnati, AR, d. Nov. 22, 1952 at Lawton, OK; m. 1) Dec. 27, 1900 at Webber Falls in the Cherokee Indian Territory, now Muskogee County, OK, Dora Nessmith, a younger sister of his oldest brother Thomas' first two wives, b. circa 1882. She d. circa 1905 at near Cedars in the Choctaw Indian Terrototy, now LeFlore County, OK. Albert m. 2) Dec. 6, 1906 ast Ft. Smith, AR, Clara Kilgore, dau. of William S. Kilgore and Sarah M. "Maggie" Hill, b. Aug. 5, 1880 at Eureka Springs, AR. She d. Feb. 20, 1972 at Lawton, OK. Two children by first wife Dora and five by second wife Clara.
John is believed to be interred at Union Cemetery at Cincinnati, AR although no record confirms he is interred there. However, the earliest burial records at that cemetery are based on surviving gravestones. Multiple attempts by extended family, including the memorialist, have failed to locate his grave among an abundance of unmarked field stones. When he died, he owned a 40-acre tract of land along a ridgeline 5-6 miles northeast of Cincinnati's small town center. In 1999 the property was owned by a resident of Tulsa, OK. Unfortunately, his abstract of the property's former ownership did not go back far enough to include mention of John's ownership in the 1870s, and no old private grave was known to exist on the property.
Thomas B.S. Stone (1822 - 1877)
Nancy Ann Murphree Stone (1822 - 1896)
Prudance Ann Knowles Stone (1845 - 1923)
Bettie Elizabeth Stone Lee (1864 - 1943)*
Thomas Nimrod Stone (1866 - 1953)*
Nancy M. Stone Wright (1868 - 1890)*
Timothy Nimrod Stone (1872 - 1958)*
George Stone (1874 - 1903)*
Albert Clyde Stone (1876 - 1952)*
John Nimrod Stone (1843 - 1876)
Alonzo H. Stone (1852 - ____)*
Mary Ann Stone Botts (1857 - ____)*
Nancy Phelps Stone Cullifer (1863 - 1952)*
Claude L. Stone (1865 - 1920)*
Old Union Cemetery
Created by: Don Blauvelt
Record added: Feb 08, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 65382931
Rest in Peace Grandfather|
Added: Jul. 17, 2011