West Yorkshire, England
|Death: ||Dec. 5, 1668|
Jonathan Fairbanks, immigrant ancestor of the Dedham, Mass. Fairbanks family. He was b. during the 1590s, s. of John Fairbank(s) of greater Halifax, West Riding of Yorkshire, England and either his father's 2nd wife Isabella Staincliffe or 3rd wife Ellen Parker. Jonathan m. Grace Smith May 20, 1617 at Halifax and immigrated with his family to Boston, Mass. betw. 1633 and 1635 settling permanently by 1636 at Dedham, Mass.
Readers and fellow descendants are referred to the excellent research and conclusions regarding Jonathan's ancestry by two of his descendants in the July 2012 issue of the New England Historic Genealogical Register (166:165-187.)
Jonathan and Grace (Smith) Fairbank(s) had six known children, all b. at one of several towns or villages at or near Halifax, England. At the time, the Church of England required children to be baptized at the parish where the parents were then residing:
• i. John Fairbanks, bapt. Feb. 8, 1617/8, d. Nov. 13, 1684; m. Mar. 16, 1641/2 at Dedham, Mass., Sarah Fiske. who d. Nov. 26, 1683 at Dedham. Eight children of the family.
• ii. George Fairbanks, bapt. Nov 28, 1619 at Shelf near Halifax, d. Jan. 10, 1680/1 at Medfield, Mass.; m. Oct. 26, 1646 at Dedham, Mary Adams, who d. Aug. 11, 1711.
• iii. Mary Fairbanks, bapt. in Feb. 1621/2 at Shelf near Halifax, d. June 4, 1684 at Dedham, Mass.; m. 1) Apr. 2, 1644 at Dedham, Mass., Michael Metcalf, Jr., b. or bapt. Aug. 29, 1620 at Norwich, England. Five children of the family. She m. 2) Aug. 2, 1654 at Dedham, Christopher Smith. They had one known child.
• iv. Jonas Fairbanks, bapt. Mar. 6, 1624/5, was killed in a massacre by the Indians Feb. 10, 1675/6 at Lancaster, Mass.; m. May 28, 1658 at Lancaster, Mass., Lydia Prescott where seven children are of record.
• v. Susan Fairbanks, bapt. Dec. 10, 1627 at Thorton-in-Craven near Halifax, d. July 8, 1659 at Dedham, Mass.; m. Oct. 12, 1647 at Dedham as his 1st wife, Sgt. Ralph Day. Five children of the family. Ralph m. 2) Nov. 15, 1659 at Dedham, Abigail Crafts, widow of John Ruggles, dau. of Lieut. Griffin and Alice Crafts of Roxbury, Mass.
• vi. Jonathan Fairbanks, Jr., b. circa 1630, d. Jan. 28, 1711/2 at Dedham, Mass.; m. Oct. 4, 1649 at Cambridge, Mass., Deborah Shepard, dau. of Edward Shepard and Violet Charnould, who d. Sept. 7, 1705 at Dedham. Eight children of the family.
Updated March 21, 2013.
Grace Smith Fairbanks (1597 - 1673)
John Fairbanks (1618 - 1684)*
George Fairbanks (1619 - 1683)*
Mary Fairbanks Smith (1622 - 1684)*
Jonas Fairbanks (1625 - 1676)*
Susan Fairbanks Day (1627 - 1659)*
No gravestone is known to exist, or if it once existed has crumbled away with the passage of time. See note at the main page of the Old Village Cemetery of Dedham.
Old Village Cemetery
Created by: Don Blauvelt
Record added: Feb 07, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 65298844