|Birth: ||Mar. 1, 1707|
|Death: ||Mar. 11, 1784|
Brigadier General Jedediah Preble is a grandson of Abraham Preble and Judith Tilden. He was born in York, in the Province of Maine, 1707. Jedediah Preble married (first) Ms. Martha JUNKINS, daughter of Alexander Junkins, on March 21st, 1733. They had four sons and one daughter together before she died at Falmouth, on the 10th of March, 1753.
- Jedediah, who married Avis Phillips of Boston
- Samuel, who died in the West Indies, unmarried
- John, who married Sarah Frost, of Machias.
- William, who went to sea and was never heard from after.
- Lucy, who married Jonathan Webb, of Boston.
On the 9th of May, 1754, Jedediah Preble married (second) Mrs. Mehitable BANGS Roberts, a childless widow of John Roberts, Jr. She was the daughter of Captain Joshua and Mehitable (Clarke) BANGS, then of Falmouth, but who originated in Harwich, Cape Cod. At this time, he was Captain Preble and 47 years old, and she was about 26 years of age. They had five sons and two daughters together.
- Martha, born November 18th, 1754.
- Ebenezer, born August 15th, 1757.
- Joshua, born November 28th, 1759.
- Edward, born August 15th, 1761, who was a Commodore in the United States Navy. (Memorial #7550250)
- Enoch, born July 2nd, 1763, who was President of the Portland Marine Society thirty-one years.
- Statira, born January 3rd, 1767.
- Henry, born January 24th, 1770, who was for many years a Consul for the United States at Palerno and other ports of Europe.
--Information taken from "Genealogical Sketch of the First Three Generations of Prebles in America by George Henry Preble
Note: A Patriot of the American Revolution for MASSACHUSETTS with the rank of BRIGADIER GENERAL.
DAR Ancestor # A092655
Martha Junkins Preble (1714 - 1753)
Mehitable Roberts Bangs Preble (1728 - 1805)*
Jedediah Preble (1734 - 1783)*
Samuel Preble (1738 - ____)*
John Preble (1742 - 1787)*
Lucy Preble Webb (1744 - ____)*
William Preble (1748 - ____)*
Martha Preble Oxnard (1754 - 1824)*
Ebenezer Preble (1757 - 1817)*
Joshua Preble (1759 - 1803)*
Edward Preble (1761 - 1807)*
Enoch Preble (1763 - 1842)*
Statira Preble Codman (1767 - 1796)*
Henry Preble (1770 - 1825)*
ALL THAT IS MORTAL
JEDIDIAH PREBLE, ESQUIRE,
WHO DIED MARCH 11, 1784
AGED 77 YEARS
HE ACTED ON ALL THE STAGES OF
TRUSTY COMMANDER AT SEA,
AN INTREPID SOLDIER,
A PRUDENT GENERAL,
A WISE LEGISLATOR,
AN UPRIGHT JUDGE.
Where is thy sting, oh death?
And where thy victory, grave?
Created by: Ginger Carrick
Record added: Jan 22, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 64550070