|Birth: ||Apr. 10, 1642|
|Death: ||Jun. 13, 1723|
"Widow of Rev. John Rogers, president of Harvard College and daughter of Major Gen. Daniel Denison, she died aged 82 years."
Elizabeth was born to General Daniel and Patience (Dudley) Denison in Ipswich. Her mother was the daughter of Gov. Thomas Dudley and his first wife, Dorothy Yorke. Eizabeth Denison and her brother John were the only two children of Daniel and Patience, to live to an adult age. She had two sisters to die as infants in 1651 and 1654. Her brother John (1640-1671) married on February 2, 1663 to Martha Symonds, who was the daughter of Deputy Governor Symonds. John died at the early age of 31 years.
Elizabeth was married to Rev. John Rogers at the age 18 in 1660. Rev. John Rogers (1630–1684) was the eldest son of Rev. Nathaniel Rogers. Her husband John was baptised at Coggeshall, Essex, England on January 23, 1630 and emigrated with his father to New England in 1636.
He graduated at Harvard University in 1649 in theology and medicine, and commenced to practice the latter at Ipswich. But he afterwards became assistant to his father in the church of the same place, and abandoned medicine.
He was chosen president of Harvard in April 1682, to succeed Urian Oaks, was inaugurated in 1683, but died on July 12, 1684 at age 54, and was succeeded by Increase Mather.
Elizabeth and John are known to have had the following children.
1. Jeremiah Rogers (1659-1729), m. Abigail Trescott.
2. Elizabeth Rogers (1661-1754), m. Col. John Appleton (1652-1739) on Nov. 23, 1681.
3. Margaret Rogers (1663-1720), m. John N. Leverett (Harvard President).
4. Rev. John Rogers (1666-1745), m. Martha Whittingham (1670-1759) on Mar. 4, 1690.
5. Daniel Rogers (1667-1722), m. Sarah Appleton (1671-1755) in 1694.
6. Nathaniel Rogers (1670-1723), m. Sarah Purkiss (1680-1747) on Oct. 26, 1698.
7. Patience Rogers (1676-1731), m. Benjamin Marston (1650-1719) on Apr. 14, 1696.
Elizabeth died in Ipswich at the age of 82 and is buried next to her father's monument in the Old North Burial Ground in Ipswich.
Daniel Denison (1612 - 1682)
Patience Dudley Denison (1612 - 1690)
John Rogers (1630 - 1684)*
Elizabeth Rogers Appleton (1663 - 1754)*
Margaret Rogers Leverett (1664 - 1720)*
John Rogers (1666 - 1745)*
Daniel Rogers (1667 - 1722)*
Patience Rogers Marston (1676 - 1731)*
Old Burying Ground
Plot: Section C, Site 103
Maintained by: Kline Lynch
Originally Created by: Nareen, et al
Record added: Jan 13, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 64169401