|Birth: ||Apr. 29, 1921|
|Death: ||Sep. 6, 2002|
North Carolina, USA
GASTONIA - Ernest A. Givens, 81, died Friday, September 6, 2002 at his residence. He was born in Telico Plains, Tn. on April 29, 1921, the son of the late Joseph Henry Givens and Emily Derrick Givens. He was a member of Loray Baptist Church for 35 years and present member of Mt. Harmony Baptist Church. He retired from Southern Life Insurance Company after 22 years of service. Formerly employed by Firestone Textiles with 23 years of service.
Ernest was an avid gardner and an active member of the Baptist Laymen's Witnessing Foundation, and the Gideon's International.
Visitation will be between 7pm-9pm Sunday at Greene Funeral Service, West Chapel. The funeral service will begin at 2pm Monday at Greene Funeral Service, West Chapel. Dr. Buddy Pigg, Miss Lynn Hudson, and Mr. Donald Greene will officiate. Burial will be in Gaston Memorial Park. The family will be at 213 King George Lane, Gastonia when not at the funeral home.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Joseph Henry and Emily Derrick Givens; brothers Joe and Bill Givens, and sisters, Delia and Bertha Givens.
Survivors are wife of 62 years, Ophelia Fletcher Givens of the home; sons James E. "Jim" Givens and Robert D. Givens both of Gastonia, Charles A. "Chuck" Givens of Matthews, and Kenneth M. Givens of Charlotte; daughter Ruby G. Hudson of Macon, Ga.; grandchildren, Lynn Hudson, Susan Bray, Tisha Reed, Melanie Campbell, Todd Hall, Angela Lutz, Michael Givens, Ryan Givens, Benji Givens; great-grandchildren Kayleigh Bray, Madison Bray, Taylor Bray, Ashleigh Reed, Brandon Reed, Blake Abernathy, and Ryan Givens.
Memorials may be made to Gideon's International, 2900 Lebanon Road, Nashville, TN 37214.
* * * * * * * * * *
Ernest and Ophelia had five children:
1. Ruby Hudson married Glenn Hudson. They had two daughters: 1) Lynn Hudson 2) Susan Hudson married Steve Bray. They had three daughters: Kayleigh Bray, Madison Leigh Bray, and Taylor Bray.
2. James "Jim" Ernest Givens who married 1st Sherry, 2nd Linda, 3rd Dottie.
3. Charles "Chuck" Alfred Givens who married 1st Pat (daughter of Permley and Bertha) and had daughter Tisha Givens Johnson. She had three children: Asheligh Reed, Brandon Reed, and Blake Reed. Chuck married 2nd Jamie.
4. Kenneth Michael Givens married Kathy Lynn Smith. She was the daughter of James Milton Smith and Rose Simril. They had a daughter Melane. He married 2nd to Kathy Michelle Benninghove. She was the daughter of Norman Benninghove, Jr. and Frieda Katherine Freimuth.
5. Robert Douglas Givens who married 1st Connie -- and had son Todd. He married 2nd Deborah Lutz who had a daughter Angela Lutz. Debbie was the daughter of Ralph and Doris Lutz. Angela married Gabe Munoz and they had a son Josh Munoz. Robert and Debbie had three sons 1) Michael Robert Givens who married Carolyn and they had a son Ryan Benjamin Givens Wright. 2) Ryan Jeffrey Givens 3) "Benji" Benjamin Givens who has a daughter Riley Brooke Givens with Stephanie Felts. Stephanie was the granddaughter of Garland Bryan Conard and Myrtle Ruth Harmon.
Joseph Henry Givens (1884 - 1966)
Emily Jane Derrick Givens (1885 - 1941)
Clara Ophelia Fletcher Givens (1919 - 2010)
Joseph Henry Givens (1909 - 1982)*
William Robert Givens (1916 - 1990)*
Ernest Alfred Givens (1921 - 2002)
Gaston Memorial Park
North Carolina, USA
Created by: Lanie
Record added: Dec 06, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 62642761