|Birth: ||Jan. 12, 1832|
|Death: ||Oct. 7, 1908|
Winifred "Minnie" Polk was the daughter of Andrew and Martha Kimbell Polk, who are buried in Leon county TX. Her grandfather was Charles Polk(b.1760), a revolutionary war soldier buried in San Augustine county TX. The POLK family seemed related to almost everyone who was anyone in deep east texas politics, as well as to national figures like President James K. Polk.
Louisa Polk b: ABT 1816 in Tennessee
Eirline Polk b: 1816/1826
William Charles Taylor Polk b: 1819/1820 in Mo
Jemima Ann Polk b: ABT 1826 in Mo
Martha Jane Polk b: 1828 in Mo
Carroll Polk b: 1830 in Mo
Winifred Polk married James Monroe Anderson, a prominent lawyer in Cherokee county TX, on Oct/Nov. 26, 1851.
They had the folowing children:
* Charles Edwin ANDERSON b: 28 Sep 1852 in Rusk ,Texas and died 27 Feb 1924 in Austin, TX. He attended Waco public schools, Baylor University and Eastman Business College in New York. He was associated with the Day Land and cattle Company and later established the Matagorda Land and Cattle Company, and became president of the Cattle Raisers Association. He later became vice president of the Heywood Oil co. He was one of the founders of the Austin Country Club and also served on the Austin City Council. He was married to (1st wife)m. Nov 26, 1874, Texas Ellen Goodrich - (2nd wife)m. Oct 16,1920, Myrtle Rogers Looney in Bastrop, TX.
* James P ANDERSON b: Abt. 1855 in Cherokee Co., TX
* Stockton Donley ANDERSON b: March 1857 in Cherokee county Texas; d. Feb 10, 1925, Waco, TX, burial in Houston, TX; occupation was auto parts and gasoline.
* Frank ANDERSON b: abt. 1859 in Cherokee Co., TX;
* Mattie Anderson b. 1862 in Cherokee Co. TX.
* William Pinckney ANDERSON b: 16 Aug 1865 in Rusk, Cherokee Co., TX, d. 11 Sep 1912; He was an attorney and married to Leah Couts of Parker county TX, both buried in Oakland cemetery, Parker county, TX. Leah was the daughter of J.R. Couts( banker and large land owner) and Martha Hardin of Parker county, TX. His brother-in-law was Samuel Burk Burnett, owner of the Four Sixes(6666) ranch.
Winifred and James moved to Waco, TX in 1866. James established his practice in a partnership with Richard Coke of Waco, TX. (Richard Coke eventually became the 15th governor of Texas, represented Texas in the U.S.Senate from 1877 to 1895, and also credited as the father of Texas A&M.)
James Anderson was elected to the Texas Thirteeth Legislature in 1873.
Mrs. W. P. Anderson, aged 76 years, died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Dr. H. M. Lanham, 1503 Washington, St.at 2 PM this afternoon, after an illness of ten days.
Internment is at Oakwood Cemetery. Mrs. Anderson had been a resident of Waco for a long while, was loved by all who knew her, and her death will be deeply regretted.
The funeral of Mrs. W. P. Anderson will take place at 3 PM this afternoon from the residence of Dr. H. M. Lanham, 1503 Washington Street, conducted by the Rev. C R. Wright, pastor of the Austin Avenue Methodist Church, and Rev. U. S. Thomas, pastor of the Columbus Street Baptist Church.
Mrs Anderson had lived in Waco for more than forty years, was a woman of such strength of character that she drew to her naturally friends from all sides, and these were maintained to the last. Her impress upon the community for good will not be effaced for many years, and she lived here at a time when such strong and good women were especially needed. She was a member of the Baptist Church, faithful and devoted to her duty. She will be missed from all the walks of life which knew her when she was strong enough to get out. She had been in failing health for some time.
Following is a list of the pall bearers: —Dr. A. Kelly, John Orand, John W. Baker, Bart Moore, Frank Wells, Luke Moore, Tom L. McCullough, Pat M. Neff: Honorary pall bearers—Judge John C. West, Judge George Clark, Judge E. A. McKinney, Dr. D. R. Wallace, Dr. R. W. Park, S. B. Humphreys, M. H. Standefer, Sam Sanger.
Andrew Polk (1789 - 1856)
Martha Kimbell Polk (1793 - 1863)
James Monroe Anderson (1824 - 1889)
James Polk Anderson (1855 - 1937)*
Stockton Donley Anderson (1857 - 1925)*
Lula Martha Anderson Kimbrough (1861 - 1935)*
William Pinckney Anderson (1865 - 1912)*
Annie May Anderson Lanham (1873 - 1937)*
Martha Flora Polk Moore (____ - 1856)*
Louisa Polk Newsom (1816 - 1887)*
Charles T. Polk (1818 - 1889)*
Winifred Polk Anderson (1832 - 1908)
Plot: Block 3, Lot 38
Created by: phil r johnson
Record added: Oct 27, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 60691697
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.