|Birth: ||Jul. 22, 1622, England|
|Death: ||Jul. 16, 1694|
James and Miriam Stansfield Draper are the only known Puritan Drapers who ever settled in America, and that an English landowner, or yeoman, named Thomas Draper was the first known ancestor in England of James Draper.
James Draper, 4th son and child of Thomas Draper, was born at Heptonstall, Vicarage of Halifax, Yorkshire County, England, on July 28, 1622. He married Miriam Stansfield in Heptonstall on April 21, 1646. After their first child was born and subsequently died, they migrated to America and settled at Roxbury in Massachusetts, where James became a large landowner and a manufacturer of cloth in the manner of his ancestors in Yorkshire.
He died in July of 1694, and Miriam died in 1697.
Their children are:
(1) Miriam Draper II. Born: 7 February 1647 at Heptonstall, England. Died: ca.7 February 1647 at Heptonstall.
(2) Susanna Draper II. Born: ca. 1650 at Roxbury, Massachusetts; married 1668, John Bacon.
(3) Sarah Draper I. Born: ca. 1652 at Roxbury, Massachusetts, married 19 May 1669, James Hadlock
(4) James Draper II. Born: ca. 1654 at Roxbury, Massachusetts. Died: 30 April 1697 at Roxbury.
(5) John Draper II. Born: 24 April 1656 at Dedham, Massachusetts. Died: 5 April 1749 at Dedham
(6) Moses Draper I. Born: 5 September 1663 at Dedham, Massachusetts; married (1st) 7 July 1685 in Roxbury, Hannah Chandler, daughter of Deacon John & Elizabeth (Douglas) Chander. She was born in Roxbury, 19 September 1669, died in Roxbury, 9 July 1692, and was buried in the Eustis Street Burial Ground in Roxbury, (Find-A-Grave #40689327). Moses Draper married 2nd, in Boston 1 November 1692, Mary Thatcher. He died Aug 14, 1693 at Boston and is buried at Copps Hill Burying Ground in Boston, (Find-A-Grave #6030794)
(7) Daniel Draper I. Born: 30 May 1665 at Dedham, Massachusetts. Died: At Dedham
(8) Patience Draper I. Born: 16 August 1668 at Roxbury, Massachusetts, married 13 March 1689, Ebenezer Case of Boston
(9) Jonathan Draper I. Born: 10 March 1670 at Roxbury, Massachusetts; married before 1703, Sarah Jackson. Died: 28 February 1746/47 at Newton, Mass.
Except for Miriam, all the above-named children constitute the first generation of Puritan Drapers born in America.
Source: Draper, Thomas Waln-Morgan, "The Drapers in America"; John Polhemus Printing Co.: New York, 1892
(bio by: John Warnke (inactive))
Marriam Stansfield Draper (____ - 1694)
Marriam Draper (1647 - 1647)*
Susanna Draper Bacon (1650 - 1678)*
Sarah Draper Hadlock (1652 - 1675)*
James Draper (1654 - 1698)*
Here lyes buried ye body
of Mr. James Draper Aged
About 73 Years
Dec. July 1694
Here lyes ye body
of Mrs. Marriam
Draper wife to
Mr. James Aged
About 77 years
6th Jan. 1697
Westerly Burying Ground
Maintained by: Bette Hartman
Originally Created by: LaVina Quam
Record added: Dec 15, 2001
Find A Grave Memorial# 6030771