|Birth: ||Feb. 8, 1805|
son of Thomas W Lyons & wife (unknown) Lyons
James Harvey Lyons was quite an interesting man. He served in the second Texas legislature, was a Mexican war veteran and served at least 3 years as mayor of San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas (1865-1867) before returning to Pleasanton to retire and be near his son(s), Edwin Ray Lyons and Coleman H "Coley" Lyons.
1st Marriage for James Harvey Lyons was Sarah Askew (born abt 1806 in KY and died sometime after the 1880 census). Note: Her middle name may have been Jane. They married on 08 June 1824 in Gerrard, Kentucky and had at least four known children (first two born in Kentucky and next two born in Indiana) before reported financial difficulties started setting in ca 1837 with the medical profession and other economy downfalls and Sarah reportedly left him when expecting their 5th child who was born after the separation. Although I do not yet have copy of the final divorce it reported occurred by 1840-1844 timeframe. It has not been absolutely proven yet where and when Sarah died, but appears she never married again. She was last found living in 1880 Census in South Homer, Champaign, Illinois with her daughter's family (Helen (1830-1885) & Michel D Coffeen (1813-1882) who both died after the 1880 census). It is possible Sarah died in Sept 1890 in IL and buried in Indiana (but this has not yet been proven to be this Sarah Askew-Lyons - See Findagrave memorial on a Sarah H Lyons who may be the 1st wife of James Harvey Lyons).
Five known children born of his first marriage:
1) Edwin Ray Lyons (1826-1911) born in Kentucky, who married Mary Ann Blackmore on November 4, 1849 in Champaign, Champaign, Illinois and they had a large family and settled in Pleasanton area and is buried in Pleasanton Cemetery (per Tx DC and several of his children are also buried in Pleasanton Cemetery);
2) Barthena C Lyons-Knox-Ingersoll (1827-1883) born in Kentucky, who married 1st William Jr Knox on 25 Apr 1841 (a widower with one daughter Ann Knox whose bio mother Ann Thomas died ca 1839/1841). Barthena & William Knox had two daughters before William left her and the girls behind for a life in the California Gold mines where he died in 1878 (daughters names listed below) and 2nd Barthena married to a widower, Josiah Curtis Ingersoll, (1825-1880) on 21 Apr 1860 who had had one son named Gus Ingersoll whose bio mother Anna Knox and had died in 1859:
1. Clara Knox-Kelley (1848-1870)who married had one daughter Otelia Kelley-Abbott before Clara died in 1870; and;
2. Helen Jane Knox-Gardner (1851-1925) who had at least five Gardner children.
3) Hellen Lyons-Coffeen (1830-1885) born in Indiana, who married Michael D Coffeen and had at least eight Coffeen children.
4) Jane Lyons-Kelley-Roberts (1835-1917) born in Indiana, who died in San Antonio, Bexar, Texas and is buried in Pleasanton Cemtery. She had at least 3 children born of her first marriage to Robert Payne Kelley (1823-1862). No known children born of her 2nd marriage, as he died before 1870.
5) Coleman H. "Coley" Lyons (March 1840/1841 to September 24, 1924) born in Homer, Champaign County, Illinois and 1st married to Sarah Mason Fountain (1849-1869) on August 4, 1868 in Pleasanton, Atascosa County, Texas and had one daughter Sarah Sallie Lyons b: 1869 before his first wife died (likely Sarah died at or shortly after child birth in 1869). He then married an Anna (last name may have been Knox) ca Jan 1870 who died before the 1900 census; and then he married to Maggie Burnside on January 1, 1901 in Bexar County, Texas. Coleman was elected to the position of Atasoca County Clerk in 1870. According to Civil War pension records found for a Coleman Lyons, he died on September 24, 1924 in Pleasanton, Texas (burial location Pleasanton cemetery, but have not found a Texas Death Certificate or county death record for him (as of Sept 2015).
2nd marriage for James Harvey Lyons was Elizabeth "Eliza" Jane Hodges whom he married ca 1845/1846. In the 1850 census James Harvey Lyons is listed as a Doctor living with his wife Eliza and their two daughters Eliza Jane "Lida" Lyons (1847-1921) and Lucy "Letitia" Lyons (1849-1925). Eliza Lyons married John Atkinson and had at least 9 known children; Lucy Lyons married Rufus R. Resseguie (Rufus predeceased Lucy in 1919, and Lucy died in 1925 Lamoni, Decatur, Iowa and her probate can be found in the Decatur, Iowa, Wills and Probate Records, 1758-1997 indexed for Lucy Lyons Resseguie). No children are mentioned in the probate (but rather sister, nieces, etc.), so it is assumed there were no children born to the union of Rufus & Lucy.
3rd marriage for a J. H. Lyons (James Harvey Lyons) (after his 2nd wife died in 1859) is found marrying an Isabella (Belle) Cotton on 31 Oct 1860 in Bexar County, Texas. After James Harvey Lyons died Belle remarried to widower Oscar Crawford and is buried with double headstone in Alamo Masonic Cemetery in San Antonio, Texas next to Oscar. Note: 1870 census James Harvey Lyons is found living with his 3rd wife Isabella (Belle) Cotton Lyons (shown as keeping house), a servant (Marietta), and a blacksmith living with him, still listed as Physician.
Doak aka Sandyhill aka Pleasanton City Cemetery (mentions Dr. James Harvey Lyons M.D. as being buried in Pleasanton Cemetery)
Pleasanton Cemetery - Atacosa County
Isabella Crawford (1839 - 1908)
Eliza Jane Hodges Lyons (1826 - 1856)*
Edwin Ray Lyons (1826 - 1911)*
Jane E. Lyons Roberts (1835 - 1917)*
Coleman H. Lyons (1840 - 1924)*
Eliza Jane Lyons Atkinson (1847 - 1921)*
Lucy Letitia Lyons Resseguie (1849 - 1925)*
Pleasanton City Cemetery
Created by: Lynda Lehmann-French
Record added: Aug 06, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 55989503
I am pretty SURE that this is the father of Barthenia Lyons-Knox Ingersoll, she was born KY. married in Champaign Illinois and 2 kids born there, and a brother Coleman Lyons age 10 lived with her in Homer.|
carole taylor puntenney
Added: Sep. 27, 2015
Rest in peace...|
Added: Aug. 9, 2010