|Death: ||Apr. 15, 1826|
The first of eight children born to Henry Sr and Catherine Elizabeth (Rudolph) Richard of Frederick Co VA, Benjamin married:
1) Mary Bowers 24 Jun 1809 Frederick Co VA; she died c1810.
2) Mary "Polly" Ann Gilham 28 Aug 1811 Frederick Co VA.
No known children with Mary Bowers.
Children with Polly:
1) Henry Clark Richard (1812-1897), m1: Evaline Byrum, m2: Eliza Beanblossom.
2) Catherine Richard (1813-1875), m1: Blewford Light, m2: Spier Spencer Bruce, m3: Benson B Riggs.
3) Mary "Polly" Ann Richard (1815-1902), m1: Alphonso Richardson, m2: George Beard.
4) Rachel Richard (1818-1863), m: Thomas Callahan.
5) Martha Ann Richard (1821-1843), m: Richard Rose.
6) Elijah Harrison "EH" Richard (1822-1910), m1: Hannah Current, m2: Elizabeth Jones.
7) James Harvey Richard (1823-1836), died young.
8) Elizabeth Richard (1825-1911), m: Henry Richardson.
About 1817 Benjamin moved his family from VA to near modern-day Crossroads, Harrison Co IN. Eventually they settled in Mauckport, Harrison Co IN.
1820 Census Heth Twp, Harrison Co IN
Genealogy Trails, Cemetery Inscriptions, Old Mount Zion United Brethren Cemetery (aka Crossroads), Heth Twp, Harrison Co IN:
Here lies the body of Benjamin Richard who departed this life April 15th in the year of our Lord 1826."
...and this Note:
"Benjamin Richard, a native of Frederick County, Virginia, first married Mary Bowers on 24 June 1809, in Frederick County, Virginia. After the death of his first wife, he married Mary Ann Gilham, on 28 Aug 1811, Frederick Co., Virginia. She was also born in Virginia. Benjamin migrated to Harrison County between 1816-1818."
A veteran of the War of 1812, Benjamin used his bounty certificates to buy land in a part of southern Indiana that later became known as Harrison Co IN.
Note: New data has confirmed Rachel L was most likely born Rachel Light and probably kin to Blewford Light. Rachel Light's husband was W.G. Norton and she is buried in Light Cemetery. Her tombstone reads "Rachel L wife of W.G. Norton."
Our Rachel Richard was married only to Thomas Callahan.
Benjamin is my 3rd paternal Gr-Grandfather.
Henry Richard (1753 - 1847)
Catherine Elizabeth Rudolph Richard (1759 - 1828)
Mary Ann Gilham Richard (1793 - 1883)*
Catherine Richard Riggs (1813 - 1875)*
Rachel L. Richard Callahan (1818 - 1863)*
Elijah Harrison Richard (1822 - 1910)*
Benjamin Richard (1785 - 1826)
Henry Richard (1789 - 1847)*
Old Mount Zion Cemetery
Created by: Bonnie's Daughter
Record added: Jul 29, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 55594631