|Birth: ||Feb. 6, 1842|
|Death: ||Nov. 18, 1934|
James Russell Cook, Jr was born to Col. James Russell Cook, Sr (who was shot/killed on May 30, 1843 when Jr was less than one year old) and Sarah Ann Lott-Cook (who later married Hartwell Coleman Fountain after James Russell Cook, Sr. died in 1843).
Col. James Russell Cook, Sr. predeceased Sarah Ann Lott-Cook and she later remarried to Hartwell Coleman Fountain. The two Cook son's (John Walter Cook and James Russell Cook, Jr were then raised by Hartwell Colement Fountain). Sarah Ann Lott-Cook-Fountain precedeceased Hartwell Coleman Fountain and he moved the family to Pleasanton after Sarah's death. Son, John Walter Cook sometimes used the last name of Fountain.
James Russell Cook, Jr. was born on February 6, 1842 in Washington-on-the Brazos, Washington County, Texas (where the LOTT and COOK families were early settlers).
Marriage #1: James was 1st married to Mary Virginia McDonald (who was born ca 1848 in Kentucky) on October 31, 1867 in Sutherland Springs, Wilson County, Texas and they had at least two children:
1. Sarah "Sallie" Eva Cook (1868-1859) who married Frederick Thiar Lyons. She was born and died in Pleasanton, Texas.
2. Bettie Lee Cook (1870-1871) who died just days before she turned 1 year old.
Note: Wife, Mary Virginia McDonald Cook reportedly died sometime between 1871 (after birth of 2nd child) and before James Russell Cook, Jr remarried in 1875. We suspect she is buried in Pleasanton Cemetery, but have not located an interment list or burial location (as of July 2010).
Marriage #2: James married Harriett Emmaline Walker on October 21, 1875 in Rapides Parish, Louisiana and they had at least the following children:
1) Coleman Cook (born August 14, 1876 in LA; no info on his life or death)
2) Stafford Hubert Cook born October 17, 1879; married Ludia Lorenz; died July 29, 1936 "Married" and a "Bookeeper" in Poteet, Atascosa, Texas and was buried in Pleasanton Cemetery on July 29, 1936.
3) James R. (Russell?) Cook born July 4, 1880
4) John Walter Cook born March 16, 1885 in Pleasanton, Atascosa County, Texas; married Katherine Amelia "Katie" Kinsey; he died a widower on December 9, 1928 of pneumonia at San Antonio (Bexas County, Tx) at the Medical and Surgical Hospital (he was a resident of Pleasanton, TX before being hospitalized).
James Russell Cook, Jr lived to be 92 years 9 months and 12 days old (died of senility)on November 18, 1934 as a
"widower" and was buried in Pleasanton Cemetery on November 19, 1934. His son Stafford Hubert Cook was informant on his Texas Death Certificate.
Findagrave volunteer has been unable to locate a headstone or proof of burial... If anyone comes across one in the future, please let me know and post it to his memorial. It may have been broken or lost.
James Russell Cook (1812 - 1843)
Harriet Emmaline Walker Cook (1844 - 1929)*
Stafford Hubert Cook (1879 - 1936)*
John Walter Cook (1839 - 1916)*
James Russell Cook (1842 - 1934)
Pleasanton City Cemetery
Created by: Lynda Lehmann-French
Record added: Jun 21, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 53939757