|Birth: ||Jun. 5, 1781|
New Hampshire, USA
|Death: ||Sep. 3, 1848|
Rev. Nathaniel Brown Dodge, Jr., s. of Nathaniel B. Dodge, Sr. and Tabitha Brown, was b. June 5, 1781 at Winchester, NH. He d. at Little Osage (Balltown), MO on Sept. 3, 1848, age 67. At the time of his death, Little Osage was part of Bates County, but since 1851 has been part of south adjoining Vernon County, MO.
On Mar. 22, 1803 at Barre, VT Rev. Dodge m. Sarah "Sally" Gale, dau. of Josiah Gale, Jr. and Elizabeth Rice, b. July 21, 1784 at Warweick, Mass. She d. Dec. 20, 1866 at Little Osage (Balltown) in Vernon County, MO, age 82.
Between 1813 and 1821 Rev. Dodge was pastor of the Underhill, VT Congregational Church. In the latter year he was appointed superintendant of the missionary family destined to erect Harmony Mission to the Osage Indians in Osage Indian Territory, located in what is now southern Bates County, MO. In 1823 Rev. Dodge's successor at the Underhill church was the memorialist's 3rd gr. grandfather.
An extended bio will be added later.
Rev. Dodge and Sarah "Sally" Gale had eleven children. The eight oldest were b. in Vermont prior to missionary service, the three youngest in Indian Territory. Their children were:
• i. Dr. Leonard Dodge, b. Jan. 14, 1805 at Barre, VT, d. testate Mar. 10, 1864 at Little Osage (Balltown), MO; m. Mar. 10, 1835 at Neosho Mission to the Osage Indians in Indian Territory (now Neosho County, KS), Mary Burton Choate, b. Jan. 31, 1804 at Thetford, VT. She d. at Little Osage (Balltown), MO on May 12, 1866. Three children of the family.
• ii. Philena Dodge, b. Aug. 31, 1806 at Barre, VT, d. before June 1880 prob. at Deerfield, Vernon County, MO; m. William Modrel circa 1826 (eldest child b. Oct 8. 1827 at Harmony Mission). Three known children of the family.
• iii. Nathaniel Brown Dodge, Jr., b. Oct. 30, 1808 at Montpelier, VT, d. Mar. 23, 1838 at Little Osage (Balltown), MO from wounds suffered during a skirmish with the Osage Indians in present-day Kansas; m. Feb. 6, 1834 at Harmony Mission, the widow Elvira (Goff) Perkins, b. Nov. 22, 1809 at New Hampshire and d. Nov. 25, 1860 at Vernon County, MO. Two child of the marriage, s. Cyrus Kingsley and dau. Philena, latter who d. young. Elvira m. 3) after August 1840, her widowed brother-in-law Thomas Humphrey Dickison, husb. of Elvira's deceased sister Myra Goff, latter by whom Thomas had seven children. Dickison had three children by his marriage with Elvira. He m. 3) May 14, 1862 at Vernon County, MO, Julian D. Bradshaw.
• iv. Sally Dodge, b. July 28, 1811 at Barre, VT, d. Nov. 4, 1901 at California; m. July 17, 1831 at Boudinot Mission to the Osage Indians in Indian Territory (now Kansas), Rev. Milton Morris, b. Feb. 15, 1807 at Knoxville, TN. He d. Feb. 4, 1891 at Napa County, CA. They had a large family.
• v. Jonathan Edwards Dodge, b. May 2, 1814 at Underhill, VT, d. Apr. 9, 1851 at Nevada City, CA while seeking his fortune in gold; m. Oct. 6, 1836 at Bates County, MO, Phebe Austin, dau. of Daniel Harmon Austin and Lydia Jane Hovey, b. May 12, 1818 at Barre, VT. She d. Sept. 2, 1891 at Prairie View, KS. Five children of the family.
• vi. Promise Spencer Dodge, b. June 13, 1816 at Underhill, VT; d. there as an infant June 20, 1816.
• vii. Samuel Newell Dodge, b. Dec. 14, 1817 at Underhill, VT; d. unmarried May 9, 1873 at Vernon County, MO.
• viii. Thomas Spencer Dodge, b. Dec. 23, 1819 at Underhill, VT; d. in infancy Nov. 10, 1821 at Harmony Mission in Osage Indian Territory.
• ix. Martin Luther Dodge, b. Nov. 21, 1823 at Harmony Mission in Osage Indian Territory; d. there in infancy June 4, 1824.
• x. Thomas Scott Dodge, b. June 15, 1825 at Harmony Mission, d. before June 1900 at Dayton, WA; m. before 1846, Myra Harbert, b. Jan. 14, 1824 at Ohio and d. before June 1900 at Washugal, WA. Five known children of the family.
• xi. Harriet Newel Dodge, b. Oct. 14, 1827 at Boudinot Mission to the Osage Indians, at present-day Kansas, d. before June 1900; m. 1) Oct. 28, 1847 Gilbert A. Hamilton by whom she had one child, son William Spencer Hamilton, b. Sept. 1, 1848; m. 2) Apr. 6, 1856 at Bates County, MO, Anson Dickison, s. of Thomas Humphrey Dickison and Myra Goff, b. Mar. 4, 1832 at Ohio. He d. after June 1900. Seven children of the family.
Sarah Gale Dodge (1784 - 1866)
Sarah Dodge Morris (1811 - 1901)*
Jonathan Edwards Dodge (1814 - 1851)*
In Memory of
Revd. Nathaniel B. Dodge.
Who Departed this life
Sep. 3. A.D. 1848.
67 yrs 2 mos & 29 days.
[five lines of verse]
Created by: Don Blauvelt
Record added: Jun 13, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 53656528
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.