|Birth: ||Mar. 31, 1766|
North Carolina, USA
|Death: ||Mar. 22, 1838|
Susannah SIMMONS was the daughter of John and Mary Mollie SIMMONS. She was born in NC on 31 March 1766. She married Laban SMART, son of Peter and Sarah SMART, in NC ca 1782. Per the DAR Patriot Index, he was born on 9 Nov 1758 in Bute Co, NC. He died in Troy, Madison Co, IL on 28 March 1840 and is buried in Hagler Cemetery in Troy, Madison Co, IL
Laban served as a soldier during the Revolutionary War under General Morgan in the memorable Battle of Cowpens. His brother Amos died in the Army with camp fever soon after this battle. According to the History of Madison Co, IL, it was said that they were fighting side by side when Amos was wounded, and when Laban stopped to assist him, he was told to continue on with the fight and not to stop, that Amos would be all right and for him not to be alarmed. Per his Revolution War Pension records, Laban enlisted in the Spring of 1780 under Captain William Brickle and served under Colonels Allen, Session and Kinyon at the age of 22 years. He enlisted again in 1781, serving under Captain Jones and Colonel Linton and drew a pension in 1832, which he applied for at age 74 years.
Susannah and Laban lived in Hillsborough Dist, Chatham Co, NC during the 1790 and 1800 Federal Censuses. Laban inherited under the will of his sister Selah Smart which is dated 1806 in Chatham Co, NC. She left to her brother Laban 4 young Negroes. He was also the executor of her will. Susannah's sister, Polly Boon, wife of Raiford Boon, was one of the witnesses to the will. Around 1806 the family moved to TN where they lived for about a year prior to relocating to KY. They were on the 1810 Warren Co, KY census. By 1816 they had settled in Madison Co, IL in Section 1, township 3, range 7 of Jarvis township. The SMART family was one of the first settlers in this part of Madison County, IL. They were listed in the 1818 IL state census. Susannah and Laban remained here until their deaths.
Susannah and Laban SMART had 10 children:
1. Alsey W. was born in NC on 1 Jan 1783
2. Martha was born in NC on 13 May 1786 and died 8 Mar 1849 in Madison Co, IL. She married Isham VINCENT in NC ca 1805. Both are buried in the Vincent Cemetery in Madison Co, IL
3. Wiley was born in NC in 1789. He died in Madison Co, IL in Nov 1855. His first marriage was in Warren Co, KY on 4 April 1813 to Seraphy Temperence TAYLOR. His second marriage was in Madison Co, IL on 23 July to Elizabeth HIGNIGHT.
4. Katherine was married in Warren Co, KY on 31 July 1811 to Thomas BURCHFIELD.
5. Margaret Elizabeth was born in Franklin Co, NC. She married Harden "Hardy" WARREN.
6. Peter was born in NC on 4 Apr 1796 and died in Putnam Co, MO in Aug 1872. He was married in Madison Co, IL on 3 June 1824 to Lydia E. CLEVELAND.
7. Cynthia was born in NC on 4 Sept 1798 and died in Madison Co, IL on 4 Feb 1873. She was married in Warren Co, KY on 29 Sept 1814 to James A. KEOWN.
8. Henry Branson was born in Chatham Co, NC on 25 Aug 1800 and died in Madison Co, IL on 23 Jan 1882. He married in Madison Co, IL on 30 Nov 1826 to Sally THOMPSON.
9. Jenny Jane "Jincy" was married on 9 Mar 1818 to Richard KINGSTON.
10. Barbara "Barbary" was born in NC ca 1803. Her first marriage was in Madison Co, IL on 16 July 1818 to William BURTON. Her second marriage was in Madison Co, IL on 25 Sept 1826 to Andrew HOLMAN. Her third marriage was in Madison Co, IL on 14 Mar 1836 to John McKEE.
Susannah SIMMONS SMART died in Troy, Madison Co, IL on 22 Mar 1838 and is buried next to Laban in Hagler Cemetery, Madison Co, IL.
Laban Smart (1758 - 1840)
Margaret Elizabeth Smart Warren (____ - 1836)*
Martha Smart Vincent (1776 - 1849)*
Created by: Marla
Record added: May 20, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 52612236
I am a fifth generation grand daughter. Glad that I found your resting place. God Bless You. firstname.lastname@example.org|
Maryann Salee Cummins
Added: Aug. 31, 2012