|Death: ||Mar. 20, 1852|
Originally Created by Becky Doan
Born c. 1775. First Wife: Margaret Crawford. Later Married to Susan Howee.
This is paraphrased from the book by Minnie Kendall Lowther,"The History of Ritchie County" written in 1910, readable online.
William Layfield's father James Layfield came to Virginia (now WV) and settled on the west bank of the Potomac River at Moorefield, now West Virginia, where his son William was born. In the book by Minnie Lowther, "The History of Ritchie County", she tells that when William was just a "lad" his family was captured by Indians. William and his brother were being chased by the Indians when a terrible storm came. They both sought safety under a tree. The terrible winds of the storm tore the tree out of the ground. William escaped, but never saw his brother or family again.
William and Margaret Crawford were the parents of seven children. Their first son John was born where William settled on what became the S. H. Westfall farm, as the first settler on the south fork of the Hughes River, above Smithfield,in the wilderness, per Minnie Lowther.
A few years later they moved to what became known as "Layfield's Run", a tributary on Goose Creek. They lived there with their family. Margaret Crawford Layfield died and is buried in the area. There is family lore that stones were piled on her grave. Margaret was said to have lovely shining blonde hair, and family was fearful she would be scalped if a marker existed.
William Layfield and Margaret Crawford Layfield's children:
1. John Jackson Layfield Sr.: b Feb 4, 1803 - d Mar 5, 1877 Ritchie County, West Virginia. Married Elizabeth Moats. Both Layfields Cemetery, Ritchie County, West Virginia.
2. David Layfield: b 1810 - d 1877. Burial unknown.
3. Mary Ann Layfield: b 1814 West Virginia - d Aug 25, 1872 Married Augustus Crane, a farmer. Augustus Crane: b 1806 Connecticutt - d September 17, 1879 Kilbourn, Van Buren County, Iowa. Both Kilbourn Cemtery, Kilbourn, Van Buren County, Iowa. Their children: Augustus, Sherman, Charles, Angenora, Clarissa, Lydia.
4. Sanford Layfield (Nov 18, 1816 - Jan 30, 1892)lived in Ritchie Co., WV, burial unknown.
Later William Layfield married Susan Howee (Howey on headstone), widow of John Douglass of Scotland. William and Susan Layfield are buried in Egypt Cemetery, Cairo, Ritchie County, West Virginia.
William and Susan Howee Layfield had three children:
1. James Layfield (b 1818)
2. Ellison Layfield (b 1820)
3. William Layfield (b 1824)
Susan Howee Layfield (1770 - 1845)
Margaret Crawford Layfield (1780 - 1826)*
John Jackson Layfield (1803 - 1877)*
Mary Ann Layfield Crane (1815 - 1872)*
Cairo IOOF Cemetery
West Virginia, USA
Maintained by: skyquest
Originally Created by: Becky Doan
Record added: Apr 14, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 51092884
In Memory Of My Gr.Gr.Gr.Gr.Grandfather. Robert J. Davies. Eldest Son of Robert & Edith Layfield Davies.|
Added: Sep. 4, 2014
Lest we Forget|
Cherry Reynolds Solly
Added: Jul. 28, 2014
Remembering my 4th Great Grandfather|
Added: Jul. 24, 2013
|There are 4 more notes not showing...|
Click here to view all notes...