|Birth: ||Nov. 17, 1730|
Ellis-3 was the son of Ebenezer-2 Russell (1688-1761) and his wife 2) Deborah Hibbard.
RUSSELL siblings: Deborah, Ebenezer, Samuel, Nathan, William, Stephen, and [Self].
Ellis Russell married Jane Catherine Wolcott [DWR, pg. 37] in Windsor, CT on 11/14/1751. She was born on 2/22/1733, the daughter of Thomas Wolcott and his wife Catherine Loomis, in Toland, CT. Some of their children's births were recorded in Windsor, CT. [DWR, pgs. 37-40]
10 RUSSELL children:
1. Stephen Russell (11/9/1752-5/23/1783); see death date on headstone); m. XX. Private in Captain Gideon Burt's Company of Springfield, MA, 3 months service. Originally buried in old Springfield Village Cemetery at foot of Elm Street near the CT River. ALL bodies reinterred in Springfield Cemetery on Pine Street section, along with Ellis' sons Archelaus, age 13, and this Stephen, age 31. Stephen drowned while trying to save his brother Arehelaus.
2. Mary (Russell) Warner (11/20/1754-4/21/1846) born in Ellington Parish, Windsor, CT, died at son Warham/Wareham Warner's home in Albion, Calhoun, MI, buried in Riverside Cemetery, Albion, MI; intentions to marry published in Conway, MA on 1/9/1779; m. David Calvin Warner [Sr.] of Pittsfield Equivalent. He was born in Longmeadow, MA, on 7/12/1758, died in Walworth, Wayne, NY on 4/16/1831, buried in Central (Baker) Cemetery in Walworth, NY. 13 children. [DWR, pg. 39]
3. Miriam Russell B-2/1/1757. No further records found.
4. Abner Russell B-3/22/1759 in Ellington Parish, Windsor, CT. He died on 6/25/1819 at Springfield, Hampden County, CT; m. Mary Wardell B-6/5/1760 at Somers, CT, died in August, 5 or 8/1826 died at Springfield, MA, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Osborne) Wardell. Abner was a Revolutionary War soldier from Springfield as a Private, served as a "Minuteman" on the Lexington Alarm, 4/20/1775 in Major Andrew Colton's Company... 8 children. [DWR, pg. 74]
5. Roxy/Roxa Russell B-4/27/1762, died of typhus fever (no date or place of death given); m. Calvin Stephenson of Longmedow, MA. Settled at Phelps, Ontario, NY. 11 children. [DWR, pg. X]
6. Wolcott Russell B-8/17/1766, baptized in Ellington, CT on 8/17/1766, died ?1822.
7. Arehelaus Russell (~1770-5/23/1783) (see date of death on headstone), drowned at Springfield on 5/23/1783 at age 13. His brother, Stephen, age 31, also drowned while trying to save Arehelaus.
8. Lucinda/Lucy Russell B-5/14/1773 in Springfield, MA, baptized 9/12/1773, died 9/10/1863; m. intention recorded in Springfield, MA on 1/3/1792, Daniel Warriner, both of Springfield. Daniel B-11/9/1763 in Springfield, MA, died there on 3/16/1804. 4 children, born in Springfield, MA.
9. Oliver Russell B-5/9/1777 in Springfield, MA, may have died in 1841.
10. Roswell Russell B-11/24/1778 in Springfield, MA; baptized 6/20/1779 in Springfield First Church, Springfield, MA, died 11/19/1822 in Springfield, MA.
Links: children of Ellis and Catherine were:
Stephen Russell #36605964
Archelaus Russell #36605963
Ellis Russell and Jane Catherine Wolcott married in Windsor, CT, perhaps moved to Hadley MA, and were then in Springfield, MA by 1773. He purchased land to the south of Pecousic Brook which runs from East Longmeadow, passes near the present Franconia Golf Course in Longmeadow, MA, and then into Springfield's Forest Park. This land was initially in Springfield but became part of Longmeadow in 1783. By 1801 he lived on Long Hill in Springfield, but his whereabouts have not been determined after 1804 (age 74). "There is no further record of Ellis and Jane in MA. They may have accompanied son Oliver, when he moved circa 1804 to Phelps, Ontario, NY." He seems to have been a landowner but not necessarily a farmer.
Primary source: "Descendants of William Russell of Salem, Mass, 1674," [DWR], by George Ely Russell, pub. 1989, 200 copies printed; pgs. 37-40. [George Ely Russell: Memorial #103691765.]
Research in book above: Mary E. Warner, 2013.
RUSSELL lineage: Ellis-3 Russell and Jane Catherine Wolcott, Ebenezer-2 Russell and Deborah Hibbard; William-1 Russell and Elizabeth Nurse [Elizabeth: daughter of Rebecca (Towne) Nurse of the Salem, MA, Witch trial.]
Ebenezer Russell (1688 - 1761)
Deborah Hibbard Russell
Jane Catherine Wolcott Russell (1733 - ____)*
Mary Russell Warner (1754 - 1846)*
Abner Russell (1759 - 1819)*
Roxanna Russell Stephenson (1762 - ____)*
Wolcott Russell (1766 - 1820)*
Lucinda Russell Warriner (1773 - 1863)*
Oliver Wolcott Russell (1777 - 1841)*
Roswell Russell (1778 - 1822)*
Maintained by: Mary E. Warner
Originally Created by: Ed Poulin
Record added: Apr 04, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 50647693