|Birth: ||Mar. 8, 1793|
|Death: ||Sep. 24, 1876|
John Owens, who was born at Conway, Wales, March 8, 1793, and who, when he was six weeks old was brought to America by his parents, who stopped for a time in New York and then settled in Cincinnati, where they lived until 1838, when they came to Davenport, Iowa. John Owens became a shoemaker and worked in the east until the beginning of the war of 1812, during which he served his adopted county as a private soldier. After the war he made the journey on foot over the Alleghenies to Cincinnati, where in 1816 he again took to his trade. Later he married Mrs. Eunice (Kent) Meeker, a native of New Jersey and a descendant of Anneke Jans, who bore him four sons and four daughters
**Research was done by the Archive Section for Conwy County Borough Council , Wales (Susan Ellis, Researcher) and the following information was located:
Regarding family history details, I have checked your information against the Conway Parish Registers and can confirm:
1. Owen the son of John Owen, shoemaker and Anne his wife was baptised 29 August 1789.
2. Jane the daughter of JO and A as above was baptised 13 June 1791.
3. John the son of JO and A as above was baptised 2 April 1793.
4. Marriage Banns of John Owen of Llansantffraid Glan Conwy and Ann Williams of Conway were published on 19 and 26 October and 2 November, and they were married on 5 November 1788.
5. Having discovered John's parish of origin I then checked Llansantffraid Glan Conwy Parish Registers for his baptism in 1766 but without result.
6. Also checked as above for baptism of Owen Owen in 1747, also without result.
John Owens (1766 - 1836)
Anne Williams Owens (1757 - 1842)
Eunice Kent Owens (1793 - 1884)*
Rhoda Ann Owens Inslee (1824 - 1884)*
James Fishback Owens (1829 - 1901)*
Owen Thomas Owens (1789 - 1862)*
Jane Owens (1791 - ____)*
John Owens (1793 - 1876)
Oakdale Memorial Gardens
Created by: Chaun Owens-Mortier
Record added: Apr 02, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 50561501