|Birth: ||May 5, 1870|
|Death: ||Mar. 28, 1939|
Isaac Marvin Wright, known as Marvin by most family and friends and Papa by his children, was the 6th son of Isaac Edward Wright and his wife Martha Ellen Henderson. The family lived in Burke, Angelina County, Texas except for the year of 1870 when Rev. Isaac Edward Wright pastored Holly Grove Methodist Church in Vernon Parish, Louisiana. Marvin was born during that time away from Texas.
Marvin's father passed away on January 20, 1873, a few months short of his 38th birthday. Martha, his young widow, went through extremely difficult times, losing their twelve year old son Robert Henry Wright on October 15, 1873, only nine months after Isaac died. Sons John Wesley Wright and James Wright each died in 1883.
Martha became very poor without Isaac to provide for them but somehow she kept her family intact through the years and the children grew to adulthood. She was a devout Christian woman and taught her boys to be honest and to have character and raised them in the faith. The three sons who lived to adulthood married, had families, and worked hard (mostly at farming). Marvin answered the call upon his life to be a minister, as had his Father. He became a Methodist-Episcopal Minister.
Dick Wright and Marvin Wright courted their first cousins, Cynthia Sarah Wright and Bessie Wright, who were living in Sabine County with their grandmother Mary Ann Jackson (Carter) Gary, who raised them from childhood after her daughter, their mother Cynthia Elvira Wright died in 1888. Cynthia Sarah Wright's father, John Wesley Wright, had preceded Cynthia Elvira in death on June 10, 1884.
Marvin Wright fell in love with 16 year old Bessie Lynn Wright and they married Jan 8, 1895. On December 26, 1895, Dick Wright eloped with 14 year old Cynthia Sarah Wright riding with him on the horse, heading back to Burke, Texas. Rev. Marvin Wright conducted their marriage ceremony. Grandma Mary Loggins was upset with the two couples for about two years for marrying so young. By then Bessie had her first baby and Grandma Loggins relented.
Marvin and Bessie were happy with their growing family. Marvin preached and farmed to provide for them. Two of their children died from illness through the years. They remained a loving Christian family. On December 17, 1913, Bessie Lynn gave birth to their ninth baby, Elma Bessie Wright. A month later, while hanging clothes outside on the line to dry, Bessie started hemorraghing and died soon after. Marvin buried his beloved wife in Wood Cemetery, San Augustine County, Texas.
Marvin Wright spent the next few years caring for his children, working his farm and slowly recovering from the death of Bessie. About 4 years later he met Martha Augusta Palmore, who came to Texas from Mississippi to visit her brother. She was a one-room school teacher from Montgomery County, Mississippi. She taught the first thru 7th grades; She also taught at home at Pine Bluff and then substituted some for about two years.
Papa didn't marry Gussie (as Martha Augusta Palmore was known) immediately and she went back to Mississippi. One day her brother told him if he was ever going to do anythng about it he needed to get busy. Marvin and Gus were married on her birthday, September 22, 1918.
Although Gus converted in the Primitive Baptist Church in 1906, she changed to Methodist in 1919 after marrying Marvin, a Methodist-Episcopal minister. After Papa died, she changed to the Nazarene Church which was close to her home.
Marvin and Gussie left the east Texas area and headed west. They went far west and worked on various ranches and farms. They even worked on the Goodnight Ranch. Some children were born before they left Angelina County. One child, Lona May, was born in Graham County, Texas; another was born in Kent County. Another child was born in Stonewall County, and then it was back to Kent County for the birth of another. Their last two children were born in Lipan, Hood County, Texas. For the most part, the chldren of Marvin and Gus considered Lipan, Texas, their home. It is where they were living when the oldest child, Lula Florence (known as Florence) died; and is where they were living when Papa died. It is the location of Evergreen Cemetery where Papa and Gus are buried along with three of their children and a grandson.
In addition to farming, Marvin - Papa to our parents and us - was a circuit rider preacher. There wasn't any money in either one and times were hard. Papa's younger set of children (by Gus) tell of barely enough food to eat and always having to give the best food to the older ones. Times got really tough for the younger children after Papa died. Gus and the young children moved to Stephenville where those old enough got jobs. The boys joined various branches of the military and sent money home.
Isaac Marvin Wright and Bessie Lynn Wright's children:
1. Lydia Ann Jeannette Wright: b. Jan 2, 1896 Angelina Co, TX; d. Jun 24, 1977, TX. She married Ben Knight. Ben Knight burial unknown. Lydia Knight buried Centerview Cemetery, Pineland, Sabine County, TX.
2. George Salem Wright: b. Jan 20, 1898, TX; d. Feb 8, 1899 TX. Infant.
3. James Jody Wright: b. Jan 11, 1900, TX; d. July 7, 1941, TX. Truck driver, died in accident. He married Alma Ruth Brazile, b. Dec 12, 1903; d. Jan 26, 1992. Both Centerview Cemetery, Pineland, Sabine Co, TX.
4. Henry Douglas Wright: b. May 12, 1902, TX; d. Oct 15, 1903, TX. Infant.
5. Cynthia Irenia Wright: Feb 21, 1904, TX; d. June 8, 1905. Infant.
6. Martha Ella Wright: Jul 17, 1906 - Apr 9, 1963. Brookside Cemetery, Houston, Harris Co, TX. Married (1) Vernon Howell. Vernon died, burial unknown. Married (2) Carl Snethen.
7. Robert Dickerson "Dick" Wright: May 22, 1908 TX - Jul 17, 1993, Spur, Dickens Co, TX. Married Ethel Lea Haynie. She is still living as of March 10, 2013.
8. Etta Mae Wright: Apr 7, 1911 Sabine Co, TX - Jun 4, 1991; Sabine Co, TX. Married first cousin Lafayette Wright Sr. b. Aug 10, 1903, Sabine Co, TX; d. Aug 16, 1977 Jasper, Jasper Co, TX. Both Wood Cemetery, San Augustine Co, TX.
9. Elma Bessie Wright: b. Dec 17, 1913, Sabine Co, TX; d. Aug 22, 1980 Orange Co, TX. Elma Bessie Wright married (1) Lovice Thomas Dillashaw, b. June 6, 1910, Gainesville, TX; d. Sep 5, 1973, Galveston, Galveston Co, TX. Buried Centerview Cemetery, Pineland, Sabine Co., TX. She married (2) Married Robert "Bob" Vaughn. Robert and Bessie Vaughn both buried in Claybar Hillcrest Memorial Gardens, Orange, Orange Co, TX.
Marvin Wright and Martha Augusta (Palmore) Wright's children:
10. LuLu Florence Wright: Jan 16, 1920 TX - Mar 6, 1934 TX. Evergreen Cemetery, Lipan, Hood Co, TX. Died from pneumonia.
11. Norma Lucile Wright: Oct 15, 1921 Lufkin, Angelina Co, TX - Dec 3, 2001 TX. Evergreen Cemetery, Lipan, Hood Co, TX. Married Joseph Henry Kilgore Jr., b. March 31, 1914, Fort Worth, Texas; d. February 26, 2002, Bedford, Texas, buried Greenwood cemetery, Fort Worth, Texas.
12. Lona May Wright: Sep 13, 1923 TX - 2008 TX. Married Rex O. Nelms. Both Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Fort Worth, Tarrant Co, TX.
13. Isaac Marvin Wright Jr: Jan 23, 1925 Hood Co, TX - Jul 16, 1992 Albuquerque, Bernalillo Co, NM. Married Peggy Nell Farless. Peggy Farless: b Feb 14, 1930 - d Nov 30, 1996 Albuquerque, Bernalillo Co, NM. Both Sunset Memorial Park, Albuquerque, Bernalillo Co, NM. Inscription: OEM US Navy, WWII, Korea, Vietnam.
14. John Allen Wright: Nov 14, 1926 TX Kent Co., TX - Jan 13, 1927 Kent Co, TX. Jayton Cemetery, Kent Co, TX. Infant.
15. Dewitt Clinton "D.C." Wright: May 5, 1928 Stonewall Co, TX - May 1, 2007 Stephenville, Erath Co, TX. Married Letha Fern Gaither. Letha Fern Gaither: Aug 27, 1930 Erath Co, TX - Nov 26, 1996 Fort Worth, Tarrant Co, TX. Both Erath Gardens Of Memory Cemetery, Erath Co, TX.
16. Christopher Columbus Wright: Apr 12, 1930 Kent Co, TX - Jan 13, 1996 Fort Mill, York Co, SC. Evergreen Cemetery, Lipan, Hood Co. TX. US Marine. Married Billie Leatherman.
17. Thomas Jefferson Wright: Nov 13, 1932 Lipan, Hood Co, TX - Jul 7, 2010 Providence, Webster Co, KY. St. Peters Cemetery, Waverly, Union Co, KY.
18. Charles Wesley Wright: Mar 20, 1935 Lipan, Hood Co, TX - Mar 1, 1996 Coryell Co, TX. Inscription: MSGT US ARMY Korea Vietnam. Copperas Cove Cemetery, Coryell Co, TX. Marr Glynda Lee Johnson of Hico, Texas.
Isaac Edward Wright (1836 - 1873)
Martha Ellen Henderson Wright (1838 - 1900)
Bessie Lynn Wright Wright (1878 - 1914)*
Martha Augusta Palmore Wright (1892 - 1987)*
Lydia Ann Wright Knight (1896 - 1977)*
James Jodie Wright (1900 - 1941)*
Martha Ella Wright Snethen (1906 - 1963)*
Robert "Dick" Wright (1908 - 1993)*
Etta Mae Wright Wright (1911 - 1991)*
Elma Bessie Wright Vaughn (1913 - 1980)*
Lula Florence Wright (1920 - 1934)*
Norma Lucile Wright Kilgore (1921 - 2001)*
Norma Lucile Wright Kilgore (1921 - 2001)*
Lona Mae Wright Nelms (1923 - 2008)*
Isaac Marvin Wright (1925 - 1992)*
John Allen Wright (1926 - 1927)*
Dewitt Clinton Wright (1928 - 2007)*
Christopher Columbus Wright (1930 - 1996)*
Thomas Jefferson Wright (1932 - 2010)*
Charles Wesley Wright (1935 - 1996)*
Robert Henry Wright (1861 - 1873)*
Napoleon Columbus Wright (1862 - 1931)*
Francis Asbury Wright (1867 - 1943)*
Isaac Marvin Wright (1870 - 1939)
Maintained by: Dorthy Kilgore Casten
Originally Created by: Valesca McMillian
Record added: Mar 09, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 49458370
Added: Feb. 13, 2013
My grandmother, Martha Augusta Palmore Wright, always said that Papa's mother said that the date written down in the family Bible was incorrect, that he was born in April, not May.|
Dorthy Kilgore Casten
Added: Jul. 21, 2012
Most of the history on this page is about Isaac Marvin Wright's father, Isaac Edward Wright.|
Dorthy Kilgore Casten
Added: Jul. 1, 2012
|There are 2 more notes not showing...|
Click here to view all notes...