Deborah Howland, dau. of Arthur Howland and his wife Margaret, b. circa 1630 either at Plymouth or Marshfield, Mass. One source claims she d. at Dartmouth, Mass. Oct. 16, 1665, but no primary record can be located to confirm this date. She did, however, die before the middle of 1666 when her husband married his second wife. Deborah is assumed to be interred at the Smith Family Burial Ground at Dartmouth, Mass.
On Jan. 4, 1648/9 at Plymouth, Mass., Deborah m. John Smith, called John Smith, Jr. in the Plymouth records for being the younger of two unrelated John Smiths that resided at Plymouth at the same time. They had the following four children b. of record at Plymouth, Mass.:
• i. Hasadiah Smith, b. Jan. 11, 1649/50, d. at Dartmouth, Mass. Dec. 15, 1723, Æ 74; m. Feb. 5, 1678/9 at Dartmouth, Jonathan Russell, s. of John & Dorothy Russell, b. circa 1648 at Marshfield, Mass. He d. at Dartmouth Dec. 5, 1727. Five children of the family.
• ii. John Smith, Jr., b. Oct. 1, 1651, d. after Mar. 15, 1692, but there is no known record of marriage or children.
• iii. Eleazer Smith, b. Apr. 20, 1654, d. testate before July 4, 1733; m. Aug. 12, 1680 at Dartmouth, Mass., Ruth Sprague, dau. of John Sprague & Ruth Bassett, b. Feb. 12, 1658/9 at Marshfield, Mass. She d. after July 4, 1733. Seven children of the family.
• iv. Hezekiah Smith, b. Nov. 28, 1655, d. testate Feb. 28, 1726/7 at Dartmouth, Mass., Æ 72; m. circa 1681 an unknown Mary, who d. at Dartmouth in 1737. Eleven children of the family.
All four of the above children were left legacies in the July 4, 1674 will of their maternal grandfather, Arthur Howland of Marshfield, Mass.:
• Item. I give and bequeath unto my grandchild Amadiah [sic, Hasadiah] Smith the full sum of five pounds to be paid by the friends, executors, administrators and assigns of my dear wife Mary Howland immediately after her decease.
• Item. I give and bequeath unto the three brothers of the said Amadiah (sic) the sum of five pounds to be equally divided among them.
Deborah Howland and John Smith had no son named Josiah (alternately called Joseph), as claimed by the Kirby Genealogy (1898). The Josiah Smith b. of record at Plymouth, MA April 16, 1652 to "John Smith" was not Deborah and John's son. See Robert S. Wakefield and Robert M. Sherman: "Arthur Howland of Plymouth, Mass., 1640, His Wife Margaret (--) Walker, and Their Children" (NGSQ, 71:86).
Arthur Howland (1600 - 1675)
John Smith (1619 - 1692)*
Eleazer Smith (1654 - 1733)*
Mary Howland Williamson (____ - 1690)*
Deborah Howland Smith (1630 - 1666)
Elizabeth Howland Low (1635 - ____)*
As Deborah was a member of the Dartmouth, Mass. Society of Friends, she has no gravestone.
Smith Family Cemetery
Created by: Don Blauvelt
Record added: Mar 07, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 49388519
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.