Nov. 17, 1619 Cossington Charnwood Borough Leicestershire, England
1676 Hartford Hartford County Connecticut, USA
Lieut. Robert Webster, bapt. Nov. 17, 1619 at Cossington, Leicestershire, England, the 5th child and 4th son of Gov. John Webster and Agnes Smith. He d. testate at Hartford, Conn. betw. May 20, 1676, the date of his will, and June 29, 1676 when his estate inventory was taken.
On Nov. 10, 1653 probably at Wethersfield, Conn., Robert m. Susanna Treat, bapt. Oct. 8, 1629 at St. Andrew & St. Mary Chh. at Pitminster, Somersetshire, England, dau. of Ens. Richard Treat and Alice Gaylord. Susanna d. testate (will dated Jan. 20, 1698/9) prior to Nov. 7, 1705 when her will was proved. The inventory of her estate was made Nov. 19, 1705.
"At a General Court of Elections held 18th May, 1654, Robert Webster was confirmed as a Leiftenant [at] Middletown for the ensuing year, according to the motyon of the Towne." [Middletown TR]
Notwithstanding the record of his eldest four children either being b. or at least recorded as b. at Middletown, Conn., Robert was a member of the Hartford 1st Chh. and separated from that Chh. as the fourth man to sign the 1669 Chh. covenant in full communion upon the founding of the Hartford 2nd Chh. Yet, none of his children appear in the baptism records of either the Hartford 1st or 2nd Church.
Robert and Susanna had eleven children; only the four oldest appear in the Middletown vital records:
• i. John Webster, b. Nov. 10, 1653 at Middletown, Conn., d. testate Dec. 6, 1694 at Hartford, Conn.; m. by 1678, Sarah Mygatt, dau. of Jacob Mygatt and Sarah Whiting. Seven children of the family. The widow Sarah m. 2) Nov. 20, 1698 at Hartford as his 2nd wife, Lieut. Benjamin Graham, by whom she had two more children and survived him. Lieut. Graham m. 1) Abigail Humphrey, dau. of Michael Humphrey and Priscilla Grant, by whom he had five children. Abigail (Humphrey) Graham d. June 27, 1697 at Hartford. Lieut. Graham d. testate at Hartford betw. Feb. 4 (date of his will) and Feb. 15, 1724/5 when his estate inventory was taken.
• ii. Sarah Webster, b. June 30, 1655 at Middletown; m. Nov. 15, 1677 at the Hartford 1st Church, Joseph Mygatt, brother of Sarah's brother John's wife. They had nine children of whom seven survived beyond infancy. Joseph d. testate in 1698 at Hartford. The widow Sarah m. 2) Dec. 13, 1722 at Hartford, Bevel Waters, who died testate at Hartford before Mar. 13, 1729/30, the date his inventory was taken. The widow Sarah (Webster)(Mygatt) Waters died testate before Mar. 6, 1743/4 when the inventory of her estate was made.
• iii. Dea. Jonathan Webster, b. Jan. 9, 1656/7 at Middletown, d. testate at Hartford before July 23, 1735 when his estate inventory was made; m. 1) May 11, 1681 at Hartford, Dorcas Hopkins, dau. of Stephen Hopkins and Dorcas Bronson. She d. circa 1695 at Hartford. Six children of the marriage. He m. 2) Jan 2, 1695/6 at Hartford, Mary Judd of Farmington, CT by whom he had one child, s. Benjamin in 1698.
• iv. Susannah Webster, b. Feb. 26, 1657/8 at Middletown, d. in 1688; m. May 11, 1681 at Hartford as his 1st wife, John Graves, by whom she had two children, daus. Elizabeth and Mehitable.
• v. Lieut. Samuel Webster, b. circa 1660, d. testate Feb. 1, 1743/4 at Hartford; m. at an unknown date, Elizabeth Reeve (q.v. Reave), dau. of Robert Reeve and Elizabeth Nott, b. in Dec. 1666 at Hartford. She d. testate before Dec. 3, 1745, the date her estate inventory was made. There are no known children of the marriage.
• vi. Robert Webster, Jr., Esq., b. circa 1662, d. testate at Hartford before Oct. 8, 1744, the date his estate inventory was made. He m. 1) Sept. 10, 1689 at Hartford, Hannah Beckley, dau. of John Beckley and Hannah Deming of the Beckley Quarter at Wethersfield, b. circa 1670 at Wethersfield, Conn. She d. circa 1715. Eight children of the marriage. Robert m. 2) circa 1718, Sarah Edwards, dau. of Joseph Edwards of Wethersfield, and widow of Sgt. Jonathan Colfax (q.v. Colefax). She had five children by her 1st husband, and d. Feb. 15, 1724/5 at Hartford. There were no children of her marriage to Robert Webster. He m. 3) July 30, 1731 at Hartford, Susanna Baker, dau. of John Baker and Lydia Baysey, who d. before Jan. 6, 1746/7 when letters of admin. were granted to her bro. William Baker.
• vii. Joseph Webster, b. circa 1664, d. testate betw. Mar. 3 and May 2, 1750 at Hartford; m. 1) Jan. 23, 1695/6, Mary Judd, by whom he had two children; m. 2) May 11, 1726 at Hartford, Hannah Willet, dau. of Nathaniel Willet and Hannah Adams, and wid. of Bayse Baker. She was b. circa 1672. She had eleven children by her 1st husb. and none by Joseph Webster.
• viii. Benjamin Webster, b. May 1, 1670, who perhaps d. young.
• ix. Ens. William Webster, b. July 2, 1671 at Hartford, d. intestate in June 1722 at Hartford, Conn.; m. Nov. 28, 1700 at Hartford, Sarah Nichols, b. circa 1678 at Hartford, dau. of Capt. Cyprian Nichols and his wife Mary. Nine children of the family. The widow Sarah m. 2) May 13, 1725 at Hartford as his 2nd wife, Samuel Catlin, by whom she had no children, and d. Dec. 12, 1762 at Wintonbury Parish at Hartford County (now Bloomfield, Conn.)
• x. Elizabeth Webster, b. Feb. 8, 1672/3 at Hartford, d. May 15, 1754 at Hartford; m. Dec. 19, 1693 at Hartford, John Seymour, Jr., s. of John Seymour and Mary Watson, b. June 12, 1666 at Hartford. He d. testate May 16, 1748 at Hartford. Eleven children of the family.
• xi. Mary Webster, b. circa 1676, d. Sept. 27, 1706 at Hartford; m. Nov. 7, 1690 as his 2nd wife, Thomas King, s. of John King and Sarah Holton, b. July 14, 1662 at Northampton, Mass. He d. Dec. 12, 1711 and his estate was distributed in 1714. It is unclear which of the four children included in the estate were by Mary Webster versus by King's 1st wife, Abigail Strong.
Inscription: At the time of Robert's death the only cemetery in existence at Hartford was the Ancient Cemetery, formerly called the Center Church Cemetery of Hartford's First Congregational Church. But, by the mid 1800s Robert had no extant gravestone, if he had one to begin with.