|Birth: ||Jul. 20, 1634|
|Death: ||Feb. 12, 1709|
Lieut. James Treat, Sr., youngest son & 9th child of the Wethersfield, Conn. immigrants Richard Treat, Esq. & Alice Gaylord, bapt. July 20, 1634 at St. Andrew and St. Mary Church, at Pitminster, Somersetshire, England. He d. testate Feb. 12, 1708/09 at Wethersfield, Conn., Æ 75. He has no known gravestone marking the place of his internment, but is assumed to be interred at Wethersfield Village Cemetery where his wife and many of his immediate descendants are buried.
James m. Rebecca Latimer, dau. of John and Ann Latimer, early settlers of Wethersfield. Rebecca was b. Oct. 6, 1646 at Wethersfield and d. there Aug. 23, 1734, Æ 88 (g.s.).
The Treat Gen. cites the date of their marriage as Jan. 26, 1664-5, but there is no primary source that confirms it. Rather than the first child being b. 15 months later, the date of marriage would be more believable if it was actually June 26, 1665, indicating the first child was born 9 months and 5 days after marriage. As an historic perspective, after detailing more than 200 ancestors of very early New England, it was rare that the first child was born more than 10-11 months after the wedding night.
The known children were all b. at Wethersfield, but only some of them have recorded dates of birth in the Wethersfield records. The extant gravestones of the children without a recorded date of birth have been used as the basis of the date AFTER which they were born:[*1]
• i. James Treat, Jr., Esq., b. Apr. 1, 1666 at Wethersfield (VRs), d. there Feb 18, 1741/42, Æ 76 (g.s.); m. 1) Dec. 17, 1691 at Wethersfield, Prudence Chester, dau. of Capt. John Chester & Sarah Wells (q.v. Welles), b. Dec. 10, 1666 at Wethersfield. She d. May 25, 1727 at Wethersfield (g.s.). They had 7 children of record at Wethersfield. He m. 2) after May 1727, Hannah Wright, dau. of Ens. Samuel Wright and Mary Butler, the widow of Daniel Boardman. She was b. betw. 1662-1663 at Wethersfield, and d. there Feb 25, 1745/46, Æ 83 (g.s.). There were no children of this latter marriage. Hannah had 11 children by her 1st husband, who d. Feb. 20, 1724/25, Æ 67.
• ii. Jemima Treat, b. Mar. 15, 1667/68 (VRs), d. Oct. 5, 1755 at Newington, Conn., Æ 87 (g.s.); m. Dec. 17, 1691 at Wethersfield, Stephen Chester, the older brother of Jemima's brother James' wife Prudence, b. May 26, 1660 at Wethersfield. He d. Feb. 9, 1697/98 at Wethersfield, Conn. Three children of the family.
• iii. Samuel Treat, Sr., b. Feb 17, 1670/71 (VRs), d. Mar 5, 1732/33 at Wethersfield, Æ 63 (g.s.); m. Nov. 22, 1716, prob. at Windsor, Conn., Sarah Wolcott, who d. Apr. 10, 1743 at Wethersfield, Æ 53 (g.s.). Two children of the family, but only one, Samuel, Jr., reached maturity and left descendants.
• iv. Rev. Salmon Treat, b. AFTER Jan. 6, 1671/2, d. Jan. 6, 1762 at Preston, Conn., Æ 90 (g.s.); m. 1) Dorothy Noyes, dau. of Rev. James Noyes & Dorothy Stanton, b. June 22, 1675 at Stonington, Conn. She d. at Preston, Conn. Dec. 6, 1714, Æ 40 (g.s.). He m. 2) Nov. 6, 1716 at Preston, Conn., Mary, wid. of Capt. John Park(e), whose identity is not established. There are no known children of the second marriage and when & where 2nd wife Mary d. is not of record. Nine children by wife Dorothy.
• v. Richard Treat, b. circa 1675, d. testate May 7, 1713 at Wethersfield, age not stated; m. Nov. 23, 1704 at Wethersfield, Catherine Bulkeley (q.v. Bulkley), dau. of Rev. Dr. and Hon. Gershom Bulkeley and Sarah Chauncey, b. circa 1681. She d. betw. Aug 25, 1706 and May 1712 before both her father and husband. One child, dau. Katherine (q.v.). Neither Richard nor his wife have known gravestones.
• vi. Jerusha Treat, b. AFTER Jan. 15, 1677/8, d. Jan. 15, 1754 at Wethersfield, Æ 76 (g.s.); m. 1) May 17, 1705 at Wethersfield as his 2nd wife, Capt. Thomas Wells (q.v. Welles), s. of Capt. Samuel Wells (q.v.) & Elizabeth Hollister, b. July 29, 1662 at Wethersfield. He d. intestate Dec. 7, 1711 at Wethersfield, Æ 50. Four children of the family. Jerusha m. 2) Dec. 25, 1712 at Wethersfield as his 2nd wife, Capt. Ephraim Goodrich, s. of Ens. William Goodrich, Sr. and Sarah Marvin, b. June 2, 1663 at Wethersfield. He d. Feb. 27, 1739/40 at the Rocky Hill section of Wethersfield (now Rocky Hill, Conn.), Æ 74 (g.s.). Two children of the family. Ephraim Goodrich's 1st wife was Sarah Treat, dau. of Ens. Richard Treat, Jr. and Sarah Coleman, b. June 8, 1664 at Wethersfield where she d. Jan. 26, 1711/12, Æ 48 (g.s.). Ephraim and Sarah (Treat) Goodrich had 7 children.
• vii. Lieut. Joseph Treat, b. AFTER Sept. 5, 1680, d. Sept. 5, 1756 at Wethersfield, Æ 76 (g.s.); m. July 16, 1713 at Wethersfield, Mary Robbins, dau. of Capt. Joshua Robbins, Esq. and Elizabeth Rose, b. July 10, 1692 at Wethersfield. She d. Sept. 17, 1760 at Wethersfield. Three children of the family.
• viii. Mabel Treat, b. circa 1684, d. bef. Mar. 1718/19; m. May 24, 1716 at Hartford, Conn. (by Rev. Timothy Woodbridge, 2nd Chh.) as his 2nd wife, Samuel Stanton, s. of Thomas Stanton, Jr. & Sarah Denison, bapt. May 21, 1682 at Stonington, Conn. He m. his 3rd wife, Lois Cobb at Stonington Mar. 19, 1717/18 and d. Jan. 19, 1770 at Stonington. He had nine recorded children by his 1st and 3rd wives, but no child by Mabel is of record, suggesting she died soon after the marriage.
• ix. Rebecca Treat, b. AFTER Dec. 26, 1685, d. Dec. 26, 1753 at Wethersfield, Æ 68 (g.s.); m. Dec, 27, 1704 at Wethersfield, Ebenezer Deming, Jr., s. of Ebenezer & Sarah Deming, b. May 5, 1678 at Wethersfield. He purportedly d. Apr. 16, 1763 at Newington, Conn. Six children of the family.
[*1] Throughout New England, if not the whole of North America prior to the early 1800's, the gravestone symbol "Æ" or phrase "in the XX year of his/her age" stood for the Latin phrase "Ætatis suæ," which measures age from the date of birth versus the modern concept of a person's chronological age. That is, on the day a person is born they are in the first year of their age, and 366 days latter when a person celebrates their 1st birthday they are then in the 2nd year of their age. The stated age on early gravestones was one year greater than the person's chronological age.
Richard Treat (1584 - 1670)
Alice Gaylord Treat (1594 - 1669)
Rebecca Latimer Treat (1646 - 1734)
James Treat (1666 - 1742)*
Jemime Treat Chester (1668 - 1755)*
Samuel Treat (1670 - 1732)*
Salmon Treat (1672 - 1762)*
Richard Treat (1675 - 1713)*
Jerusha Treat Goodrich (1678 - 1754)*
Joseph Treat (1681 - 1756)*
Rebecca Treat Deming (1686 - 1753)*
Honor Treat Deming (1616 - ____)*
Johanna Treat Hollister (1618 - 1694)*
Sarah Treat Canfield (1620 - 1673)*
Robert Treat (1622 - 1710)*
Richard Treat (1623 - 1693)*
Susanna Treat Webster (1629 - 1705)*
James Treat (1634 - 1709)
Wethersfield Village Cemetery
Created by: Don Blauvelt
Record added: Feb 04, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 47595840