|Birth: ||Sep. 28, 1854|
New York, USA
|Death: ||Dec. 25, 1938|
Edson Nathaniel Coleman, s. of Lyman and Ann Coleman, b. Sept. 28, 1854 at North Lansing, NY. He d. at Davenport, IA Dec. 25, 1938, Æ 85.
Edson m. 1) before 1879, Emily Baker, who d. soon after the birth of their only child, dau. Mary Jane "Mollie" Coleman, b. Aug. 14, 1879 at Missouri Valley, IA.
On July 30, 1890 at Homer, NY, Edson m. 2) Emily Maria Robinson, only surviving child of Rev. William Albert Robinson, D.D. and Lucy Camp Swift, b. June 14, 1863 at Morrisville, VT. She d. at Davenport, IA Sept. 9, 1950, Æ 88. They had four children.
At his death, Edson's obituary from the Davenport, Iowa Democrat, Monday Dec. 26, 1938, pg. 11, stated:
"Resident of Davenport Since 1905 and Active in Masonic Circles.
• Edson N. Coleman, former school executive and for 20 years general manager of the Davenport agency of the Connecticut Mutual Life Insurance Co., died at 8:45 a.m. Sunday at his home, 2908 Grand avenue. He was 84 years of age and had been ill two months.
• Born Sept. 28, 1854 at North Lansing, N.Y., Mr. Coleman was graduated from the Courtland (Cortland) Normal school and Cornell university. He later married Emily Baker, who died in 1880, and he married Emily Robinson in 1890 in Homer, N.Y.
• Mr. Coleman was engaged for a number of years in teaching school in New York and later became Superintendent of schools at Missouri Valley, Fort Dodge, and LeMars, Iowa.
• In 1902 he quit the teaching profession and engaged in the life insurance business, coming to Davenport in 1905. Four years later he became general manager for the local agency of the Connecticut Mutual Life Insurance Co. In 1929 he became associate general manager.
• Mr. Coleman was a member of Trinity Cathedral, Trinity lodge, A.F. & A.M., Zarepath Consistory, Kasba Temple, and was a past president of the Davenport Underwriters' Association.
• Surviving are his widow; one son, John R. Coleman, Seattle, Wash.; three daughters, Mrs. Chas. Myers, Avon Park, Fla., Miss Ruth R. Coleman and Miss Elizabeth L. Coleman, both of Chicago, and one grandchild, Ann Elizabeth Coleman, Seattle. One son preceded him in death..."
The child of Edson N. Coleman and first wife Emily Baker is:
• i. Mary Jane "Mollie" Coleman, b. Aug. 14, 1879 at Missouri Valley, IA, d. Feb. 16, 1973 at Avon Park, FL (g.s.); m. before 1930 Charles Eliphus Myers, b. Nov. 3, 1876 at Dupont, OH and d. Jan. 16, 1970 at Avon Park, FL (g.s.) A school teacher, Mary and Charles married late in life and had no children.
The children of Edson N. Coleman and second wife Emily Maria Robinson are:
• ii. Ruth Robinson Coleman, b. July 17, 1891 at LeMars, IA, d. unmarried at Chicago, IL Dec. 21, 1957, Æ 67. She was a social worker for Federal and State probations agencies residing in the 1920 and 1930 censuses at Chicago. Her ashes were interred at her parent's cemetery plot at Davenport, Iowa Jan. 8, 1758.
• iii. William Robinson Coleman, b. Sept. 22, 1893 at LeMars, IA and d. there an infant Feb. 21, 1895. He was reinterred at Oakdale Memorial Gardens Cemetery at Davenport, IA Mar. 20, 1951 where he has a small footstone adjoining his parents.
• iv. John Robinson Coleman, b. Nov. 22, 1899 at LeMars, IA, d. in May 1983 at Seattle, WA, Æ 84; m. Apr. 12, 1925 at Davenport, IA, Florence A. Zara, dau. of Joseph Zara and Anna "Annie" Touber, b. Jan. 28, 1900 at Iowa City, IA. She d. in May 1982 at Seattle, WA, Æ 83. One child of the family.
• v. Elizabeth Lucy Coleman, b. Dec. 30, 1902 at Fort Dodge, IA, d. Feb. 15, 1968 at Waukesha, WI. Her ashes were interred Mar. 12, 1968 at her parent's Oakdale Memorial Gardens Cemetery plot. In the 1930 census she was unmarried residing at her parent's home in Davenport, employed as a public librarian. In her father's 1938 obituary she was residing at Chicago, IL. She m. circa 1949 Joseph S. Jackson, a family friend; there were no children of the marriage. Joseph d. on an unknown date at Wisconsin, his ashes interred prior to those of his widow at the Robinson family plot at Davenport IA Jan. 27, 1959.
Emily Maria Robinson Coleman (1863 - 1950)*
Mary Jane Coleman Myers (1879 - 1973)*
Ruth Robinson Coleman (1891 - 1957)*
William Robinson Coleman (1893 - 1895)*
John Robinson Coleman (1899 - 1983)*
Elizabeth Lucy Coleman Jackson (1902 - 1968)*
Footstone in front of Monument:
Edson Nathaniel Coleman
September 28, 1854
December 25, 1938
Oakdale Memorial Gardens
Plot: Section 12, Lot 039
Created by: Don Blauvelt
Record added: Nov 10, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 44149543