|Birth: ||Apr. 7, 1802|
South Carolina, USA
He is the son of Richard and Ann (Nancy) Tyler Simmons. Married Nancy M. Hope in October, 1824. She is the daughter of James Hope and Isabelle Smith. William built a home east of Mt. Zion Baptist Church, Pike County, Mississippi and entered a good deal of public land. He was a farmer. They are buried in an old cemetery of this place near where Hugh L. Simmons now lives. There are no markers. The only marker in the graveyard read, "Elizabeth Alford". It is known that this Elizabeth was a younger sister of Nancy Hope Simmons. Nancy died at the home of her son-in-law, W. D. Coney. They were charter members of the Mt. Zion Baptist Church constituted on July 28, 1838, where they served as deacon and deaconess until his death.
1. Solomon O. Simmons, born August 4, 1825, near Mt Zion Church, Pike County, Mississippi, died April 24, 1908, married Sophronio Varnado November 29, 1849, and lived in Emerald community, Pike County, Mississippi, buried S. O. Simmons Cemetery, Pike County, Mississippi
2. Talitha (Zyletha) Simmons* born 1826, in Mississippi, died October 28, 1893, near Magnolia, Pike County, Mississippi, married Ephraim Prescott October 22, 1846, and lived near Magnolia, Pike County, Mississippi
3. Nancy Simmons, born August 2, 1827, in Mississippi, died September 4, 1910, married Jacob M. Ott and lived 12 miles east of Osyka, Pike County, Mississippi, buried in Osyka, Pike County, Mississippi
4. Isabelle Simmons, born December 13, 1831, Pike County, Mississippi, died October 3, 1889, married Newton B. Varnado January 8, 1852, and lived near Mt Zion Church, buried at the Newton Varnado Cemetery
5. Samantha Simmons, born 1836 or 1837. She became blind and never married.
6. Ann Adarine Simmons, born July 12, 1839, died June 15, 1922, married William (Bill) D. Coney and lived east of Magnolia, Pike County, Mississippi, buried 5 miles east of Magnolia, near Lovic Felder home.
7. Cyrus S. Simmons, born November 3, 1841, died 1920, married Rosa E. Tate January 31, 1867, buried in Tylertown, Mississippi
8. Celissa O. Simmons, born September 29, 1847, died July 22, 1911, married William Pink Andrews, buried McComb Cemetery, McComb, Pike County, Mississippi
* Our ancestor
Nancy Ann Tyler Simmons (1776 - 1838)
Nancy M. Hope Simmons (1807 - 1888)*
Solomon O Simmons (1825 - 1908)*
Talitha Simmons Prescott (1826 - 1893)*
Celissa O. Simmons Andrews (1847 - 1911)*
William Simmons (1802 - 1867)
George Simmons (1808 - 1862)*
Created by: Jean Roberts
Record added: Sep 01, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 41459761
My great-great-great grandfather through my paternal grandmother Lula Elaine Prescott Roberts, her father Willis P. "Joe" Prescott, his mother Talitha Simmons Prescott.|
Added: Apr. 16, 2014