|Birth: ||May 7, 1730|
|Death: ||Oct. 22, 1778|
Thomas Darling's paternal lineage is as follows:
grandparents: Dennis Darling and Hannah Francis
parents: Benjamin Darling and Mehitable White
Note regarding Thomas' death date, offered by Herman Weiland: The probable explanation for the year of death inscribed on the headstone is that after the settlement in 1778, the family bought the stone but neglected to tell the engraver the correct date and he assumed it was 1778. Susan Salisbury's 2003 book, "The Darlings of Mendon Massachusetts", p. 28 lists the date as 1776.
Thomas was the eleventh of eleven children born to Benjamin and Mehitable (White) Darling. Benjamin and Mehitable's children, all born in Mendon, were:
1) Mehitable, b. Mar. 10, 1709/10, d. before 1770, the date of Benjamin's will.
2) Deborah, b. Apr. 22, 1711, marr. Daniel Wheelock
3) Benjamin, b. Mar. 15, 1714/15, marr. Elizabeth Force on Jul. 28, 1773 in Smithfield, R.I.
4) Joseph, b. Apt. 21, 1716, marr. Mary Fish
5) Ebenezer, b. Aug. 25, 1718
6) Peter, b. Jun. 12, 1720.
7) Hannah, b. Mar 25, 1722, marr. Jeremiah Battles
8) Abigail, b. Mar. 15, 1723/24, marr. Elisha Inman
9) Samuel,b. Aug. 1, 1726, marr. Sarah White
10) Elizabeth, b. Apr. 11, 1729, marr. Benjamin Medbury
11) Thomas, b. May 7, 1730, marr. Rachel White
He married Rachel White on Dec 17,1749 at Mendon,MA. She was the daughter of Joseph White III and Prudence Smith White.
Children of Thomas and Rachel (White Darling, all born in Mendon were:
1) Rhoda Darling, b. May 8, 1750, marr. Jeptha Clark
2) Joanna Darling, b. Feb. 1, 1752, marr. first, Stephen Hilliard/Hilyard and second, Enoch Thayer.
3) Rachel Darling, b. May 1, 1755, marr. Reuben Holbrook.
4) Prudence Darling, b. Sept. 28, 1757, marr. Nahor Staples.
5) Simeon Darling, b. Mar. 21, 1760, marr. Anna (Hannah) Phelps.
6) Seth Darling, b. Mar. 21, 1764, marr. Chloe Marsh.
7) Benjamin Darling, b. Feb. 28, 1766, d. bef. Apr. 14, 1778(not included in guardianship in father's will, so perhaps he died).
8) John Darling, b. Jun. 9, 1768, marr. Polly Warfield.
9) Nathan Darling, b. Dec. 17, 1770, marr. Polly Young.
10) Alpheus Darling, b. Nov. 7, 1773, marr. Lois Kellogg.
Thomas Darling fought in the American revolution. He was a Private in the Worcester Co., Massachusetts Militia in 1776.
On Apr. 14, 1778, Rachel became the guardian of her five sons who were not yet adults. These were: Simeon, Seth, John, Nathan and Alpheus. Since Benjamin is not included, he is presumed to have died. The property of Thomas Darling was partitioned by a committee that presented its report on Dec. 14, 1778. In the partition, Rachel received a third of the property as her dower. The oldest son, Simeon, was given two shares as provided by law. Each of the other sons received one share. The daughters had previously been given something, which was considered in determining their respective shares.
For the next ten years, Rachel remained a widow and took care of her family. But some of her children married and moved away. Then, on Feb. 1, 1787, she married James Albee of Uxbridge in Mendon. He had been married to Rachel's sister, Prudence White, who had died earlier. That James Albee was the husband of Prudence White, Rachel's sister, is shown by a deed from James and Prudence Albee to Joseph White Jr., selling their interest in the dower of her mother, Prudence White.
On Jan. 26, 1793, the property Rachel received as her dower was sold to Ebenezer Taft. That transaction was covered in a series of deeds wherein her children relinquished their rights. Rachel's death has not been found, but she was alive on Sept. 25, 1795, when she assented to the probate of her husband, James Albee.
Benjamin Darling (1688 - 1772)
Mehitable White Darling (1689 - 1730)
Rachel Darling White Albee (1732 - ____)*
Rachel Darling Holbrook (1755 - 1789)*
Seth Darling (1764 - 1825)*
Alpheus Darling (1773 - 1838)*
Joseph Darling (1716 - 1787)*
Ebenezer Darling (1718 - 1806)*
Samuel Darling (1726 - ____)*
Thomas Darling (1730 - 1778)
(The death date of 1778 is on the gravestone, but the stonecarver may have erred since Thomas' probate was brought on Jan 23,1777 -- Worcester probate #15472. His death was more likely Oct 22,1776.)
Chestnut Hill Cemetery
Maintained by: Chloé
Originally Created by: Kathryn
Record added: Dec 10, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 32101571