|Birth: ||Jun. 27, 1902|
Big Horn County
|Death: ||Aug. 23, 1989|
Joseph Boyd Denney was born June 27th 1902 to Edward Denney and Julia Ann England in Byron, Wyoming. He was known by his middle name, Boyd. Boyd was the fourth of 10 children having 6 brothers and 3 sisters. Boyd remembered the kids in his home taking turns making the fire in the morning. His father asked him to help get one brother out of bed who struggled to get up. Boyd didn't start school until he was seven because his parents felt he was too bashful to be with the other children. This personality trait persisted throughout his life. He learned quickly after starting school and did well on his multiplication tables remembering them throughout his life. Boyd graduated from the eighth grade in Byron, Wyoming.
Boyd stated: "We always blessed the food and Mother always taught us to say our prayers at night before we went to bed. If I every lost my toys or things, I prayed to the Lord and he helped me find them."
Boyd said he enjoyed the activities of baseball, basketball, pole vaulting and racing. When Boyd was seventeen his parents moved to Virginia, Idaho. They had 104 acres in Virginia. Virgina is an unincorporated area near Downey, Idaho. In the winter of 1923 Boyd went to work for his Uncle Roy Waddoups on a farm near Arco, Idaho in what became known as Lost River. One night after he had gone to bed the teenagers got him out of bed to go with them sleigh riding. There were 2 boys and 2 girls and one of the girls was Vivian Reynolds. They must have liked each other for this was just the beginning. During this time Boyd and Vivian stayed in touch by mail. Boyd returned to work with his uncle in Lost River for six weeks during that summer. Boyd sent Vivian travel money and they spent Christmas together at Boyd's parent's home. At this time they became engaged when he gave her a ruby ring in 1925. When summer arrived Boyd borrowed his brother Claude's (John Claudius Denney) car and picked up Vivian. Boyd and Vivian traveled to Salt Lake City where they were married June 2nd 1926 in the Salt Lake Temple. Only Boyd's uncle was able to attend the temple sealing. Children, milking cows and farm work made leaving for even a few days impossible for most family members.
Boyd and Vivian moved to Downey after being married, living in one bedroom in his married brother Claude's home. They didn't have much but Vivian recalls: "we thought we had about everything". Boyd got a job driving school bus for $60 a month. He kept this job for four years. They then bought an 80 acre farm in Virginia for $6,000. This land had a brick house on it with no indoor plumbing and no heat except for the wood stove in the kitchen.
Boyd and Vivian had the following children:
1. Marjorie Vivian (Meacham) was born at home in Downey on May 25th 1927. She married Archie Mecham on March 30th 1845 in the Salt Lake Temple.
2. Donald Boyd was born at home in Downey May 5th 1928. He married Sharlene Evalyn Hansen in the Idaho Falls Temple on June 2nd 1953. He had five boys. Kerry, Michael, Scott, Bruce and Mark. All were married in the temple, served missions and were eagle scouts.
3. Alan Eugene was born at home in Downey June 19th 1929. Died March 27th 1978. He married Patricia Jones in the Salt Lake Temple on May 29th 1952. They had four children: Deborah, Terry, Kathy, Jeffery. Alan died March 27th 1978.
4. Betty May (Barrus) was born at home in Downey February 16th 1931. On June 29th 1951 Betty married Neil Barrus in the Idaho Falls Temple.
5. David Elden was born at home in Groveland, Bingham County, Idaho March 7th 1938. On May 25th 1962 David married Judy Adams in the Idaho Falls temple.
6. Steven ‘LaMar' was born at the hospital in Blackfoot, Idaho September 13th 1941. Died May 13th 1962 on his mission in Austrailia after being hit in a car by a train. Buried in Groveland Cemetery west of Blackfoot, Idaho.
Boyd moved his family to Groveland Idaho in 1938 where he bought a farm. Boyd served as Bishop in Groveland 8 years. He was upset by the death of his son LaMar in 1962, while LaMar was serving a church mission. Boyd and Vivain served many years as workers in the Idaho Falls Temple. Boyd was saddened by the death of his loving spouse Vivian in 1972. In 1973 he married Virginia Borg and they cared for each other while living in Idaho Falls until his death at age 87 on August 23rd 1989.
Edward Denney (1869 - 1960)
Julia Ann England Denney (1873 - 1969)
Vivian LaDella Reynolds Denney (1907 - 1972)
Donald Boyd Denney (1928 - 2015)*
Alan E Denney (1929 - 1978)*
Stephen LaMar Denney (1941 - 1962)*
Mary Vervean Denney Pryde (1895 - 1987)*
Edward Leroy Denney (1897 - 1944)*
J. Claudaus Denney (1900 - 1993)*
Joseph Boyd Denney (1902 - 1989)
C. Oliver Denney (1905 - 1989)*
Lavon Denney (1907 - 1915)*
Eliza Margaret Denney Olson (1910 - 1991)*
Julia Denney Blanchard (1913 - 2001)*
Alice Denney (1916 - 2011)*
Doris E. Denney (1920 - 1943)*
Wife: Vivian L Reynolds Denney, Married: June 2, 1926; Our Children: Marjorie, Betty, Donald, David, Alan, S Lamar
Note: Also married Virginia Adelia Jenkins on 12 Jan 1973.
Maintained by: Kerry Denney
Originally Created by: Brooker
Record added: Sep 21, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 29988618