|Birth: ||Aug. 22, 1825|
New York, USA
|Death: ||Nov. 17, 1907|
Miles Kenyon Lewis was born in New York in 1825. His parents were Kenyon and Sarah [Porter] Lewis. He met his wife, Corintha, who was known as Cornelia, and they were married on Sep 9, 1849 in Johnson County, Iowa. Her family was living in the area at the time and his family was living in Knox Co., Illinois at the time. According to Linnie Haddock, their direct descendant [mentioned below and also in Corintha's memorial], the couple apparently married in Iowa, returned to Illinois for a period of time, then came [back] to Iowa before moving on to Nebraska and then to Oregon. Miles and his wife farmed the land of the Albany area all of their adult lives until age and illness forced their move into town. They moved to 514 Elm St., in Albany and were living there when Miles became quite ill with diahrrea for 6 days with dysentery following for a month. The poor man was 82 years old and didn't have the endurance to fight off his illness that a younger person might have had. Needless to say, the poor man passed away on Nov 17, 1907, leaving his wife to grieve his loss. One note of interest is that he was originally supposed to be buried in Portland, Oregon, not Albany. There is a certificate for "transport of a corpse" to Portland, Oregon that was completed immediately following his demise but, for whatever reason, Mr. Lewis's remains were never sent to Portland but remained (as it were) in Albany, to be interred at Riverside Cemetery. Corintha died within the next 2 years and was buried next to him. He was the father of the following seven children:
1. Electa Darthula, (1851-1920). She married Hiram Milliman Palmer (1849-1925) in Iowa on Jun 8, 1870. They had seven children of their own, living out their lives in Linn County, Oregon. Find A Grave memorial #29007519.
2. Kenyon Winfield, (1852-1904), married Alice Emma Sturm (1857-1929) on Sept 16th, 1874 in Adams Co., Nebraska. They had three daughters while living in Nebraska. After Kenyon's death, Alice eventually remarried, in @1921 to Louis Boyd Cradit, a widower. They went to live in Long Beach, Los Angeles Co., CA where she died Nov 27, 1929. Louis died in 1943. They are both buried at Sunnyside Cemetery in Long Beach, CA., although Louis's name and year of birth were carved above his 1st wife's name at Rose Hill Cemetery in Clark, South Dakota.Kenyon's Find A Grave memorial #59131865, Alice Emma [Sturm] Lewis Cradit, memorial #7896487, and Louis Boyd Cradit's memorial #7896488 and cenotaph, memorial #130562199.
3. Emily Iowene, was b. Jan 29th, 1854, but d.Sep 22nd, 1854, in Iowa. Unable to Locate.
4. Francis Stanton,(Sep 1857-1932)[buried as Frank S. Lewis], married Dora Dean (Aug 1862-1936) on July 3rd, 1884 in Hastings, Adams Co., NE. He is Find A Grave memorial #85097074, she is Find A Grave memorial #85097066. They had 3 children: Miles K., b. Jul 1885, NE., Thomas D., b. Jun 1887, NE., & Ellenor, b. Oct 1892, CO.
5. Edgar Leroy, (1859-1893), was married in Kansas to Ella Marie Card (b,~1860-?). He died in Colorado. Her fate is unknown. Find A Grave memorial #13467211.
6. Nevada Wealthy "Vada" (1864-1929), married Asa Scott Hart (1859-1950), on Aug 21, 1888 in Hastings, Adams Co., NE. and bore him three children during their marriage, in Albany, Linn Co., OR. Following her death, Asa moved to Alameda Co., CA., most likely to live with an adult child. Following his demise, his remains were returned to Oregon where they were interred near his wife. She is Find A Grave memorial #29320051 and Asa is Find A Grave memorial #29320049.
7. Willard Parks, (1867-?), married Hattie Jackson, (~1870-?), on Nov 8, 1888 in Nebraska. Their fates are unknown at this time.
I am very grateful to Lyn and Linnie Haddock of Woodland Park, Colorado, for all of the information regarding the marriage and children of Miles and Corintha Lewis. Lyn is a direct descendant from Kenyon and Sarah Ann "Sally" [Porter] Lewis through their daughter, Eliza Adeline, who is a sister of Miles Kenyon Lewis. [1st Revised on Jan 1st, 2014.] [3rd, Amended on Apr 26, 2014.]
I am also grateful to Richard and Glenna Rice of Hastings, Nebraska who have provided me with the links for Miles' parents. I have added them onto his memorial today, the day I read their email. Thank you so much. [2nd Revised Feb 6, 2014]
With All Sincerity, Kathie L. Webb Blair
Kenyon Lewis (1782 - 1854)
Sarah Ann Sally Porter Lewis (1787 - 1835)
Corintha Parks Lewis (1827 - 1909)*
Electa Darthula Lewis Palmer (1851 - 1920)*
Kenyon Winfield Lewis (1852 - 1904)*
Francis Stanton Lewis (1857 - 1932)*
Edgar Leroy Lewis (1860 - 1893)*
Nevada Wealthy Lewis Hart (1864 - 1929)*
Lovisa Lewis Palmer (1806 - 1835)*
LeRoy Lansing Lewis (1812 - 1836)*
Lawren Porter Lewis (1814 - 1893)*
Stanton Joseph Lewis (1816 - 1880)*
Eliza Adeline Lewis Baker (1819 - 1871)*
Mary Ann Lewis Palmer (1821 - 1902)*
Electa Lewis Everett (1823 - 1915)*
Miles Kenyon Lewis (1825 - 1907)
Lyman Philip Lewis (1828 - 1916)*
Note: Thanks again, David.
Maintained by: Kathie L. Webb Blair
Originally Created by: David J Bollman
Record added: Aug 16, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 29081223
Watch the sun setting and the sky changing colors over the fields of gold in Paradise. Oregon was the next best thing to Heaven, according to many of the Pioneers, and I have to agree. Rest in Peace. With Respect,|
Kathie L. Webb Blair
Added: Apr. 26, 2014
To an influential pioneer, father and grandfather!|
Added: Sep. 2, 2012
Added: Jan. 12, 2012
|There is 1 more note not showing...|
Click here to view all notes...