|Birth: ||Dec. 25, 1843|
|Death: ||Mar. 7, 1919|
Private GEORGE MERCHANT, Co. G, 86th Illinois
George Merchant was born on December 25, 1842/43 at ____________, Ohio, the son of Alexander Merchant and Ann (Patterson) Merchant, according to his death record in State of Illinois records. Alexander was born c. 1814/15 in Pennsylvania, while Ann was born c. 1819/20 in Ohio. Alexander and Ann were married on ___________ __, 18__ at ____________, ____________. Nine children are known to have been born to them. They include;
1. Samuel P. Merchant, born c. January __, 1839 in Ohio; served in Co. D of the 51st Illinois during the Civil War; died on ___________ __, 1___ in California and his mortal remains were laid in the Lakeside Cemetery and Mausoleum in Folsom, Sacramento County, California.
2. John Merchant, born August 18, 1841 in Ohio; John served in Co. D of the 51st Illinois and died while in the service on September 9, 1864 at Chicago, Illinois; His mortal remains were returned to Central Illinois where they were laid to rest in the Evergreen Cemetery in El Paso, Woodford County, Illinois.
3. George Merchant, born December 25, 1842/43; See his biography below.
4. Mary Merchant, born c. 1845/46 in Ohio.
5. William Merchant, born c. 1848/49 in Ohio.
6. Martha Merchant, born c. 1850 in Ohio.
7. Thomas Merchant, born c. 1854/55 in Illinois; Thomas is found with the family in 1860, but not in 1870. He may have died in the 1860's.
8. James Merchant, born c. 1857/58 in Illinois; James is found with the family up though the 1880 census, but, can not be located after this.
9. Alexander Merchant, born c. 1861/62 in Illinois; Alexander is with the family in 1880 in McLean County, Illinois, but he can not be located after that 1880 census.
At the time of the 1850 census, the Merchant family is found in Rose, Carroll County, Ohio;
Alex Merchant M 35 Pennsylvania
Ann Merchant F 30 Ohio
Samuel P Merchant M 11 Ohio
John Merchant M 9 Ohio
George Merchant M 7 Ohio
Mary Merchant F 4 Ohio
William Merchant M 1 Ohio
Sometime between 1850 and 1855, the Merchant family came west to Illinois, where at the time of the 1860 census, they are found in Morton Township of Tazewell County, Illinois. It also appears that Ann (__________) Merchant may have died in the 1850's as Alexander's wife is now listed as Margaret and she is several years older than Ann should have been at this time;
Alexander Merchant M 50 Farmer 500 Pa
Margaret Merchant F 43 Ohio
Samuel Merchant M 21 Carpenter Ohio
John Merchant M 18 Carpenter Ohio
George Merchant M 17 Carpenter Ohio
Mary Merchant F 13 Ohio
William Merchant M 11 Ohio
Martha Merchant F 10 Ohio
Thomas Merchant M 5 Ill
James Merchant M 2 Ill
[NOTE: George Merchant also listed in the 1860 federal census in Deer Creek Township of Tazewell County in the family unit of Thomas Crane. Perhaps he was working on their farm. See below.)
Thomas Crane M 30 Ohio
Emely Crane F 26 N Y
Ada Crane F 5 Ill
Lewis Crane M 4 Ill
Edwin Crane M 2 Ill
Saml Crane M Ill
George Merchant M 16 Ohio
In the early 1860's, during the war, Alexander Merchant moved his family to McLean County, Illinois. At the time of the 1865 census, Alexander Merchant and his family are found in Gridley, McLean County, Illinois. There are seven males and 3 females in his household.
At the time of the 1870 census, the Merchant family is found in ___________ County, Illinois;
Alex Merchant M 58 Pennsylvania
Margaret Merchant F 53 Ohio
George Merchant M 26 Ohio
James Merchant M 12 Illinois
Alex Merchant M 8 Illinois
Ida Brooks F 18 Ohio
George Stockwell M 23 New York
At the time of the 1880 census, the Merchants are found in Gridley, McLean County, Illinois;
Self A. M. Merchant M 70 Pennsylvania
Wife Margaret Merchant F 63 Ohio
Son James Merchant M 23 Illinois
Son Alexander Merchant M Farm Laborer 19 Illinois
Alexander Merchant died on ___________ __, 18__ at __________, __________. Margaret (__________) Merchant died on ___________ __, 18__ at __________, __________. Their mortal remains were laid in the ____________ Cemetery in ___________, ___________.
Now to continue with the biography of George Merchant;
On August 15, 1862, George Merchant volunteered at Peoria, Illinois to serve in a company which was being raised in the Eureka and El Paso, Illinois of Woodford County by William S. Magarity, who had been the first man elected to serve as Woodford County Sheriff in the 1840's. Though he lived in Peoria, George obviously wanted to serve with the young men he knew and that he had grown up with.
ILLINOIS STATE ARCHIVES
Illinois Civil War Detail Report
Name MERCHANT, GEORGE Rank PVT
Company G Unit 86 IL US INF
Residence PEORIA, PEORIA CO, IL
Age 19 Height 5' 6 Hair BLACK
Eyes BLACK Complexion FAIR
Marital Status SINGLE
Occupation FARMER Nativity OH
Joined When AUG 15, 1862
Joined Where PEORIA, IL
Joined By Whom W B BOGARDUS
Period 3 YRS Muster In AUG 27, 1862
Muster In Where CAMP PEORIA, IL
Muster In By Whom
Muster Out JUN 6, 1865
Muster Out Where WASHINGTON, DC
Muster Out By Whom LT SCROGGS
Remarks ESCAPED PRISONER CAPTURED WHILE FORAGING AT ATHENS FERRY
Have not found George in 1870.
George Merchant was married to Jennie Keyser on January 1, 1873 in McLean County, Illinois. (NOTE: Jennie appears to be a nickname as her real name shows up as Virginia A. Keyser.) Virginia A. "Jennie" Keyser was born January __, 1853 in ____________, Illinois, the daughter of Smiley S. Keyser and Elizabeth (Stewart) Keyser.
Four children were born to George and Jennie. They include;
1. Louis (or Lewis) E. Merchant, born April 18, 1875/76 in Illinois; died on April 14, 1916 in Peoria, Peoria County, Illinois; Louis was a mechanic by trade; his mortal remains were laid in the _____________ Cemetery in Bloomington, McLean County, Illinois.
2. Carry Merchant, born c. 1878/79 in Illinois; died sometime between 1880 and 1900.
3. __________ Merchant, born __________ __, 18__; died sometime before 1900.
4. Cora D. Merchant, born November __, 1895 in Illinois.
1880 Federal Census, Bloomington, McLean Co., IL.
George Merchant, 36, Farmer, OH
Jennie Merchant, 27, IL
Louis Merchant, 5, IL
Carry Merchant, 1, IL
1900 Federal Census, Hudson, McLean Co., IL.
George Merchant, 56, Dec 1843, Md 27 yrs (marriage year 1873), Dec 1843, OH, Farmer
Virginia Merchant, 47, Jan 1853, 4 children/2 living, IL
Louis E. Merchant, 25, Apr 1875, IL
Cora D. Merchant, 4, Nov 1895, IL
1910 Federal Census, Normal, McLean Co., IL
George Merchant, 65, Md 36 yrs, OH
Jennie Merchant, 57, 4 children/2 living, IL
Louis Merchant, 34, IL
Cora Merchant, 14, IL
According to the Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947, Private George Merchant died on Mar. 7, 1919 in Normal, McLean County, Illinois. He is listed as a "retired farmer". His mortal remains were laid to rest on March 10, 1919 in the Evergreen Cemetery in El Paso, Woodford County, Illinois. Virginia A. "Jennie" Keyser Merchant died on December 29, 1937. Their mortal remains were laid in the Evergreen Cemetery in El Paso, Woodford County, Illinois.
by Baxter B. Fite III and Carol Dorward, of Washington, Illinois
(Baxter would enjoy hearing from anyone, especially descendants of the Merchant family, who might be able to add to the biograhical material that we have on George Merchant and the Merchant family. Baxter would also like to see copies of any photographs of George Merchant, which may have survived the years, added to his Find A Grave site for all to see.)
Jennie A. Keiser Merchant (1852 - 1937)
Lewis Merchant (1876 - 1916)*
Maintained by: Baxter B. Fite III
Originally Created by: Amy Robbins-Tjaden
Record added: Jul 19, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 28394115