Mary Doss was born 1792 - Buckingham County, Virginia.
John Pendleton married Mary Doss 1805 in Buckingham County, Virginia.
John was a farmer. He left Virginia about 1826-1828 and was living in Tennessee in 1829. By 1831 he was living in Caldwell County, Kentucky, and must have stayed there until early 1840.
When the Federal Census was taken in 1840, he was living in Christian County, Kentucky where a nephew, James Pendleton III, was living. James had probably left Virginia at the same time as his Uncle John Pendleton.
John returned to Caldwell County and from there he moved in 1846 to Lawrence County, Missouri. A married daughter, Elizabeth J. Pendleton-Jones, had moved there in 1842. Three of John's children were married in Caldwell County. One remained there, but the other two moved to Missouri.
Another daughter married in Christian County, Kentucky and moved to Missouri also.
John was living in the Buck Prairie Township when the 1860 census was taken, but he had died before the 1870 census.
Known Children of John and Mary:
1. Nancy Phipps Pendleton – B/D unknown
2. Elizabeth J. Pendleton-Jones – B 28 May 1816 – D 12 Feb 1903 buried Roberts Cemetery, East of Mt. Vernon in Lawrence County, Missouri.
3. William Monroe Pendleton – B 1 Jun 1816 – D 28 Dec 1909 buried Dover Baptist Church Cemetery, Lawrence County, Missouri
4. Judah Pendleton-Ballard – B 1822 – D 11 Nov 1897 of Cancer buried: Grammer Cemetery, Lawrence County, Missouri
5. Polly Pendleton-Camplaine-B1825 – stayed in Kentucky
6. James T Pendleton B 1829 – living in Missouri in 1852
7. Sarah Jane Pendleton-Dunning-Reynolds B 1835 – D pos 1900 buried at Dover Baptist Church Cemetery, Lawrence County, Missouri.
At the time of the 1870 US Census, Mary was living with a son, William Monroe Pendleton, wife Nancy Dunning-Pendleton and their children in Turnback Township. It is not confirmed how many children John and Mary had, but there were most likely some older children that either stayed in Virginia or Tennessee.
John Pendleton (1787 - 1867)
William Monroe Pendleton (1821 - 1909)*
Sarah Jane Pendleton Dunning-Reynolds (1835 - 1900)*
married 1805 John
Note: s/s John
Dover Baptist Church Cemetery
Maintained by: Julie Wadlow
Originally Created by: Deborah Snyder
Record added: Jul 17, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 28338192