|Birth: ||Oct. 21, 1681|
|Death: ||May 30, 1733|
Capt. Joshua Robbins, Jr., s. of Capt. Joshua Robbins, Sr. and Elizabeth Rose, b. Oct. 21, 1681 at Wethersfield, Conn. He d. testate May 30, 1733 at Wethersfield.
On Nov 20, 1707 at Hartford, Conn. (by Rev. Timothy Woodbridge), Joshua m. Sarah Bidwell, dau. of John Bidwell and Sarah Welles of Hartford, latter the grandau. of Richard Tuttle and Ann Taylor of Boston, Mass. [not of Richard Tuttle's brother William Tuttle and his wife Elizabeth Matthews]
Following Joshua's death, the widow Sarah (Bidwell) Robbins m. 2) May 3, 1739 at Wethersfield as his second wife, Capt. Thomas Wells of Wethersfield, Conn., s. of Capt. Robert Wells and Elizabeth Goodrich.
Capt. Joshua Robbins. Jr. and Sarah Bidwell had eight children of record b. at Wethersfield, Conn.:
• i. Dea. Nathaniel Robbins, b. Sept. 7, 1708, d. Oct. 5, 1783 at Rocky Hill, Conn. (formerly part of Wethersfield); m. Dec. 11, 1735 at Wethersfield, his cousin Mary Robbins, dau. of Sgt. Richard Robbins and Martha Curtis, b. Mar 10, 1713/4 at Wethersfield. She d. Nov. 7, 1781 at Rocky Hill, Conn. Seven children of the family.
• ii. Zebulon Robbins, b. Aug. 2, 1710; m. Jan. 6, 1736/7 at Wethersfield, Sarah Morton, dau. of Thomas Morton and Comfort Deming, b. June 5, 1711 at Wethersfield. Five children recorded at Wethersfield.
• iii. Sarah Robbins, b. Jan. 25, 1711/2, d. Apr. 28, 1753 at Wethersfield.
• iv. John Robbins, b. Mar. 31, 1713, d. Mar. 1, 1768 at Rocky Hill, Conn.; m. Dec. 16, 1736 at Wethersfield, Sarah Goodrich, dau. Lieut. Gideon and Sarah Goodrich, bapt. June 29, 1718 at Wethersfield. She d. July 14, 1756 at Rocky Hill, Conn. Seven purported children, but only the eldest 5 are recorded at Wethersfield.
• v. Hannah Robbins, b. Mar. 3, 1715/6; no confirmed further record.
• vi. Joshua Robbins, 3rd, b. June 19, 1717; m. Aug. 26, 1742 at Wethersfield, Mary Wells. Eight children of record at Wethersfield.
• vii. Elizabeth Robbins, b. Sept. 23, 1719; d. in adolescence June 3, 1733 at Wethersfield.
• viii. Abigail Robbins, b. Oct 9, 1721; no further certain record. [I don't know what pipe Stiles (re: Ancient Wethersfield, 2:570) or his compiler of the Robbins family was smoking, but there is no truth to their claim that Abigail was a wife of Gov. Jonathan Trumbull, Sr. of Conn. (1710-1785) or alternately of his son Gov. Jonathan Trumbull, Jr. of Conn. (1740-1806)]
Joshua Robbins (1652 - 1738)
Elizabeth Rose Robbins (1665 - 1736)
Sarah Bidwell Wells (1681 - 1744)*
Nathaniel Robbins (1708 - 1783)*
Elizabeth Robbins (1719 - 1733)*
Joshua Robbins (1681 - 1733)
Elizabeth Robbins Talcott (1684 - 1761)*
Mary Robbins Treat (1692 - 1760)*
Abigail Robbins Belden (1697 - 1783)*
Comfort Robbins Coleman (1699 - 1744)*
Here lies the Body
of Capt. Joshua
Robbins, who Dec'd
May ye 30th 1733
in the 52nd Year
of his Age
On the day Joshua died he was 51 years old, and Ætatis suæ (i.e., Æ, "Aged," in the XX year of his Age), 52. Pictured is the before and after restoration of Joshua's gravestone based on Tillotson's 1899 full inscription.
Wethersfield Village Cemetery
Plot: ancient burying ground (A-9-k)
Maintained by: Don Blauvelt
Originally Created by: Marie Bonafonte
Record added: Aug 25, 2007
Find A Grave Memorial# 21162013