|Birth: ||Feb. 4, 1661|
|Death: ||Sep. 21, 1712|
As the large Boreman family cenotaph memorial at Wethersfield states: "Mr. Samuel Boreman First Ancestor of the Boardman Family." All of Samuel and Mary (Betts) Boreman's sons who died prior to 1713 (Joseph, John, Jonathan and Nathaniel) and who left a probate record were known by the surname of Boreman. Then, prior to 1720 for unexplained reasons the three surviving sons of the family (1st born son Isaac, 2nd born son Samuel and 5th born son Daniel) used the surname Boardman, with their respective gravestones inscribed either as Bordman or Boardman, but their individual estates were probated under the surname of Boardman.
Lieut. Jonathan Boreman, s. of Samuel Boreman and Mary Betts, b. of record Feb 4, 1660/1 at Wethersfield, where he d. testate Sept. 21, 1712, Æ 52, not 51 as inscribed on his gravestone. He left an unsigned (nuncupative, oral) will at Wethersfield. His estate was inventoried on Nov. 3, 1712 and partially distributed in 1718 and 1720, but whether Jonathan's widow was still living in either of the latter two years is not apparent by the record.
On Oct. 22, 1685 at Hatfield, Mass. (by Peter Tilton), Jonathan m. Mercy Hubbard, dau. of John Hubbard, latter formerly of Wethersfield who relocated his family to Hadley, Mass. in 1660 as one of the dissenters during the Hartford 1st Church controversy. She was b. at Hadley Feb. 23, 1663/4. They had five children of record b. at Wethersfield:
• i. Mercy Boardman, b. July 4, 1687; m. July 4, 1706 at Wethersfield (by Rev. Steph. Mix), John Wright, s. of Dea. Joseph Wright and Mary Stoddard, b. May 19, 1679 at Wethersfield. He d. intestate Mar. 8, 1713/4 at Wethersfield. Four children of the family. Mercy remarried but the identity of her 2nd husband is unclear.
• ii. Joseph Boardman, b. Apr. 18, 1690, died in infancy Feb. 15, 1691/2.
• iii. Jonathan Boardman Jr., b. May 16, 1697; m. 1) June 30, 1725 at Wethersfield (by Rev. Steph. Mix), Mabel Holmes, who d. Nov. 15, 1741 at Wethersfield. Four children of the marriage. Jonathan m. 2) Mar. 10, 1742/3 at Wethersfield, Elizabeth Beckley, by whom he had at least one child, perhaps others.
• iv. Abigail Boardman, b. May 20, 1700; d. unmarried prior to Sept. 18, 1718 when her sister, Mercy (Boardman) Wright requested that Abigail's portion of their father's estate be distributed to the surviving heirs.
• v. Hepzibah Boardman, b. Feb. 16, 1701/2, d. Dec. 9, 1783 at Rocky Hill, Conn. (g.s.); m. Dec. 21, 1721 at Wethersfield (by her father-in-law), Dea. David Goodrich, Jr., s. of Col. David Goodrich and Hannah Wright, b. Dec. 8, 1694 at Wethersfield. He d. July 14, 1785 at Rocky Hill (g.s.) Eight children of the family.
Samuel Boreman (1615 - 1673)
Mary Betts Boreman (1623 - 1684)
Mercy Hubbard Boardman (1664 - 1712)*
Mercy Boardman Wright (1689 - ____)*
Joseph Boardman (1690 - 1692)*
Jonathan Boardman (1697 - 1775)*
Hepsibah Boreman Goodrich (1701 - 1783)*
Isaac Boardman (1643 - 1719)*
Mary Boardman Denison (1645 - 1721)*
Samuel Boardman (1648 - 1720)*
Joseph Boreman (1651 - 1676)*
John Boreman (1653 - 1676)*
Sarah Boardman Fitch (1655 - ____)*
Sarah Boardman Fitch (1655 - 1746)*
Daniel Boreman (1658 - 1724)*
Jonathan Boreman (1661 - 1712)
Nathaniel Boreman (1663 - 1712)*
Martha Boardman Terry (1666 - 1743)*
Body of Liev't
who died Sept.
21, 1712, aged 51
On the day Jonathan died he was 51 years old, and Ætatis suæ (i.e., Æ, "Aged," in the XX year of his Age) 52, not 51 as inscribed.
Wethersfield Village Cemetery
Plot: ancient burying ground (A-19-e & A-19-e)
Maintained by: Don Blauvelt
Originally Created by: Marie Bonafonte
Record added: Jul 17, 2007
Find A Grave Memorial# 20496325
In memory of my 7th great-uncle.|
Added: Jan. 13, 2016
Rest in Peace Uncle.|
Added: Mar. 26, 2014
for my 8th Great Grand Uncle|
Added: Apr. 19, 2013