|Birth: ||Sep. 14, 1714|
|Death: ||Sep. 23, 1780|
Oliver Goodrich, s. of Capt. Ephraim Goodrich and his 2nd wife Jerusha Treat, b. of record Sept. 14, 1714 at Wethersfield, Conn. where he d. Sept. 23, 1780, Æ 67 (g.s.). [see gravestone note below.]
On June 23, 1740 at Wethersfield, Oliver m. Temperance Wright, dau. of Dea. Ebenezer Wright and Sarah Butler, b. May 29, 1724 at Wethersfield. She d. Oct. 24, 1803 at Wethersfield, Æ 80 (g.s.).
Oliver and Temperance had nine documentable children, the eldest seven of record at Wethersfield: Roger, Sarah, Prudence, Temperance, Oliver, Millicent (d.y.) and Millicent. Stiles in his rendition of the family in his "Hist. of Ancient Wethersfield" (1902) relied on the Goodrich Geneal. to claim six additional children of the family not of birth record at Wethersfield: Pollicena, Ezekiel, Lucretia, Chloe, Wealthy and Oxinia.
My thanks to a fellow Goodrich family descendant for pointing me to the Connecticut Church Record Abstracts recently made available at Ancestry.com, which provide significant corrections to the printed version of this Goodrich family.
Of the additional children added by the Goodrich Gen., only Pollicena and Chloe, who have no recorded birth, are documentable children of the Oliver Goodrich and Temperance Wright family at Wethersfield. The 2nd Millicent Goodrich m. at Rocky Hill, but she and her husband apparently d. childless. Pollicena also married, but her marriage is not cross-referenced by her maiden surname in the Stepney Chh. Recs. to the counter-part record of John Marsh, Jr's marriage to her. Chloe also married and left a large family. However, no Ezekiel Goodrich exists as a child of either Oliver or as a named child in the families of Oliver's two sons. Lucretia, Wealthy and Oxinia were children of Oliver and Temperance's son Oliver, Jr. In particular, Oxinia was actually Roxanna, or Roxy, who married but she and her husband died young. Fortunately, they left gravestones at Rocky Hill for proof of their identity. Both Roxy and her husband's names were carried forward by the children of Roxy's brother Barzillai.
Following are the documentable children of Oliver Goodrich, Sr. and Temperance Wright (surname Goodrich):
• i. Roger, b. of record Oct. 4, 1741 at Wethersfield, d. Nov. 11, 1828 at Rocky Hill (Stepney C.R.) but had no extant gravestone in 1899; m. Prudence ___, who d. at Rocky Hill in 1818 (Stepney C.R.). Eight children of the family, but not son Barzillai as claimed by Stiles who was actually the child of Roger's brother Oliver, Jr.
• ii. Sarah, b. of record July 28, 1743 at Wethersfield; poss. the Sarah Goodrich who m. David Riley May 17, 1773 at Rocky Hill (Stepney C.R.).
• iii. Prudence, b. of record Aug. 10, 1745 at Wethersfield; nothing further uncovered.
• iv. Temperance, b. of record Oct. 10, 1747 at Wetherfield; poss. the Temperance Goodrich who m. David Smith Sept. 25, 1766 at Rocky Hill (Stepney C.R.).
• v. Capt. Oliver, Jr., b. of record Sept. 14, 1749 at Wethersfield, d. Mar. 1, 1830 at Rocky Hill (g.s.); m. Feb. 3, 1771, prob. Sarah Warner, dau. of Capt. Jonathan and Mary Warner of Wethersfield, b. circa 1753. She d. July 17, 1810 at Rocky Hill (g.s.). Eleven children of the family.
• vi. Millicent, b. of record Oct. 28, 1751 at Wethersfield where she in infancy July 12, 1752.
• vii. Millicent again, b. of record Sept. 25, 1754 at Wethersfield, d. June 2, 1826 at Rocky Hill (g.s.); m. Feb. 23, 1786 (Stepney C.R.), Wait Curtis, s. of Dea. Thomas Curtis and Dorothy Bulkley (q.v. Bulkeley), b. of record Jan. 1, 1750/1 at Wethersfield. He d. Mar. 11, 1808 at Rocky Hill (g.s.) They apparently d. childless as no town vital or church baptism record provides evidence of any children of the marriage.
• viii. Pollicena, aka Polly S., purportedly b. May 15, 1757 at either Wethersfield or Rocky Hill, but no town vital record exists confirming this date, d. Mar. 2, 1833 at Rocky Hill (g.s.); m. July 20, 1780 at Rocky Hill (Stepney C.R.), John Marsh, Jr., s. of John Marsh and Abigail Bulkley (q.v.), b. of record Sept. 27, 1753 at Wethersfield. He d. Dec. 8, 1836 at Rocky Hill (g.s.). Five children of baptism record in the Stepney C.R. but may be others shown in the Wethersfield church records.
• ix. Chloe, bapt. Sept. 8, 1765 at Rocky Hill (Stepney C.R.); m. in 1771 (Stepney C.R.) Calvin Winchell, s. of Hezekiah and Rachel, bapt. Sept. 15, 1765 at Berlin, Conn. They resided at Rocky Hill where nine children are of baptism record before being dismissed to the Kensington Chh. at Berlin in 1810 then recommended to the church at New Britain. Further evidence of them at New Britain has not been traced.
Ephraim Goodrich (1663 - 1739)
Jerusha Treat Goodrich (1678 - 1754)
Temperance Wright Goodrich (1724 - 1803)*
Oliver Goodrich (1749 - 1830)*
Richard Goodrich (1685 - 1759)**
Thomas Goodrich (1689 - 1761)**
Ephraim Goodrich (1693 - 1771)**
Gideon Goodrich (1695 - 1769)**
Sarah Goodrich Butler (1698 - 1795)**
William Goodrich (1701 - 1787)**
David Goodrich (1706 - 1779)**
William Wells (1706 - 1783)**
Oliver Goodrich (1714 - 1780)
Gurdon Goodrich (1717 - 1794)*
Per Tillotson's (1899) "Wethersfield Inscriptions" at Rocky Hill:
This Moniment is
in Memory of Mr.
who departed this
life Sept. 23d AD. 1780.
In the 66th year of
[As of 2011 his gravestone is broken and was lying face down on the ground to the left of wife Temperance's stone before the photo of his gravestone was taken by a descendent.]
Oliver's recorded date of birth on Sept. 14, 1714 is clearly contained in the original town record as copied by Barbour. Unless Oliver's birthdate is understated by one full year or Oliver was perhaps actually born on Sept. 24 versus Sept. 14, 1714, his gravestone inscription is in error. Until the early 1800s vitually all gravestones in New England used an abbreviation of the Latin phrase Ætatis suæ to represent a person's age at death, which is different than one's chronological age. Thus, on the day Oliver died he was 66 years old, and Ætatis suæ (i.e., Æ, "Aged," in the XX year of his Age) 67, not 66 as inscribed.
Maintained by: Don Blauvelt
Originally Created by: Carl Hoffstedt
Record added: Feb 18, 2007
Find A Grave Memorial# 17975054