|Birth: ||Nov. 3, 1836|
|Death: ||Oct. 2, 1898|
Born Maria Margaretha Beilstein in Lichtenberg, Hesse, Germany. She used the English version of her name after emigrating to the U.S.
Daughter of Christian and Elisabeth Catharina Beilstein. Married John Frederick Beilstein in 1858.
1. Sophia, b. May 1859; m. George J. Vogel.
2. Charles, b. Dec 1860, d. 3 Dec 1907 in Vandergrift, PA after a fall from a ladder.
3. Emma Susanne, b. Nov 1862, d. 1939; m. Nicholas Abraham Voegtly.
4. Edward G., b. 5 Sep 1864, d. 13 Nov 1898, by taking poison on his mother's grave; m. Margaret "Maggie" Grieves, 27 Jul 1886. Maggie died 26 Sep 1939.
5. Frederick J., b. 24 Aug 1868, d. after 1907; m. Louisa A. Dauer, 11 Sep 1888.
6. Mary "Mamie", b. 1874.
7. Bertha Augusta, b. 1877, d. Jul 1907 in Los Angeles, CA, of a brain tumor.
Five other children died young.
BEILSTEIN -- Suddenly, on Sunday morning, October 2, 1898, Mary M. BEILSTEIN, wife of J. F. BEILSTEN (sic) and beloved mother of Edward, Charles and Frederick B. BEILSTEIN. Funeral services Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Frauen and Jung Frauen Verein of Smithfield Society and Frauen and Jung Frauen of Weltershausen Verein are respectfully invited to attend.
(Source: Pittsburgh Commercial Gazette, Oct. 4, 1898)
Mary was shot dead by her youngest daughter Bertha, who then shot herself five times in the head and stomach and took a large dose of poison. Unbelievably, she survived and went on trial, resulting in a verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity. Bertha was sent to a mental hospital, from which she escaped. At the time of her death not long after, she was living in California under the name Olga Miller. After her death, it was discovered that she had been suffering from a brain tumor.
John Frederick Beilstein (1833 - 1897)
Edward G Beilstein (1855 - 1937)*
Emma Susan Beilstein Voegtly (1862 - 1939)*
Bertha Augusta Beilstein (1877 - 1907)*
Created by: HWA
Record added: Jan 25, 2014
Find A Grave Memorial# 124137594