|Birth: ||Jun. 18, 1866|
|Death: ||Apr. 10, 1907|
Rebecca P. (Carman) HARTLEY (1866-1907)
* father: Civil War Veteran, U.S. Private (for twelve days) Sheppard Ogden CARMAN (1843-1965) of Company A, Pennsylvania 20th Infantry Regiment. He is a salesman, then a Union soldier, then a driver, then a teamster. In the 1850 Federal Census for Southwark Ward 4, (Philadelphia county), Pennsylvania, USA, Sheppard is six years old and lives with his parents -- interesting is the fact that the family's neighbor is named Sheppard OGDEN (33, born in New Jersey). Sheppard CARMAN dies at the age of twenty-one-and-a-half of a compound fracture of the femur. Rebecca is born six months after her father's death.
* mother: Mary? Elizabeth S. B. (Cree) (Carman) (Shuster) HOHENSTEIN (1847-1917). Elizabeth's father was born in Scotland; her mother was born in Pennsylvania, USA. Elizabeth marries Civil War Veteran, U.S. Private (for twelve days) Sheppard Ogden CARMAN (1843-1965) of Company A, Pennsylvania 20th Infantry Regiment; they have one daughter Rebecca P. (Carman) HARTLEY (1866-1907). Sheppard works as a salesman, then a Union soldier, then a driver, then a teamster. As a widow, Elizabeth remarries Philip SHUSTER (1846-unknown/after 1910); they have one daughter Lillian U. "Lillie" (Shuster) VIRTUE (1879-1942) and one stillborn male child (1883). Philip works as a butcher. Elizabeth & Philip divorce. Elizabeth remarries Harry HOHENSTEIN (1859-1914). Both of Harry's parents were born in Germany. Harry works as a tin smith, then as a painter in a machine shop. The 1910 Federal Census lists Elizabeth & Harry as married, living at separate residences.
Note: Rebecca's death certificate does list "Sherman & Mary CARMON" as her parents. But I cannot find any other documents with those names. However, federal census records do account for a young Rebecca CARMAN living with her mother Elizabeth CARMAN in the home of William & Jane CREE -- who are Elizabeth (Cree) CARMAN's parents -- in both 1870 and 1880 in Philadelphia, (Philadelphia), Pennsylvania, USA. Also Sheppard Ogden CARMAN's mother's name is also Rebecca P. I am going to assume that Sheppard & Elizabeth are the correct parents. Also Sheppard CARMAN's 1865 death certificate lists his last residence as 513 Washington Avenue. The 1862 and 1866 Philadelphia Directories list William W. & Amanda HARTLEY's residence as 514 Washington Avenue, so Howard & Rebecca's parents were next-door neighbors before Howard & Rebecca were born.
* Mary? Elizabeth S. B. (Cree) (Carman) (Shuster) HOHENSTEIN (1847-1917) has three children on record:
1.) Rebecca P. (Carman) HARTLEY (1866-1907) marries Howard Jerome HARTLEY, Sr. (1868-1929); they have eight children. Howard works as a plumber. As a widower, Howard remarries Sarah J. (Goldschmidt) (Hartley) McVEY (1880-1952); Howard has two more children with Sarah. Both of Sarah's parents were born in The Netherlands. As a widow, Sarah remarries Joseph F. McVEY (unknown-unknown/before 1940).
2.) Lillian U. "Lillie" (Shuster) VIRTUE (1879-1942) marries Edward F. VIRTUE, Sr. (1872-1932); they have three children. Edward works as a machinist.
3.) (stillborn male) SHUSTER (1883-1883)
* Rebecca's father Sheppard Ogden CARMAN dies on December 23, 1865; Philadelphia, (Philadelphia), USA, which is six months before Rebecca is born. We think his cause of death says "compound fracture of femur."
* Rebecca is born June 18, 1866; in Philadelphia, (Philadelphia), Pennsylvania, USA.
* June 7, 1880; Philadelphia, (Philadelphia), Pennsylvania, USA
Rebecca CARMAN (15) and her two aunts Josephine CREE (20) and Kate CREE (14) work as box-makers.
* August 18, 1889; Cape May, (Cape May), New Jersey, USA
Rebecca, age 23, marries Howard Jerome HARTLEY, Sr. (1868-1929). Howard is 21. They live in Philadelphia, (Philadelphia), Pennsylvania, USA. He is a plumber. They move often -- which makes me wonder if Howard, Sr. possibly traded plumbing services for rent or something, but who knows.
* Howard, Sr. & Rebecca have eight children:
1.) U.S. Sergeant, Pennsylvania National Guard, Victor Aloysious "Vic" HARTLEY, Sr. (1890-1943) marries Caroline Josephine "Callie" (MacAtee) HARTLEY (1891-1977); they have six children. Vic, Sr. works as a boiler maker and Licensed Maritime Ship Inspector. Callie becomes a nurse after her children are born.
2.) Howard Jerome HARTLEY, Jr. (1892-1956) marries Anna Elizabeth (Scheid) HARTLEY (1894-1982); they have four children.
3.) Rebecca Grace HARTLEY (1894-unknown) marries Mr. JACKSON (unknown-unknown/before 1940); they have three sons. Also marries Francis M. COURTNEY; they have one son. I am not sure which man she married first.
4.) U.S. Private, Pennsylvania National Guard, Warren Francis HARTLEY, Sr. (1895-unknown/before 1929) marries Olga (Nawrath) (Hartley) McLEMORE (1897-1931); they have four children. Warren, Sr. works as a laborer in rubber-making. Olga was born in Germany; her parents were both born in Germany, too. As a widow, Olga remarries Robert Louis McLEMORE (1900-unknown).
5.) Wilfred Joseph HARTLEY (1897-unknown)
6.) Edward Lawrence HARTLEY (1900-1901) lives fourteen months.
7.) George Bertram HARTLEY, Sr. (1902-1985) marries Mary Clare Christine (Haley) HARTLEY (1900-1981); they have three? sons. George works as a tool-maker. Mary is an artistic painter.
8.) Mary Florence G. HARTLEY (1904-1926) lives twenty-two years.
* Rebecca dies 6:30 A.M., April 10, 1907; Saint Timothy's Hospital, Philadelphia, (Philadelphia), Pennsylvania, USA.
Æ 40 years, 9 months, 23 days
Cause of death: chief -- chronic interstitial nephritis (lasting 4 years); contributing -- purpura and uremia (lasting 20 days)
* Rebecca is buried April 13, 1907; Holy Cross Cemetery, Yeadon, (Delaware), Pennsylvania, USA.
* Section 13, Range 8, Lot 23, Grave 2
Buried together in Grave 2 are:
1.) Rebecca P. (Carman) HARTLEY (1866-1907)
2.) son, Edward Lawrence HARTLEY (1900-1901)
3.) Sylvia HARTLEY (1911-1911) is the daughter of Howard, Sr. & his second-wife Sarah.
* Rebecca's widower husband Howard Jerome HARTLEY, Sr. (1868-1929) remarries Sarah J. (Goldschmidt) (Hartley) McVEY (1880-1952). Howard, Sr. is buried alone in an unmarked lot in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Cheltenham, (Montgomery), Pennsylvania, USA. Also buried in this other cemetery are Howard & Rebecca's daughter Mary Florence G. HARTLEY (1904-1926) and son U.S. Sgt. Victor Aloysious "Vic" HARTLEY, Sr. (1890-1943) & his wife Caroline Josephine "Callie" (MacAtee) HARTLEY (1891-1977).
Sheppard Ogden Carman (1844 - 1865)
Mary ? Elizabeth S B Cree Carman Shuster Hohenstein (1847 - 1917)
Howard Jerome Hartley (1868 - 1929)*
Victor Aloysious Hartley (1890 - 1943)*
Edward Lawrence Hartley (1900 - 1901)*
Florence G Hartley (1904 - 1926)*
Rebecca P Carman Hartley (1866 - 1907)
Lillian U Shuster Virtue (1879 - 1942)**
(grave has no grave marker)
Holy Cross Cemetery
Plot: Section 13, Range 8, Lot 23, Grave 2
Created by: David Christopher Benton
Record added: Dec 10, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 121539298